Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Feel a bit sorry for the sil

The sil has suffered with mice for a few weeks and tried all the usual traps etc but sat crying yesterday morn as she could hear them through the night and in the morning (she works form home) so a rash decision she went and brought a kitten (we have offered for our 2 cats to sleepover, as it will be a long while until this little kitty will do anything). I went round last night to have a cuddle and found 2 fleas sil didn't know what she was looking for when went to view, she has brought powder and I went and fetched front line for her dog and house spray, she has done nothing but cry since with the kitten cuddled up to her all night.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no. If the problem is that bad would it not be worth contacting the Council or a firm like Rentokil for some professional advise?

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

She has had both the council and a pest control company out,and she has followed all they have advised; all food stuffs in lidded boxes and bait/traps down, pet foods in shed boxed as well. They maybe feeding from the rabbits hutch so she is being fed little and often and nothing seems to be working. She thinks the problem has come from next door being renovated and now left empty 'for sale'. She's just hoping she caught the flea problem before that becomes a problem too

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I once had mice. I hated the feeling and could hear them at night too (not sure how much was my imagination).

Only further thing I would suggest is to make sure all holes are blocked up. DH spent a good few days blocking up every little crack and hole he could find with expanding foam. After that, the traps caught the final one, and we have been mice free for 4 years now.

Fleas are easily sorted. Can you still buy flea bombs ?

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Has she tried the plug in devices? x

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    I once had mice. I hated the feeling and could hear them at night too (not sure how much was my imagination).

Only further thing I would suggest is to make sure all holes are blocked up. DH spent a good few days blocking up every little crack and hole he could find with expanding foam. After that, the traps caught the final one, and we have been mice free for 4 years now.

Fleas are easily sorted. Can you still buy flea bombs ?
    I will pass this advice on, Thank you

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpots View Post
    Has she tried the plug in devices? x
    She's had one plugged in for about a fortnight now and the little beasts are still there???

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Iv e got all.holes stuffed with wire wool! works a treat

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Know exactly what shes going through. One of my DD had a mouse run across her bedroom frightened the life out of her poor thing. Had pest control in and they have laid bait but said it could take 2-3 weeks to sort out and have to leave the hole its made in the floorboards open, great!! The noise at night/early morning is terrifying I can hear them in the walls, under the floor boards (they sound massive!!) I've hardly slept not to mention the thought of them waking my dd's up and scaring them to death. I know there only little and oldest dd has 2 pet mice which are very sweet. Anyway had a decent sleep last night had one of my cats in all night and this seemed to help, did hear them but the cat went straight over to where the sound was started sniffing and meowing and the noise stopped. I hope she gets the problem sorted soon its very stressful

Kimmy050983 Guest

Sonya we had the same a couple of weeks ago, I never slept it so creeped me out!! But boyfriend filled all the holes and put poison down in the end and we haven't ahd any any more.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

we've had mice a couple of times. had the council out both times who were great - but by law they are not allowed to put traps down as the traps have to be checked frequently and they don't have the manpower (traps are classed as inhumane as it is possible for a mouse to become trapped but not get killed so it could suffer until it is found and then subsequently killed)

as well as having the council's poison, we bought our own traps, used nutella as bait (it has to be something sticky that they have to chew on, something they can snatch and run away with isn't good enough, nutella or peanut butter are ideal) and within an hour we had caught a mouse! the traps were really cheap from b&q, we had 4 dotted about.

it is a horrid feeling knowing you have mice in your house, I felt like my house wasn't clean.

oh and we have 2 cats who were completely useless in catching the mice!!
    Francine X

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

its my cat who brings the mice in and lets them go

he does then tend to catch them again.

we have the humane traps, baited with peanut butter, and have them sitting along a wall/under units where a mouse is likely to run. we check them every day when we think we might have a mouse and then take them to the woods. i'm thinking about microchipping them though, as i'm sure istteh same mouse the cat keeps bringing back !!!

goodluck to OP sil with the fleas. our cat, when arrived as a kitten came complete with fleas! we use frontline on the cat. the vets have a strong one.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmy050983 View Post
    Sonya we had the same a couple of weeks ago, I never slept it so creeped me out!! But boyfriend filled all the holes and put poison down in the end and we haven't ahd any any more.
    Hope ours don't hang around to long, good to here yours haven't come back !I'm really missing sleep must look terrible hope I don't scare the lo's

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

living where we do on a farm it is not unusual to have the odd visitor

our dog is a ratter/mouser so that helps. do feel a bit mean but it has to be done or we would be over run. Also set our own traps in the loft with peanut butter which they love!

we have bats in the loft but they are left alone and are very quiet really cute to look at too
    Happy to be back with the Greenies