Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Risk assessments

Hi again,

Sorry again for probably a very daft question but I'm just on with my policies, procedures and risk assessments and I was wondering do I do risk assessments for each room on separate sheets and do I need to print them off or just leave them saved on my laptop (and back up)?

Also what other risk assessments do I need? Such as outings etc?

Thanks in advance

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our RAs do not need to be in writing at all. If you are happy to do it in your head, and are able to explain the risks and how you reduce them to an inspector, then you do not need anything on paper.
    If you do want to write them down you can do so any way you like- use a template or just your own list room by room. Don't forget to RA car use (car seats, loading children in/out, where you'll park, emergency situation), walking out and about (buggy/reins/road safety), garden, places you go to (parks, soft play, countryside, toddler groups, library etc), school run etc etc.
    Of course a lot will be done 'on the spot'- you RA and make decisions all the time, so do not go over board with writing it all down- just write what is useful for you. No one else will be reading it (you can show an inspector if you want, but written RA is not a requirement so will not be asked for).

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Our RAs do not need to be in writing at all. If you are happy to do it in your head, and are able to explain the risks and how you reduce them to an inspector, then you do not need anything on paper.
    If you do want to write them down you can do so any way you like- use a template or just your own list room by room. Don't forget to RA car use (car seats, loading children in/out, where you'll park, emergency situation), walking out and about (buggy/reins/road safety), garden, places you go to (parks, soft play, countryside, toddler groups, library etc), school run etc etc.
    Of course a lot will be done 'on the spot'- you RA and make decisions all the time, so do not go over board with writing it all down- just write what is useful for you. No one else will be reading it (you can show an inspector if you want, but written RA is not a requirement so will not be asked for).
    Thank you so much Moggy! I really appreciate you replying. What I find to understand is that right now I haven't got a child who requires reins etc so I don't understand why I would need to RA for that until the time came if you see what I mean? I think I will do them for the house and garden and see how I get on!

Thanks again x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kirstylou View Post
    Thank you so much Moggy! I really appreciate you replying. What I find to understand is that right now I haven't got a child who requires reins etc so I don't understand why I would need to RA for that until the time came if you see what I mean? I think I will do them for the house and garden and see how I get on!

Thanks again x
    Every new child you take on will mean you need to review your RAs. You might want to 'pre-think' through some likely scenarios, like walking with a toddler who likes to run about when in a busy place, before you take on a child so that you are 'ready to go' and not starting from scratch thinking of what you need to buy/find when a new child starts. You do it the way that makes sense for you.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Every new child you take on will mean you need to review your RAs. You might want to 'pre-think' through some likely scenarios, like walking with a toddler who likes to run about when in a busy place, before you take on a child so that you are 'ready to go' and not starting from scratch thinking of what you need to buy/find when a new child starts. You do it the way that makes sense for you.
    I understand what's required now, thank you. The thing that drives me crazy is where do you stop? You could literally RA until the cows come home!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kirstylou View Post
    I understand what's required now, thank you. The thing that drives me crazy is where do you stop? You could literally RA until the cows come home!
    Yes, and you do: you see a pair of scissors on the table, you are mentally risk assessing, you decide there is a rick to the toddler in the room, you decide you can reduce the risk, you put the scissors away. We do it all the time for these small decisions. The big stuff sometimes needs more thinking- like how are you going to load 2 toddlers and a baby into your car parked on the busy street outside your house? Is that concrete step in the garden okay with a learning-to-walk 14 month old? Where to store medicines? And it is unique to you, your children and your house/surroundings.

7. Likes bunyip liked this post