Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bank Holidays

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank Holidays

Hello, out of interest, do you charge for bank holidays?
    For those that do why not?
    I'm unsure, and just curious what others do.
    Thanks

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am closed Bank Hols + Xmas Eve and do not charge for them.
    But I do charge 50% for my 5wks hols per year and 100% for parents hols.

I think most people make their Bank Hol decision as part of their whole fees and holidays policy so it is hard to see it in isolation. (ie some might charge but be closed for Bank Hols... BUT they charge less for some other aspect of their fee structure, so they feel they are offering a good deal over all).

No right or wrong. Just many different ways to structure our fees.

Post Thanks / Like

I am closed all Bank Hols so don't charge, I always charge full fees if I'm open, no fees when I'm closed.

4. Likes AliceK liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I close for 26 days a years that includes all bank holidays. My fees are low £25 per day and I explain to parents I charge 52 weeks of the year and this allows me to keep daily fee down. Therefore if I'm not open on the bank holiday I still charge full fee. If a parent was not happy with this they just don't place the child with me
    Tess1981

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    I close for 26 days a years that includes all bank holidays. My fees are low £25 per day and I explain to parents I charge 52 weeks of the year and this allows me to keep daily fee down. Therefore if I'm not open on the bank holiday I still charge full fee. If a parent was not happy with this they just don't place the child with me
    I do the opposite. I close for 4 weeks a year plus all bank holidays and don't invoice parents for those times. But I charge a higher rate for the weeks I am open and invoicing them.
    Parents are generally happy because I don't charge them when I am closed so it seems like they're not paying for a service that isn't available.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    I am closed all Bank Hols so don't charge, I always charge full fees if I'm open, no fees when I'm closed.
    I do the same. It keeps things easy to understand. If I am open I charge, if I am closed I don't.
    I know lots of people will say "well the parents get paid for the bank hols" but that's not always true. When my DS was with a childminder my job was a self-employed one so I didn't get paid for the BH. If I had had to pay my childminder for those days when she was closed and I didn't need her it would have severly effected me financially.

xxxx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not open bank holidays so no charge

There are many different opinions on charging for bhs but you have to find out what suits you and your parents the best
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes shortstuff liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

When I worked in retail, I had to work bank holidays.

I was contracted to pay my childminder for bank holidays, but she did not work them

I had to pay my childminder, plus find a family member to look after my daughter. My husband was also in retail, so he was working too.

Had I not had any family close by, I would have had real difficulties.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    This is how I work, I find parents understand this easier too haha

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I am closed all Bank holidays so do not charge for them as I do not want to work them. Its time for my family.x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am prepared to work on bank Holidays but I require 4 weeks written notice that I am needed and payment in advance.

If I work I charge double fee, triple fee for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

If they don't need me to work and it is a normal Contracted Day they pay their normal fee.

All clearly written on Contract and explained when the sign.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Bank holidays don't mean a great deal to me. Tbh there's sweet FA to do if you live in the less civilised parts of the UK, like here. The only one I'm at all fussed about (due to a rather odd ritual of mine and my grandson) in Christmas Eve. For all I care, they could cancel everything else, Easter Day and Christmas Day included.)

If parents don't want to send the child, I don't charge. I either get the day off or a quiet day with fewer lo's. Woop-di-doo, we can all watch the tumbleweed blow down the high street.

If parents do want to send the child, then I charge normal rate. Generally, if they're working bank holidays, they're in a low-paid job or essential service (usually both) so they don't need me scr3wing them for a few extra sovs when they'd probably rather be at home with the child if they had the choice. Let's be honest, if I needed an ambulance on a bank holiday, I'd be grateful to find the NHS working without slapping me with a surcharge.

I ask parents if they need me for bank holidays, and agree everything a few weeks in advance. I don't mind if I'm needed or not, but I do insist on knowing in advance and avoid late changes unless it's a genuine emergency. (And it's amazing how many parents have to learn the hard way that there really is a big difference between "genuine emergency" and "couldn't be 4r5ed to tell their CM". )