Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Emma Reed

I married a solider, (a sniper of all things -) who would have nothing to do with religion.... 25 years later he is a Reader (a nearly vicar) in the Church of England and regularly preaching in military churches in Germany---- so you never know!!!!!

I think a lot of the problem with teaching religion in schools is that teachers aren't always sure what they should be teaching and I can understand where you can have a problem with facts etc and a child preception of the 'things' around them.. I also have a son who learns differently from 'norm' He is very literal in his mind, (he's a teenager now) if you know the show 'the big bang theory' he is a 'Sheldon Cooper'..... Everyting to him is black and white, no shades of grey xx

but different people make the world go round, xx
    God Bless xx T

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tina O View Post
    I'm so please we live in a free country where everyone is able to express their opinion openly without fear and that we have people who fight for our freedom of speech.......

BUT I do not like comments that have reduced God to the the same level as monsters, fairies and santa... Some people do believe that God is the truth, have faith, did design the world and live by his word...

Also it is normal for a school in a Christian country to have 90% of their religious education Christian based, unless the school can prove it is in an area dominated by another faith.

Would you find it offensive if I said everyone who didn't believe in God was dammed and going to hell??? probably, so it's a good job I'm not saying that isn't it...........
    Seeing as it was me who made the comment you didn't like, I will respond to your final question. No, it doesn't offend me in the slightest. You are entitled to express your views and I am entitled to express mine. The fact that our views differ is interesting, but not offensive

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Emma Reed

I married a solider, (a sniper of all things -) who would have nothing to do with religion.... 25 years later he is a Reader (a nearly vicar) in the Church of England and regularly preaching in military churches in Germany---- so you never know!!!!!

I think a lot of the problem with teaching religion in schools is that teachers aren't always sure what they should be teaching and I can understand where you can have a problem with facts etc and a child preception of the 'things' around them.. I also have a son who learns differently from 'norm' He is very literal in his mind, (he's a teenager now) if you know the show 'the big bang theory' he is a 'Sheldon Cooper'..... Everyting to him is black and white, no shades of grey xx

but different people make the world go round, xx
    Yes I know that show, I love it. Sheldon reminds us of Cameron. We can see him growing up to be like that, he is always correcting us if we say something wrong...

DH was showing Cameron coins and explain what coin was what and he got the 20p and DH said "And this funny shape one is 20p" and Cameron glared at him and said "What you mean the HEXAGON!" he was about 4 or 5 at the time... I literally feel off the sofa tears rolling down my face...

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I LOVE Big Bang Theory. I mind a child who is just like Sheldon (both his parents are scientists) and he adores the show too!

See, no matter what we believe - we still all have lots in common and its something that makes us smile

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This proves the age old saying never start a debate on religion or politics - guaranteed to start a war

Ps you are lucky its only been the last year as my children attend a faith school which is my faith and the childrens and my dd 3 who is in the school nursery had mild hysterics because a spider was in her room it turned in full blown hysteria when daddy killed one of Gods creatures

My dh who is not at all religious muttered quite alot under his breath but hey ho he married me in the church so he cant say much.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The right to be different; Thats what makes the world go round

They never change, my son was 5 when a teacher asked him a question in school to which he replied " Do you not know that!?" At his first school nativity he said he wanted to play God and when his teacher said there wasn't a God in the nativity he replied,"What do you mean God IS the nativity!"

and likewise, he is always correcting us and any other adult he thinks is wrong, it's interesting sometimes......especially in public.

Off to bed now, (it's later over here x) night night all xx
    God Bless xx T

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    DH was showing Cameron coins and explain what coin was what and he got the 20p and DH said "And this funny shape one is 20p" and Cameron glared at him and said "What you mean the HEXAGON!" he was about 4 or 5 at the time... I literally feel off the sofa tears rolling down my face...
    Bazinga!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't have a problem with any child being taught about many different religions but as long as the schools are not teaching them stuff proven wrong by science i.e. God did not create man (literally), he def. does not make babies and he could not have created the world in 7 days.

However, to believe in his acts of God, Jesus and the difference between good an evil (in any religion) is fine by me
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    My main gripe is I feel he is too young to understand religion...
    Many adults don't 'understand' religion, never mind children! My 7 year old is ever so slightly obsessed with being a saint. She also insists that prayers, which are her new thing, should be ended 'through Jesus Christ our Lord, amen' and thinks that before her sister was born she (her sister) was living with God. Despite the fact that I go to Church most weeks, and the girls go to Sunday school, I still feel a bit uncomfy with her love of all things holy. However I know it's something she's begining to get a concept of and she needs to explore various avenues and most importantly to me, know that it's okay to be interested and to ask questions. I frequently can't answer her questions and she knows that mummy and daddy both believe different things and that that's okay, and that when she is older she might believe something entirely different. Her best friend is Muslim which raises more questions and we do our best to answer them, but are honest when we can't.

Last year it was all about being vegetarian (in a BIG way). She was so focused on meat and animals being killed, that we couldn't walk past a butchers without her wailing. She is now, absolutely not a vegetarian having decided she missed meat too much!

The year before it was death. A close friend died leaving a daughter the same age as her. So her obsession then was cancer, and suicide but that is unrelated and a whole other story!

Whilst all these are difficult and can be stressful to dealt with at the time, I now feel she has a good grasp (for a 7 year old) of some really important issues.

Sorry, I've really waffled on there and completely hijacked the post, but feel quite strongly that if children are smart enough to ask the question, they're smart enough to hear the answer. Even if we don't know what the answer is.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an issue with schools teaching the religions, but I really wish that my children's (CE ) school would not teach religion as fact. I wholeheartedly beleive that schools should be secular.

I also wish that they would teach more sensitively. I didn't much enjoy trying to explain away to my sensitive five year old why Jesus' hands were nailed to the cross through his palms last Easter. I'm sure that if I suggested to the teachers that they read a similarly gruesome story book to the reception class they would be horrified.

For what it's worth, my children have all been taught in a CE school and at the age of your son were all quite beleiving. They know that I am an atheist and my husband agnostic, and they also know that we will support them completely in whatever they choose to beleive. As time has gone on and they have matured, they have developed their own ideas and we talk openly about what we beleive/don't and why.

At the moment, my eldest (12) has no religious belief. My 8 year old is unsure, but is tending towards not believing, I think. The five year old beleives in God as fact . I think that so long as you talk about what you and other beleive openly at his level of understanding, allowing your son to realise that what he is taught isn't necessarily the only way of thinking, he will form his own opinions.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fluff1975 View Post
    The year before it was death. A close friend died leaving a daughter the same age as her. So her obsession then was cancer, and suicide but that is unrelated and a whole other story!
    My eldest was obsessed with death when she was five. We would talk about it, she would obviously think about it for a week or two, then come back and talk again with more questions about different aspects, round and round in circles. We talked about death, religious belief, heaven and hell from the viewpoint of various religions, funerals, burial and cremation, organ donation, the concept of 'soul', animals dying, wills, life expectancy, healthy living... etc etc.

Thank goodness we didn't do vegetarianism

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As unpopluar as it may be this country is still a Christian country, I know there will be people not happy about that but that is fact. Christainity is one of the most tollerant faiths in the world, second only to Buddhism. There are many countries in the world where a Christain church would be unwelcome, you can not build a new church in Saudi Arabia or most of the middle east countries. But in this country you are free to worship what you believe including invented religion such as Jedi, if you wish.

May I suggest that if your school is teaching something against your belief structure you ask for your child to do something else during those time?? This is your parental right and standard practise.
    Yes, I am aware that some people still believe this is a christian country. My point however in my last sentence was that school is a place of education and it should not be being made into a place of worship. To teach about christianity and all other religions is what should be happening in school. To be forcing everyone to worship in one religion is not what should be happening in school. School is for education not worship. Whether people living in Saudi Arabia can build a church building is irrelevant to schools in the UK being here for the purpose of education not religious indoctrination.
    It is time for the education system in this country to begin educating about the dogma and history of all religions with the same level of bias for each one, and leave worship for places of worship.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Schools in this Country were originally set up by the Christian church to educate poor people,mainly boys to start with then gradually for girls.
    Our school is a C of E school and I knew that when I sent him even though I do not believe myself, I do believe however that religion causes war (all religions)because humans all believe that what they think is true but to be frank nobody knows for certain and wont do until we die.
    I believe it is up to my son to choose for himself.I didn't always think like this I was baptised at 16(Baptist Church) but grew to realise that most church's have a case of do what I say not as I do policy (long story).
    Alyson x

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I don't think there should be any religous schools, including catholic, church muslim etc. School are about education not worship.

In my ideal world, schools would be impartial and 'teach' all religions but only in RE. Children should be able to make up their minds what religion to follow if any.

Children of catholic and christian parents will go to church with thier parents at weekend and see the religion of thier parents as jewish parents would take them to synagogs (sp!)

On approaching adulthood then children could then choose their own religion.

wouldnt it be nice if all schools were good and children automatically went to their nearest school within walking distance regardless of religious followings.

Brilliant I totally agree, religon is a personal choice and has nothing to do with education. I have become so fed up with various school christian activities I have not given permission for my child to attend the next one. I don't agree with scaring and brain washing children. At the harvest assembly last year which we attended the vicar boomed out "God is watching you, he knows every hair on your head" some of the kids were terrified. They might of got away with that years ago but i should say people are far more sensible and know the difference between fact and fiction. Have you heard of evolution.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonyach View Post
    the difference between fact and fiction. Have you heard of evolution.

I think that comment is very rude.

To call Christianity ( or any other religion ) fiction is very disrespectful.

oct2004
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there is so much evidence in the bible to prove its true than not to prove it.

Maybe some parents should send children to schools that are not c of e.

We have a lovely school that is c of e and not all the parent are regular church goers but there is time

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymood View Post
    Well there is so much evidence in the bible to prove its true than not to prove it.

Maybe some parents should send children to schools that are not c of e.

We have a lovely school that is c of e and not all the parent are regular church goers but there is time
    A lot of people start to come to our Church to get their children in the C of E school and end up staying 'cos they like it

jumpinjen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
    I don't have an issue with schools teaching the religions, but I really wish that my children's (CE ) school twould not teach religion as fac. I wholeheartedly beleive that schools should be secular.

I also wish that they would teach more sensitively. I didn't much enjoy trying to explain away to my sensitive five year old why Jesus' hands were nailed to the cross through his palms last Easter. I'm sure that if I suggested to the teachers that they read a similarly gruesome story book to the reception class they would be horrified.

For what it's worth, my children have all been taught in a CE school and at the age of your son were all quite beleiving. They know that I am an atheist and my husband agnostic, and they also know that we will support them completely in whatever they choose to beleive. As time has gone on and they have matured, they have developed their own ideas and we talk openly about what we beleive/don't and why.

At the moment, my eldest (12) has no religious belief. My 8 year old is unsure, but is tending towards not believing, I think. The five year old beleives in God as fact . I think that so long as you talk about what you and other beleive openly at his level of understanding, allowing your son to realise that what he is taught isn't necessarily the only way of thinking, he will form his own opinions.
    I think that schools teach their own version of religion as they teach their own version of everything else, no two schools teach things the same was as no two people believe exactly the same thing. I am Christian and god is a big part of my life, but I don't believe that 'He makes babies' - having had three I know exactly who makes those but i do believe that God watches over us.

My Mum is Christian but doesn't believe that praying is useful - I wholeheartedly believe in the power of prayer however so your son will probably grow up to have his own personal understanding.

I know other Christians who don't believe in evolution and are 'creationists' - they really believe that God made the world in a week and teach their children that - I am a scientist at heart and cannot believe that -

all Christians see God in their own personal way and I really don't agree with schools teaching it by rote - it's too personal to be taught that way - I don't agree in any religious schools and think they should all be secular (said by a true home educator LOL).

Jen x

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Emma,
    Having read through this thread, alot of things have been expressed and it shows the diversity of peoples views.
    I would say that your son, at his young age , is taking things that he is told(taught) as factual, and that is what young children do untill they are old enough to have experienced a wide range of teachings and are able to question and evaluate their own thoughts and indeed, beliefs.
    I was brought up at the time when school only focussed around Christian beliefs, as C of E schools do now, but tollerance and values of all religions and beliefs are, and should be ,included in our education system.
    As a childminder I have learnt more about the different Religions and beliefs of the world than I ever did at school.
    If you are concerned about your sons thought processes regarding what is being taught in class, talk to the teacher again, talk to other parents and continue to discuss with your son the statements he makes just as we do every day with the children in our care and their parents.
    Childrens enquiring minds lead to " educated" adults.
    Carol xx

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I've just read through this thread with interest. I was baptised and went to a C of E primary school. We didn't go to church and and as I got older I guess I lost the belief. My husband is an aetheist and my DS who is 8 doesn't show an interest in religion. My step-son however, is educated in a Catholic school. His mum's family are church goers and he is taken to church a lot. He is very "into" God, almost to the point of being brainwashed. He tells us that only Catholics believe in God, God made this, that and the other. The way he speaks about his faith is that it's the only faith, and if you don't believe then you are a lesser human being. This I have a huge problem with, it takes me all my time to bite my tongue when I hear this kind of nonsense coming from an impressionable 8 year old! I just don't think children should be taught in this way. It's how conflict starts in my opinion. I'm ranting .........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12