Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: FLORIDA

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FLORIDA

So......

Thinking of going to Florida prob 2014 so we hav time to save up so can enjoy it to the full...not much point getting there and saying o dear can't afford to do that as not got enough money etc..

If we save well or win the lottery we can go sooner lol although I know getting flights booked early is a good thing

So.....

Those that have been can you give me any info or tips to help?
    Eg who did you book with, flights?, hotels? Where did you visit, car hire, how much did it cost, food etc etc

Please as much info as poss....many thanks
    XX Jill XX

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably going back then ourselves - trip number 5 I think.....

We ALWAYS book each bit separately - works out a lot cheaper than buying a package through a company. Most of our flights have been indirect (ie through Continental to New York) as works out cheaper and we actually prefer their flights to Virgin - wouldnt recommend it with young children though but if they are older is really easier (baggage allowance is bigger as well)

Try looking at the Dibb - great website (we have always got villas from there and can recommend locations and villas we have stayed in).

Really it depends on the age of any children you have and what kind of things you hope to do... its an amazing place with so much going on. I have done the tourist stuff (parks, water parks) and the not so tourist stuff (shopping at 'normal' outlets, Daytona for Nascar, Sedgeway tour, gun range).....

If you would rather PM me feel free and I can give an idea to prices but it depends on how many of you and when in 2014 you want to go - american holidays are different and they have a lot of Brazilian tour groups you want to avoid as well as hurricane season....

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashaleee View Post
    Probably going back then ourselves - trip number 5 I think.....

We ALWAYS book each bit separately - works out a lot cheaper than buying a package through a company. Most of our flights have been indirect (ie through Continental to New York) as works out cheaper and we actually prefer their flights to Virgin - wouldnt recommend it with young children though but if they are older is really easier (baggage allowance is bigger as well)

Try looking at the Dibb - great website (we have always got villas from there and can recommend locations and villas we have stayed in).

Really it depends on the age of any children you have and what kind of things you hope to do... its an amazing place with so much going on. I have done the tourist stuff (parks, water parks) and the not so tourist stuff (shopping at 'normal' outlets, Daytona for Nascar, Sedgeway tour, gun range).....

If you would rather PM me feel free and I can give an idea to prices but it depends on how many of you and when in 2014 you want to go - american holidays are different and they have a lot of Brazilian tour groups you want to avoid as well as hurricane season....
    Thanks I have pm you

We are 2 adults 2 kids 8 & 15 but will be older when we go

Will go for 2 weeks and want to try do bit of everything really

Will probably go summer or October hols so between beg of July and mid August or usually second two weeks in October..would prob prefer summer though later on..say beg August but would be willing to be flex if it's cheaper!
    XX Jill XX

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We went in May 2009. Booked with jetsave as we wernt confident to do it all separately. Booked a Disney villa as we didn't like the idea of all being in a hotel room. Although if you do decide on a Disney hotel you get a pass to get in early.
    We had the best holiday ever

I've just booked to go again in July 2013. Would have liked to go again in May but DS is 14 in April and it's not good for him to be having time off school.
    We were going to book separate flight and villa, car hire etc but found a good deal with cosmos that meant we could book it and pay by May. No idea how much it compares to what other people paid but for 4 adults (kids are 14 and 11) it cost £4200 for a detached villa with pool, flights with monarch, car hire fully comp. we paid £4500 in 2009 so I thought this was a good price.

I looked at flights separately and best price I could get was £2400 for 4 people flying from Gatwick. We knew where we wanted the villa (in kissimmee) and price was good privately rented but I haven't saved so couldn't pay for the flight straight away.
    I would recommend thedibb website, lots of tips and money saving ideas
    I would also recommend getting a disney book off amazon, it was a good help for us.
    When you get over there prices are really good (if the dollar is good) I think we spent 1000dollars over 2 weeks for all food and spends, which worked out at about £600 ish. We didnt go shopping for clothes though but wish we had.
    Last edited by JCrakers; 02-09-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    We went in May 2009. Booked with jetsave as we wernt confident to do it all separately. Booked a Disney villa as we didn't like the idea of all being in a hotel room. Although if you do decide on a Disney hotel you get a pass to get in early.
    We had the best holiday ever

I've just booked to go again in July 2013. Would have liked to go again in May but DS is 14 in April and it's not good for him to be having time off school.
    We were going to book separate flight and villa, car hire etc but found a good deal with cosmos that meant we could book it and pay by May. No idea how much it compares to what other people paid but for 4 adults (kids are 14 and 11) it cost £4200 for a detached villa with pool, flights with monarch, car hire fully comp. we paid £4500 in 2009 so I thought this was a good price.

I looked at flights separately and best price I could get was £2400 for 4 people flying from Gatwick. We knew where we wanted the villa (in kissimmee) and price was good privately rented but I haven't saved so couldn't pay for the flight straight away.
    I would recommend thedibb website, lots of tips and money saving ideas
    I would also recommend getting a disney book off amazon, it was a good help for us.
    When you get over there prices are really good (if the dollar is good) I think we spent 1000dollars over 2 weeks for all food and spends, which worked out at about £600 ish. We didnt go shopping for clothes though but wish we had.

Thanks so much for this info.

I'm not sure about booking separate either for my first time - so much could go wrong I think but we will see.

Thanks again will have look at website
    XX Jill XX

Post Thanks / Like

Go on a site called thedibb more info on there than anywhere, it's fab

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We booked everything separately and saved a lot of money by doing so. We flew direct with Virgin, and stayed in a villa we found on panoramic villas web site. We organised our own hire car and bought all our passes to the parks here.

Whilst there food is really cheap and plentiful! Petrol is very cheap if you have a hire car.

We didn't really do shopping, though the children bought lots of things from the park shops, which are expensive!

We went the week after the October half term so there weren't many queues for even the most popular of rides, and everywhere was dressed up for Halloween which was good! Also the weather wasn't too hot, which it can be in the summer.
    Francine X

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks

Have just had quick look at dibbs wil have proper look later thanks zippy
    XX Jill XX

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by francinejayne View Post
    We booked everything separately and saved a lot of money by doing so. We flew direct with Virgin, and stayed in a villa we found on panoramic villas web site. We organised our own hire car and bought all our passes to the parks here.

Whilst there food is really cheap and plentiful! Petrol is very cheap if you have a hire car.

We didn't really do shopping, though the children bought lots of things from the park shops, which are expensive!

We went the week after the October half term so there weren't many queues for even the most popular of rides, and everywhere was dressed up for Halloween which was good! Also the weather wasn't too hot, which it can be in the summer.

Thanks were your flights much more expensive with virgin?
    And was the flight ok? Comfy etc as its quite long ?.meals?...films?

Sorry lots questions
    XX Jill XX

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a dibber on my 14th trip in two weeks

feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We're going next year (fly april 30th) and I've paid £3000 for 2 adults 1 child with car hire (all inclusive) and private villa. I've booked extra leg room seats and extra luggage with that price

I booked with Thomas Cook as it is my first time I wanted an all inclusive package. I tried to break it down and book separately but it was about the same price so I booked the package.

Travel insurance I got free through my bank.

I can't wait!!

I've just got to buy the park tickets and we're all set!!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Demonjill if you are looking for everything all together from one travel agent i recommend that you go to them the first week of the new brouchers coming out, which is about April time the year before you are going.

We booked in April this year to go next April/may. It is me, partner and our little girl who is 3. We are staying in Port Orleans which is a Disney hotel, and the cost including flights, car hire, and park tickets was £3500 (we only booked the ultimate 14 day Disney park hopper, as we are not going to universal)

Because we booked it before July we also all got free 14 day dining passes for each of us, which means that we can have lunch, dinner, and 2 snacks each day from the quick dining restaurants which are in all the parks and attractions

Overall i think we ended up with a good value for money deal.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We too are looking at going in 2014 and it will be are first time to Florida so thanks for the useful info...there will be 6 of us so its going to cost a lot

At the moment we are trying to decide if we will be better in a villa or hotel!
    Pixie Dust

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonjill View Post
    Thanks were your flights much more expensive with virgin?
    And was the flight ok? Comfy etc as its quite long ?.meals?...films?

Sorry lots questions
    Can't remember the cost sorry, hubbie sorted it all out and he's very money savvy so I'm sure it would have been cheaper!

The flight was fine, leg room was adequate and hubbie is 6foot tall, there were loads of films to choose from and you have your own tv and headset - enough to keep everyone amused! Meals were really good too!
    Francine X