Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Newbie

Registered Childminder since
    Pre reg
    Non childminder member
    Pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, I'm currently on cm course through my local council. I'm hoping to be ready by Sept/
    Oct.. Can anyone advise me where to start In regards to making my home safe what equipment I need ect. I'm really looking forward to my new venture any advice would be great.. Thanks x

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome :-). This forum is very helpful and addictive! It's a difficult one really as until you start minding you don't know which age groups you will have. It's all about risk assessment. There's lots of safety equipment you can buy but you may find you didn't need it all. You will definitely need a first aid kit, fire blanket, fire alarms. I also have a stair gate and cupboard locks (but I look after toddlers so they are necessary). If you are thinking about toys and other equipment, again it's tempting to go out and spend a lot but until you know you age groups it's tricky, when Ofsted did my pre reg they did want to know if I had toys for every age group though so think carefully. Paper, crayons, colouring books are all essential in my setting and suit lots of ages, paint and craft, role play toys (dolls, trolleys, pots and pans), lego, cars and of course books. Look around at car boots over the summer and charity shops where you can get some good bargains. Good luck on your adventure :-)