Will childmind on casual basis work?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Will childmind on casual basis work?

Hi all

Here is my idea: I want to set up a childminding business but I would like to work on casual basis...The parents would have to book with me few days in advance so I would plan activities and meals or even outings and I reckon I would be busier over the weekend and even offer overnigh care. Or I could do some babysitting as well.

Would this be possible or you know anyone who have experience doing this?
    How would I calculate rates, tax, how would the insurance work?
    Sorry if the question sounds silly but I am going to the briefing session in June so I dont know much.

Any comment welcome
    Thank you

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Will childmind on casual basis work?

its not something i've considered due to parents usually needing regular hours or work shifts but still require the fulltime places.

Advertise the hours you wish to offer, I am sure there will be a lot out there wanting overnight care especially those who do not have family close by but have a night out planned and require someone trustworthy to leave their children with.

Good Luck to you
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Registered Childminder since
    June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You could do both ... have regulars and also offer adhoc care. Providing just adhoc might be tricky on the financial side becuase you would not get any commitment from the parents so you'd never know what your income would be. I guess it all depends on your area and the need for childminders. As to rates ... see what others charge in your area and match it. Don't go low because parents will wonder about the quality of care you provide.
    The regular insurance that childminders have will cover you for everything.
    Good luck

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking of just doing chilminding in the school holidays as I already have a job in a school and just need a bit of extra cash. I asked the lady who is taking our ICP course and she said casual childminders, especially in the school holidays, can be quite popular. I don't have any friends that do it but I know my mother-in-law does get parents phoning her to see if she has any space for the following week just for a week or a couple of days.

Hope that helps

Nicki

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

hi
    im also hoping to childmind during school holidays only at first as i currently work in education nurseries and we often have parents asking for info on possible holiday care we do also at times have parents needing short term/temp care so it may well work.
    One of my children who i work with in nursery have a childminder and when shes ill or on holiday she gives parents details of other childminders who could help out with childcare so it may be worth talking to childminders in your area to see if this is something you could do
    hope that helps

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you girls

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=nicki2002;708100]I am thinking of just doing chilminding in the school holidays as I already have a job in a school and just need a bit of extra cash. I asked the lady who is taking our ICP course and she said casual childminders, especially in the school holidays, can be quite popular. I don't have any friends that do it but I know my mother-in-law does get parents phoning her to see if she has any space for the following week just for a week or a couple of days.

Hope that helps

Nicki

Hi Nicki,

I know your post was a while ago but I am just starting the exact same business. Did you start it up? And what sort of insurance did you have?
    Thank you.

Chloe Hudson