Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

As the daughter of divorced parents, I can tell you, you have to do whatever it takes to get through this for your dd.
    My parents remained civil and even pleasant at times (once divorce was agreed) in my presence and I am so thankful now as an adult.
    You have no choice but to prepare yourself thoroughly, rise above anything that is thrown at you and support your dd.
    Actually you have to remain virtually silent through the ceremony anyway, so you only have to get there, get seated, have photos and leave. it's a very long day though and it will be so hard.
    Try to travel separately, then maybe suggest separate after ceremony celebrations too, and definately give any gifts seperately (always a point of argument). I would get all this agreed before hand so everyone knows what to expect on the day, dad is probably dreading it too. Dad could take her for a meal after and you could do something nice in the evening?
    You will get through it, you will always remember it as an ordeal, but hopefully your dd will just remember feeling the love of both her parents.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    How you cope is to buy yourself a fabulous posh dress, have a professional manicure, your hair done and a fab new skincare regime. Go out feeling like a million dollars, be civil or even nice to the ex (it will make you look good to dd and will throw him as he'll be expecting you to be horrid).
    I was going to say exactly the same thing.

Take the high ground.

Look fabulous.

Be all peaceful and serene and smile as if you have a fabulous secret ( or have just had great sex that morning )

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My husbands parents are divorced and both attend his graduation. Unforntunatley his Mum refused to talk to his Dad and made it very awkward for him as he didn't know who to talk to without causing upset. He had 3 tickets so I was there as well (Was very uncomfortable to sit through with them both!!) We ended up just talk to his friends and their parents. His Mum refused to talk to his Dad and was miserable all day. She went home without a word to anyone at some point and made a big deal about something afterwards (I think she was having a go at my hubby for talking to his Dad too much or his Dad trying to talk to him all the time and she didn't like it). He was only 20 and had spent 3 hard years working for this and it was runined for him by them. Things were not right between him and his Mum again after that. He lost all respect for her.
    Anyway what I am trying to say is be careful if can't find a way to be nice to your ex and it causes a problem it will effect your dd deeply and the last thing you want is let him effect your relationship with her.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You will cope because you are a woman and a mum.

And in the grand scheme of things there are many worse situations you could have had to go through.

So grit your teeth, don your glad rags and lippy and put on a brave face. You are there for your daughter.

Woman power will overcome all
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Its something you will have to do if you want your dd to be happy.

My parents divorced 5yrs before I got married and I invited both of them to my wedding. My Mum had a new partner and didnt want to attend on her own as they were living together and my Dad had a lady friend who he saw a lot of.
    But he wouldnt come if my Mum and new partner were there so he wasnt at my wedding.
    I was upset at the time but it was his loss at the end of the day. I know it was painful for him but he could have put it behind him for 1 day. but he didnt.

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt want to be in your shoes with this one, BUT you have to do this for your daughter....

Put it the other way around. If your daughter was with her Dad, and didnt invite you along because he didn't want to spend the day with you that would be horrid. Its her special day and she will want you both there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12