starting up questions
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Default starting up questions

I am currently a nanny, having taught nursery and reception classes for about 10 years. I have contacted my LA and am booke donto both the pre reg briefing session and the childminder course. I am hoping that the briefing session will answer my initial questions/concerns as I dont want to pay the money for the full course if I am going to be unable to continue. I am sure some of my questions will seem strange, but hopefully someone will be kind enough to help!
    1) how exactly do I work out my floor space? I live in a small house and realise that hallways and kitchens cannot be included. I want to work this out in order to calculate whether childminding will be financially viable for me given that it is only a small house (I also understand that I may not be at full numbers 100% of the time)
    2) what is the expectation regarding nappy changing etc? can this be done in same room as other mindees or does it need to be in a seperate room/bathroom (I do have a downstairs toilet but would mean leaving other chn alone)
    3) Are there rules/expectations about pets? I have a cat, who is mostly out and eats in the kitchen but away from table/food prep areas, and a dog who is currently walked for 2hrs a day and then mostly sleeps afterwards! I would continue this arrangement,and i also clean/hoover everyday, are pets likely to be an issue?
    4) do you need to register a seperate bedroom for sleeps? if you had 2 chn for example could you use travel cot(s) downstairs?
    5) is there an expectation that you will stay in? what sort of timetables do CMs have? I would like to be out in the morning (childrens centre, library, beach park etc), then home for lunch/sleep/quiet time then perhaps out for an hour before school run? does this seem ok?
    6) Is it impossible to stop your house becoming a nursery? obviously I want to do a good job, and be the best CM I can, but really do not want to turn my home into a nursery!!

I really hope someone can help!! thank you C x

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1 - Space Requirements

2 - you need to consider privacy - and safety.

3 - risk assessment, parent permission, keeping children's spaces clean and safe

4 - your fire escape risk assessment will tell you if upstairs is safe ... children must be in sight / hearing at all times

5 - we go out and stay in every day!

6 - it's up to you how much stuff you have... look on pinterest at childminder settings.

I hope that helps