babies at work?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: babies at work?

Post Thanks / Like

Default babies at work?

Is anyone watching this on BBC2? It just looks like chaos with babies being passed around to anyone who seems to be free at the time.
    Somedays I struggle to work with the kids around and it's job

Post Thanks / Like

sorry didn't check in here before I posted

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I watched it, goodness what a distraction for the adults in the offices. The poor children not getting fresh air, routines all over the place and quite a few frazzled mums! Part two tomorrow evening the experiment goes on and will last for a month!

Post Thanks / Like

goodness what a distraction for the adults in the offices.
    None of them seemed to mind having the babies there but I wonder how tolerant they would have been if the cameras weren't there and the novelty had worn off after a few weeks of babies crying.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw this on Daybreak this morning. It looked like mayhem. I suppose it depends on the type of job you do. If I was phoning a call centre I wouldn't expect to hear crying babies in the back ground. It reminds me a bit of The Brittas Empire where the receptionist keeps her baby in the drawer while she is working.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kel1983 View Post
    Saw this on Daybreak this morning. It looked like mayhem. I suppose it depends on the type of job you do. If I was phoning a call centre I wouldn't expect to hear crying babies in the back ground. It reminds me a bit of The Brittas Empire where the receptionist keeps her baby in the drawer while she is working.

Don't give them ideas! But seriously not everyone works in an office. I just can't see why employers can't just give up some space in the office for a creche and pay a few childcare workers to look after the children? They don't stay immobile for long. What about crawling babies and the staff walking around with hot tea/coffee. RA nightmare!
    Biggest problem is pay rates. If people got a decent wage in the first place we would not have to work such silly hours/pay out so much money for childcare.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Did it just focus on office workers? What about doctors, hairdressers, judges, firefighters...

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone actually thought of the detrimental impact on the children??

I havent watched it as i think i'd end up shouting at the TV so much.....if everyone just took their kids to work how would they experience any of the rewarding, and fun activities childminders, nurserys, pre-schools etc offer children??? The EYFS however frustrating is there for a reason... grrrr

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

What really made me chuckle this morning was the MD of the company and was talking about the ages and said that basically you can "control" babies better than toddlers...

Control babies... really? I love to see him "control" a tired, hungry, teething baby.

Everyone has banged on about how the parents feel, the colleagues feel, the bosses feel... even the clients on the phone... How it is better financially... Never mind at all how the children feel.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I watched it last night I felt quite stressed afterwards!. I can't imagine having to concentrate at work whilst caring for a child at the same time. I mind 4 children 3 days a week and rarely get the washing machine on let alone a hot cup of tea! I don't do anything other than look after the children and make sure they have a fun, busy, stimulating day with lots of attention and cuddles. My day off is when I finally manage to get things done and catch up with all the jobs I haven't managed to get done during my working week.

I really can't see how this could work it would make it very difficult for members of staff to stay focussed and I suspect resentment would soon surface. I worry about whether the enviroment would be safe and stimulating.

Also what about the poor parents who would effectively be trying to do 2 jobs at once, probably neither properly. I think It would just increase the level of guilt already felt by working parents.

Oh and why when the cost of childcare is mentioned on TV why does NOBODY ever mention the fact that a large amount if not all of the cost is met by Tax Credits!!

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

i think that it could work with under 6/7months old... when child spend most of his time eating or sleeping but after that i don't think it's fair on children.

But they did say that it would only be for 1or 2 days a week or a couple of part time hours not for a full time employment as they said office wouldn't be suitable for children for longer period of time

i wouldn't even think of doing an office job with a kid...i'd go to work in an office to run away from kids ah ah ah a h ah