THE WORST JOB EVER ...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default THE WORST JOB EVER ...

Have you ever had a really really horrible job?

Do you know anyone who has?

I was reading about the olden days and some of the worst jobs were a bit wacky ....

Imagine these ...

A tosher was someone who scavenges in the sewers, especially in London during the Victorian period. The toshers decided to cut out the middle man and it was a common sight in 19th Century Wapping for whole families to whip off a manhole cover and go down into the sewers, where they would find rich pickings. As most toshers would reek of the sewers, they were not popular with the neighbors. Similarly, the mudlarks were people who would dredge the banks of the Thames in the early morning when the tide was out. They would have to wade through unprocessed sewerage and even sometimes dead bodies in order to find little treasures to sell. In a kind of weird twist, this is now the popular hobby of some middle class Londoners who travel the banks to clean up trash.

A Knocker-up was a profession in England and Ireland that started during and lasted well into the Industrial Revolution, before alarm clocks were affordable or reliable. A knocker-up’s job was to rouse sleeping people so they could get to work on time. The knocker-up often used a long and light stick (often bamboo) to reach windows on higher floors. In return, the knocker-up would be paid a few pence a week for this job. The knocker-up would not leave a client’s window until they were assured the client had been awoken. This all leads to the obvious question: who knocks up the knocker-up?

In Britain, the crime of snatching a body was only a misdemeanor and so was punishable by a small fine only. This led to a huge industry in body snatching in order to provide corpses to the blossoming medical schools of Europe. One method the body-snatchers used was to dig at the head end of a recent burial, digging with a wooden spade (quieter than metal). When they reached the coffin (in London the graves were quite shallow), they broke open the coffin, put a rope around the corpse and dragged it out. They were often careful not to steal anything such as jewelry or clothes as this would cause them to be liable to a felony charge. During 1827 and 1828, some Edinburgh resurrectionists including Burke and Hare changed their tactics from grave-robbing to murder, as they were paid more for very fresh corpses. Their activities, and those of the London Burkers who imitated them, resulted in the passage of the Anatomy Act 1832. This allowed unclaimed bodies and those donated by relatives to be used for the study of anatomy. This effectively ended the body snatching business.

The Groom of the Stool was a male servant in the household of an English monarch who, among other duties, “preside[d] over the office of royal excretion,” that is, he had the task of cleaning the monarch’s anus after defecation. In the early years of Henry VIII’s reign, the title was awarded to minions of the King, court companions who spent time with him in the Privy chamber. These were the sons of noblemen or important members of the gentry. In time they came to act as virtual personal secretaries to the King, carrying out a variety of administrative tasks within his private rooms. The position was an especially prized one, as it allowed one unobstructed access to the King’s attention. Despite being the official bum-wiper of the king, the Groom of the Stool had a very high social standing.

Weird or what

So what about you?

You ever had a job that you hated or you got treated like a slave maybe?
    Long hours for little pay ....

Hey and you can not say childminding ha ha

Angel xxx

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember, as a teenager, my mum set me up a little summer job to go and help an old lady once a week with her cleaning and gardening. At the end of the first visit she handed me a huge pile of knee length knickers to take home and sew new elastic in!

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can't say I've done anything as exciting as those above

I once packed pepperoni in a meat processing plant never again!
    Had a huge 'skip on wheels' filled with the stuff, it stunk to high heaven, and had to weigh 4oz in my hand, put it in the plastic container before it reached the scales, then adjust to the correct weight if necessary - after about 15 mins it never was adjusted, I could weigh 4oz quite reliably for a long time

It was in December, and we used to go outside to warm up!

It was there that I discovered that all the supermarkets own brand meats, were the same! Only the labelling changed. Apart from the M&S stuff - they had their own better quality meats and so they were always done first as the whole machine had to be changed once their order was done which could take a good half hour (our first break)

I must admit, I didn't eat anything that had pepperoni on it for a good number of years afterwards, it physically turned my stomach if I smelt it.
    Give me a honky nappy any day

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

My first job was as a kennel maid at a small local kennel which in later years turned out to be a puppy farm and was on the local news..but that was over 10yrs later.
    They paid me £1 an hour this was in 1987 and I did two mornings each weekend.
    I had 20 kennels to clean out and one breeding kennel for Alsatians.
    It was a very dirty job and I used to lose 3lbs in weight each weekend as it was very physical. Did not help that their 'dump' was 400yds into the forest and the wheelbarrow was very heavy.
    Got me fit I suppose.
    But I left as they mistreated the dogs they bred. Half of the farmhouse was FULL of puppies as one day I had to clean them out. Those poor mites were desperate for company and many had the mange. The Alsatians used to freak me out as they would howl like wolves as soon as I arrived in the mornings and going into their 'den' was quite scary. Having two or more big Alsatians trying to push you down onto the floor is not nice, so I took to carrying a broom in to keep them off.
    But the worse thing was an ill Alsatian puppy was left in one of the kennels in winter with no blankets or heating and when I told the owner she said she wanted it to die.
    I told them to stuff their job and soon afterwards reported it to the RSPCA, of course they denied everything, but they must have kept doing it as they were on the TV a few years later.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

LOOPYLISA Guest

I have had a few

I worked in a chicken factory say no more blerugh!

Me and my mum worked in a hotel as chambermaids, we had to do 15 rooms each between 9-2 something like that god it nearly killed us

And the dreaded nursery, working 10-3 with no break not even 5 mins for cuppa t or biscuit even got told off for taking a bottle of lemonade in the room i soon left, you wanna see their ofstead report

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Childminder

Some days I do feel like that

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Have you ever had a really really horrible job?

Do you know anyone who has?

I was reading about the olden days and some of the worst jobs were a bit wacky ....

Imagine these ...

A tosher was someone who scavenges in the sewers, especially in London during the Victorian period. The toshers decided to cut out the middle man and it was a common sight in 19th Century Wapping for whole families to whip off a manhole cover and go down into the sewers, where they would find rich pickings. As most toshers would reek of the sewers, they were not popular with the neighbors. Similarly, the mudlarks were people who would dredge the banks of the Thames in the early morning when the tide was out. They would have to wade through unprocessed sewerage and even sometimes dead bodies in order to find little treasures to sell. In a kind of weird twist, this is now the popular hobby of some middle class Londoners who travel the banks to clean up trash.

A Knocker-up was a profession in England and Ireland that started during and lasted well into the Industrial Revolution, before alarm clocks were affordable or reliable. A knocker-up’s job was to rouse sleeping people so they could get to work on time. The knocker-up often used a long and light stick (often bamboo) to reach windows on higher floors. In return, the knocker-up would be paid a few pence a week for this job. The knocker-up would not leave a client’s window until they were assured the client had been awoken. This all leads to the obvious question: who knocks up the knocker-up?

In Britain, the crime of snatching a body was only a misdemeanor and so was punishable by a small fine only. This led to a huge industry in body snatching in order to provide corpses to the blossoming medical schools of Europe. One method the body-snatchers used was to dig at the head end of a recent burial, digging with a wooden spade (quieter than metal). When they reached the coffin (in London the graves were quite shallow), they broke open the coffin, put a rope around the corpse and dragged it out. They were often careful not to steal anything such as jewelry or clothes as this would cause them to be liable to a felony charge. During 1827 and 1828, some Edinburgh resurrectionists including Burke and Hare changed their tactics from grave-robbing to murder, as they were paid more for very fresh corpses. Their activities, and those of the London Burkers who imitated them, resulted in the passage of the Anatomy Act 1832. This allowed unclaimed bodies and those donated by relatives to be used for the study of anatomy. This effectively ended the body snatching business.

The Groom of the Stool was a male servant in the household of an English monarch who, among other duties, “preside[d] over the office of royal excretion,” that is, he had the task of cleaning the monarch’s anus after defecation. In the early years of Henry VIII’s reign, the title was awarded to minions of the King, court companions who spent time with him in the Privy chamber. These were the sons of noblemen or important members of the gentry. In time they came to act as virtual personal secretaries to the King, carrying out a variety of administrative tasks within his private rooms. The position was an especially prized one, as it allowed one unobstructed access to the King’s attention. Despite being the official bum-wiper of the king, the Groom of the Stool had a very high social standing.

Weird or what

So what about you?

You ever had a job that you hated or you got treated like a slave maybe?
    Long hours for little pay ....

Hey and you can not say childminding ha ha

Angel xxx
    have you been watching horrible histories ??
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I once worked in a cattery & would come out stinking of cat wee! On my walk home I had to avoid anyone I knew as I was too embarrassed to stand & talk to them!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought you were moving house Angel? You seem to have a lot of time on your hands today!

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I thought you were moving house Angel? You seem to have a lot of time on your hands today!

Yeh get packing

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post

Yeh get packing
    Perhaps that's the worst job ever

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh a temping job at a company who sold mobile phone top up cards to small independent newsagents. They had taken thousands of orders - and the money - but had no cards to send. They got a bunch of temps to answer their phones and get shouted at all day - oh, and take even more orders and money from unsuspecting businesses.

I also stuck out 3 days in a nursing home when I left college - made me realise no member of my family will ever go to one of these places whilst I have a say in it.... old ladies had nappies falling down round their ankles as the shuffled around and everyone pretended not to notice. One woman sat in the corner and clawed her face up all day. I was left alone on my first day with an old man in the bath and told to help him wash and get him out of the bath. It was so awful.

Hey childminding is a breeze compared to those two

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Yes it probably is

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

when i was a student i worked in a supermarket making sandwiches and salads the room was a giant fridge and sooo cold and i also had to start work at 5 am on a sunday morning. not good with a hangover, i didnt last very long at all lol.

x

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=***suz***;1094618]when i was a student i worked in a supermarket making sandwiches and salads the room was a giant fridge and sooo cold and i also had to start work at 5 am on a sunday morning. not good with a hangover, i didnt last very long at all lol.

x[/QUOT

I used to be an ice cream baller and worked in a walk in freezer balling I've cream for hours on end. Although cold (uniform was a really thick wooly coat over chef whites, hat and I always wore uggs although not strictly aloud) I did love it as I love ice cream and could eat it to my hearts content. Now I have a fantastic resilience to the cold and often have a tan all year round now.

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

My jobs have been normal compared to sum of them

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have cleaned Wembley Stadium after an England match years ago that was disgusting.

I have also worked at Whitbread Beer Company which was good, we used to get cheap beer that fell off the back of the lorry.

I now work at a drug and alcohol service as reception/admin and have done for 12 years which is hard work, very emotional, sometimes you have a great time, hear great success stories then the next minute you can have someone threatening you because they haven't got there Methadone or someone has died. It has its ups then downs but its very up or very down and new staff dont seem to care as much as us old school. Its too much about statistics and not much about the person these days. So making a fresh start in childminding and see how that goes, really excited nearly there for pre-reg visit.

Sorry to go on xx