Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning about God at 6.

My son is in year 1 and has been learning about God. Making comments like God makes babys and today I (as in me) HAD to say thank you to God for the sunshine. In the car he said he is a Christian and when he grows up he wants to go to church every Sunday and be a proper christian who reads a bible and is good. Everything is because of God, the house we live in, the money we spend, the cars we drive...

Now please don't get me wrong I am happy with whatever my son wants to do when he is older and will supprt his choices. I went to Catholic primary school which I personally hated.

I just am not sure how I feel about the level at what he is talking about God, I don't really believe in God but that is not to say I will stamp all over people who do, I am very respectful in what others believe, I just feel a little uncomfortable that my son takes everything literally and says Gid is real. What happens when he learns about other religions, he is going to get confused.

Not sure why I am posting, or even if I have made any sense at all. I just wish they didn't do all this religious stuff so young, my son struggles with reading, writing and numbers... he does not need to be learning about God.

Any advice? Tell me I am over reacting? Ideas how to explain better to my son?

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He will probably be studying various religions as part of his curriculum so in a month's time he will probably want to be Hindu or Muslim.

I can understand your heebie jeebies over this - I too was unhappily convent educated - but don't worry too much. He is at the age where everything is real ... dinosaurs, monsters, fairies, Santa, God. Boys being boys also get a little obsessed with one subject, until they move onto another one.

Is his school connected to a church in any way?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you are over reacting! Is it a religious school??? Where is he getting all this stuff? I went to a C of E school as a child and beleived all we were told about God at his age because I trusted that the teachers were teaching me facts.

It's a difficult one. There is so much to worry about with your kids. I wouldn't make any fuss about what he is saying at the moment. It might be a subject that has interested him and will run it's course. As long as he is aware of other religions and scientific explanations about things he can make up his own mind when he is ready.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think youre over-reacting , and I think youre underestimating your son. He is hearing about God and its obviously interested him , but he will have the ability to learn all about other religions without being confused. Ive got a yr1 5year old. He leans about all sorts of things about his world - history , geography , religion... reading , writing and numbers are learned through these ' themes' as much as any other way..and we all know theres so much more to learning than numeracy and literacy.
    Only you can decide whether to share your own views with him..maybe a simple sentence such as ''yes , thats what a lot of people believe..'' when he starts telling you about God.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You could get a children's book from the library that looks at all sorts of world religions from a child's point of view so you can discuss different cultures and beliefs with him yourself so he gets a broader look at things.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I think youre over-reacting , and I think youre underestimating your son. He is hearing about God and its obviously interested him , but he will have the ability to learn all about other religions without being confused. Ive got a yr1 5year old. He leans about all sorts of things about his world - history , geography , religion... reading , writing and numbers are learned through these ' themes' as much as any other way..and we all know theres so much more to learning than numeracy and literacy.
    Only you can decide whether to share your own views with him..maybe a simple sentence such as ''yes , thats what a lot of people believe..'' when he starts telling you about God.
    I do get what you are saying about education, but geography, history etc are based on facts, where as religion is based on belief. He has been going on about it for almost a year on and off, I just thought it was a phase, like you all say... but he is increasingly getting more and more...obsessed.

I don't make a massive deal about it to him. However I do correct some facts... like when he said God made babies I told him rightly or wrongly that, that was not the case. i explained that Babies are made by Mummys and Daddys and the facts he will have to wait for until he was older, which he accepted.

However today when explaining about the weather he shouted at me telling me it was because of God. My son has some difficulties in learning and I guess I just worry he is not grasping the concept of belief.

I have never lied to my son about how things are, if he asks a question I am honest, even if I have to say he is too young to know, I guess I feel that him being told God makes it rain just frustrates me, it will confuse him because on one hand he is thinking God makes the weather then he will learn about climates etc.

I guess I think 6 is too young because teachers cannot get childrent o understand it is a BELIEF not a fact...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I get unhappy that my daughter's school often has the local vicar in to conduct a christian assembly. Not all of the children are christian and there are never any assemblies conducted by other religions.

I'm all for children learning about religions (it's a topic I find very interesting despite having no religion myself), but I don't particularly want my child taking part in a religious assembly where they say prayers and sing hymns and get told that this is the truth. I would take them to church if I wanted that.

But it's never really bothered me enough to do anything about it though. It just niggles me!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe have a word with his school if it has been going on for that long.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Bless him if hes struggling to understand some things its probably his way of simplfying things - that its beacuse of God. I do think that good teachers of year one classes help children distinguish well between 'opinion' and 'fact'. Maybe as Bridey suggested a simplified ' religions of the world' book you can share with him might show that lots of people believe in God , but there are lots who believe other things too. I wouldnt worry though - as his understanding and maturity grows he will decide for himself - much as although you were probably taught this as 'fact' at primary school you now have developed quite different views.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

It is so hard. DH and I talk about this all the time. Having a belief, not necessarily about God. My Mum believes in angels and is very spiritual, and my best friend is Christian. They get such amazing inner strength because of their belief. When my Mum got cancer she said her angels guided her through, which when you think about it is a good way of being strong. It is nice to believe in something.

It is such a shame is was rammed so hard down my throat, we had to pray when we got in to class, at break time, lunch time and home time. I remember saying about God was not real and I was given lines. makes me shudder now thinking about.

I like to book idea and he loves reading so may just do that.

Thank you guys xxx

BuggsieMoo Guest

My daughter (5) goes to a CofE school - I too was raised a catholic. She is very 'into' god and jesus. Everything is because of them etc. However I just accept that she is 5 and this is her latest fad like Barbies, Ponies etc. Indeed she does book club and all she ever buys is Bibles (she had 7 at one stage!). All I did was ask the school to reign in her spending on them and direct her towards other books - which they did. I also speak to her class teacher at drop off and advise how she told me god did this that or the other and they help her to understand it is just a belief. Im happy for her to have this belief and if she wants to develop this later on in life, again I am happy. I am thankful that I have a child who is so eager to tell me about things and who is clearly enjoying school, listening and 'learning'. She'll grow up and until then it will no doubt be a phase that will change - certainly in September when she starts at a new school (we're miltary and moving in 5 weeks) that is not CofE.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

ours were taught from reception age and its not a religious school but they have somone come in from the church teaching them,, my son come home one day very confused over the noahs ark story,, he had been told that god told noah to build an ark and to gather his family and 2 of each animal to put on the ark then god made the rain came which washed all the bad people away, my son was horrifyied that god had 'killed' all those people then worried the same woudl happen to him, I explained it all to him a little better and he was ok but now when I get people knocking on the door pestering us to join their religion I ask them if their belif includes the noahs ark story and when they say yes then I explain my sons version of the story and tell them that I do not support murders and it soon shuts them up and sends them running I must state that I do not belive this version and have my own belifs regarding God etc but I wouldnt ever impose these on anyone else including my own children who will decide for themselves what to belive when they are old enough
    so no I dont think you are over reacting

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so please we live in a free country where everyone is able to express their opinion openly without fear and that we have people who fight for our freedom of speech.......

BUT I do not like comments that have reduced God to the the same level as monsters, fairies and santa... Some people do believe that God is the truth, have faith, did design the world and live by his word...

Also it is normal for a school in a Christian country to have 90% of their religious education Christian based, unless the school can prove it is in an area dominated by another faith.

Would you find it offensive if I said everyone who didn't believe in God was dammed and going to hell??? probably, so it's a good job I'm not saying that isn't it...........
    God Bless xx T

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tina O View Post
    I'm so please we live in a free country where everyone is able to express their opinion openly without fear and that we have people who fight for our freedom of speech.......

BUT I do not like comments that have reduced God to the the same level as monsters, fairies and santa... Some people do believe that God is the truth, have faith, did design the world and live by his word...

Also it is normal for a school in a Christian country to have 90% of their religious education Christian based, unless the school can prove it is in an area dominated by another faith.

Would you find it offensive if I said everyone who didn't believe in God was dammed and going to hell??? probably, so it's a good job I'm not saying that isn't it...........
    So if you are "not" saying it, why make that kind of a comment? I am not against faith, beliefs, religion what I am saying is I personally am not overly pleased with just HOW much my son is learning about God at such a young age where to him everything is real.

I think that religion should be taught at school, but at an age where children understand it is not factual. So they don't get confused as to why things are, my son is very bright and is like a sponge and take everything literally.

The other day when talking about the national anthem, Cameron asked me "Mummy, did God really save the Queen?" and as funny as that question was at the time, I also found it very annoying that all this teaching of God is confusing him. I feel I am constantly having to tell him the facts.

I do not believe in God, I can't help that. I am not being offensive in anyway... How would you feel if your child came home and said "God isn't real, we have been learning about the facts at school!" Why is it OK for someone to tell my child about God, but it would NOT be ok for the opposite?

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    So if you are "not" saying it, why make that kind of a comment? (1) I am not against faith, beliefs, religion what I am saying is I personally am not overly pleased with just HOW much my son is learning about God at such a young age where to him everything is real.

I think that religion should be taught at school, but at an age where children understand it is not factual (2) . So they don't get confused as to why things are, my son is very bright and is like a sponge and take everything literally.

The other day when talking about the national anthem, Cameron asked me "Mummy, did God really save the Queen (3) ?" and as funny as that question was at the time, I also found it very annoying that all this teaching of God is confusing him. I feel I am constantly having to tell him the facts.

I do not believe in God, I can't help that. I am not being offensive in anyway... How would you feel if your child came home and said "God isn't real, we have been learning about the facts at school!" (4) Why is it OK for someone to tell my child about God, but it would NOT be ok for the opposite?
    Emma Reed,

1. To highlight a point; some comments that people make against religion is very offensive, but of course it's NEVER meant to be that way.......

2. I find this very offensive because to me God is FACT.

3. The Queen is the head of the Church of England and is known as God 's representative on earth. She is not just the defender of 'The Christian faith' but the defender of 'The Faith', whatever yours may be.

4. This is normal, routinely children are told that God isn't real and that saddens me. Just look at the way that God and Christ have been taken out of Christian holidays now, on every level, not just schools.

We could debate this forever........
    God Bless xx T

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I get irritated by my sons school with regard to religious teaching. The only religion taught so far is the christian religion. Every school assembly all the children, regardless of their families, or their own religion, are made to bow their heads and pray to the christian god. I have brought it up with the school before and I get fobbed off with 'we will look at other religions at some point'.

I don't have much of a problem with the kids being taught about chrisitianity, as one of many religions but I do have a problem with my son being taught and instructed in chrisitianity as the one true religion. I have a huge problem with him being forced to worship as a christian.

I have mentioned before, I am not a christian.

As a childminder I do not have any of my charges worship in my religion and I don't feel that school, a place of education, is the correct institution to be forcing my child to worship any religion.

So no, you are not over reacting when you say you have a hard time with your child being instructed in a religion and being told that this is the one true religion. Education of the worlds religion is a completely different thing to indoctrination in one religion. All religions should be taught objectively and with the same weight. This is just not happening in this country.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know I'm on a sticky wicket

I lied in confession

Emma, if it's any consolation, my son attended a C of E school, with a Catholic Head, I would say he 'believed' what he was told about the big man, rather than believed IN him, until he was about 9/10, and now declares himself to not believe at the age of 11.

We've had some very interesting/amusing conversations over the last few years without the whole hell, fire and damnation thing I had during my very catholic upbringing.
    If you are concerned, to be honest, could you not discuss his views on other religions, maybe introduce him to the wider world views, and the similarities/differences between them.

I gather he has an inquisitve mind so his thought process with his new information could well surprise you

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    I get irritated by my sons school with regard to religious teaching. The only religion taught so far is the christian religion. Every school assembly all the children, regardless of their families, or their own religion, are made to bow their heads and pray to the christian god. I have brought it up with the school before and I get fobbed off with 'we will look at other religions at some point'.

I don't have much of a problem with the kids being taught about chrisitianity, as one of many religions but I do have a problem with my son being taught and instructed in chrisitianity as the one true religion. I have a huge problem with him being forced to worship as a christian.

I have mentioned before, I am not a christian.

As a childminder I do not have any of my charges worship in my religion and I don't feel that school, a place of education, is the correct institution to be forcing my child to worship any religion.

So no, you are not over reacting when you say you have a hard time with your child being instructed in a religion and being told that this is the one true religion. Education of the worlds religion is a completely different thing to indoctrination in one religion. All religions should be taught objectively and with the same weight. This is just not happening in this country.

As unpopluar as it may be this country is still a Christian country, I know there will be people not happy about that but that is fact. Christainity is one of the most tollerant faiths in the world, second only to Buddhism. There are many countries in the world where a Christain church would be unwelcome, you can not build a new church in Saudi Arabia or most of the middle east countries. But in this country you are free to worship what you believe including invented religion such as Jedi, if you wish.

May I suggest that if your school is teaching something against your belief structure you ask for your child to do something else during those time?? This is your parental right and standard practise.
    God Bless xx T

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there should be any religous schools, including catholic, church muslim etc. School are about education not worship.

In my ideal world, schools would be impartial and 'teach' all religions but only in RE. Children should be able to make up their minds what religion to follow if any.

Children of catholic and christian parents will go to church with thier parents at weekend and see the religion of thier parents as jewish parents would take them to synagogs (sp!)

On approaching adulthood then children could then choose their own religion.

wouldnt it be nice if all schools were good and children automatically went to their nearest school within walking distance regardless of religious followings.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tina O View Post
    As unpopluar as it may be this country is still a Christian country, I know there will be people not happy about that but that is fact. Christainity is one of the most tollerant faiths in the world, second only to Buddhism. There are many countries in the world where a Christain church would be unwelcome, you can not build a new church in Saudi Arabia or most of the middle east countries. But in this country you are free to worship what you believe including invented religion such as Jedi, if you wish.

May I suggest that if your school is teaching something against your belief structure you ask for your child to do something else during those time?? This is your parental right and standard practise.
    It is not against my belief. I am happy for my son to learn about the entire world in all it's glorious colours. My main gripe is I feel he is too young to understand religion... I know to you it is fact, when I say I want him to learn about "facts" I guess what I mean is tangable facts... earth is round, how weather is caused, our history, geography.

Not only that, my son like I said has some difficulties especially with writing and just think all this time spent on religious beliefs could be better spent on what he needs. I attened his assembly today which was all about Noah's Ark, with a finale of singing One Direction... Sorry but my son needs to be taught the things he needs in life... the things that will hold him back in his future... not something he may or may not believe in when he is older...

I say that last bit now... You watch him grow up and become a vicar... then I will eat my words lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast