Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you worry about your future?

As in health wise?

This thread may be a bit morbid, self indulgent and basically a load of waffle that makes no sense lol.

I have Stage 3 CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) I had reflux as a baby and an op at about the age of 5 and had problems ever since.

My kidneys were OK until I was about 18 when my BP went up, then I had my kids and now I take such a high dosage of Blood Pressure meds not to mention because of this I have high cholesterol and have to take Statins. My iron is low so am on Iron meds as well.

Last year I was also diagnosed with Endometriosis, Polycystic Ovaries and Cervical Erosion and had to have more surgery. I find out as well that in April my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer and because both my Mum and sister were in their 40's and also our great aunties had it, now myself, other sister and niece now have to be tested for a faulty gene that if we have got it, puts us at an 80% increased risk of developing a female cancer!

I have been to the hospital and referred for genetic counselling but the consultant wants me to have regualar screening, but because I am not even 30 yet I can't have a mamogram, but will need an MRI....

Issue... I have kidney disease and MRI's in patients with any kind of kidney damage can cause another health problem which can be fatal therefore patiens with kidney damage are advised against MRI's

So all of that together, my kidneys, possible increase risk of female cancer, the other "downstairs" issues which also increase cancer and the risk of MRI's makes me feel like I am fighting a losing battle IYSWIM.

Ugh... bit of a poo day today... Roll on tomorrow. Sorry for waffling, feel a tad better though.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

oh hon. so sorry. sending a hug. why can't you have a mammogram? I know they don't normally screen until after 30 but didn't know you couldn't have a mammogram?
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

it is not so much I 'can't' but more that they are not aas effective. Breast tissue is far denser when you are younger and not so easily flattened lol. Also I think it is harder to see if there is a tumour.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Emma
    I read your thread earlier but was on my phone at the time and couldn't reply properly (plus busy with mindees!) but I just wanted to say
    It must be very difficult in your situation trying to figure out which is the lesser of 2 evils. I have a friend (also called Emma which is spooky!) who should be tested for the faulty gene but doesn't want to know. Her Aunt has fought and recovered from BC and her mum is going through a double mastectomy at the moment.
    Is the MRI the only way they can screen you? If you don't carry the gene will you still have to be screened?

My mum was diagnosed with BC at the age of 46 (sadly lost the battle at aged 49) and her mother also had BC twice. I am fast approaching the same age (I’m 36 this year) and it's scares the hell out of me at times, the thought of leaving my two little princesses without a mummy gives me panic attacks
    Reading that back it all seems like pure waffle but I just wanted to lend an ear and offer some support x

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've undergone genetic counselling because my mum died of BC and less than 2 yrs later my maternal aunt caught it. I will point out the same thing as I was advised. Because BC is so widespread - it is very likely that BC can hit the same family a few times - co-incidentaly and not genetically.

What you can do is keep you body as clean as possible to minimise the risks in you. Eat healthy, take exercise, keep weight down, don't drink too much and keep stress to the minimum in your life. Keep your immune system as healthy as you can.

To be honest though pet - we all have the potential to be mown down by a car tomorrow - when our final exit is here - its here - naturally, medically, accidentally - so just enjoy the here and now.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I think I just get so annoyed because I try to be so healthy, do everything by the book. When I was pregnant I quit smoking, drinking, ate healthy, took my vitamins, yet still ended up very ill with Pre-Ecplampsia and not holding my son for two days, when there were ladies there smoking on the hospital grounds, don't do things properly and have perfect pregnancies.

As for screening, because the amount of ladies on the maternal side with Cancer BEFORE 50 I will still be screened, but how often will depend on the results. They can do scans, but I don't think they are as good as MRI's and mamograms. Not sure what else they can do TBH.

With regards to ever getting a cancer diagnosis, or being told I am at risk, I feel really calm and at ease with it all as I know something is being done to detect it early. Funny I thought I would the other way round.

I think what irks me so much is having all these health issues despite me doing everything I can I get one problem which can cause an other problem, that then gets in the way of detecting potentally another problem... Someone up there needs to give me a break lol

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

yes but thats the problem. Because you are being healthy and forward thinking - your experience is the effects of being healthy and forward thinking - which are not perfect granted. But if you were throwing caution to the wind, being unhealthy and treating you body like poo - you might experience a much worse reaction health wise.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...