Pre-reg tomorrow!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre-reg tomorrow!!!

It has been a loooooooooooong journey for me (Nearly two years since I first looked into it) and on Tuesday I had the call! Eleven weeks after applying. She sounded absolutely lovely and reassuring but I am still terrified, even though ive been working towards this for so long I still had a massive list of things to do and still have some things left to do!! My little girl was ill all yesterday and gave her bugs to me so I've been poorly all day too aaaargh... Fingers crossed it all works out!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TabbyTuTu View Post
    It has been a loooooooooooong journey for me (Nearly two years since I first looked into it) and on Tuesday I had the call! Eleven weeks after applying. She sounded absolutely lovely and reassuring but I am still terrified, even though ive been working towards this for so long I still had a massive list of things to do and still have some things left to do!! My little girl was ill all yesterday and gave her bugs to me so I've been poorly all day too aaaargh... Fingers crossed it all works out!!!
    Aw good luck, let us know how it goes :-)

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck hope it goes well

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. They don't expect everything to be done, as long as you can explain that you will be doing it. You'll be great.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it over Tabby, how did you get on? what did they ask and how long were they there for?

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    prospective childmin
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope it all went well!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey! Sorry, my pre-reg was the last day before Easter hols and my kids have kept me too busy to get on computer :-)

She was here two and a half hours, to begin with it felt like I was going to fail. She kept pointing out things I needed to do/change to the flat to make it safer, she was concerned by the fact a child could climb on the stool in kitchen, crawl along shelf and throw themselves out the window (I live on a first floor flat but there is a flat roof directly below my kitchen) I pointed out the door is always locked unless I am in there within them so the chance was very small. She was concerned about the other windows too, when I said they were locked, she asked what I would do in the summer to let in air. I had a list of things I was aware of that needed doing to my property and she gave me another list to add to it! It was scary. She was lovely, but I wasn't optimistic..

Coming into living room she noticed I didn't have the upto date EYFs!! I felt so stupid as I had meant to print it off..

But then she looked at my policies etc and was impressed! Especially by my dental hygiene policy, use of photographic equipment and the fact I plan on providing homecooked meals. This helped me relax and act more myself, cue me waffling on about my opinions on nutrition! This all took 45 mins, she then saw my certificates for courses with my council was enthusiastic about the fact I had done levels 2&3 in safeguarding and sat down inputting info on her laptop for the other hour and 45 mins. She didn't ask many questions, symptoms of abuse, if i would have an assistant, how i would prevent kids coming into contact with cigerette smoke. I do talk a lot though so think I gave her enough without questioning. She read the preparing for your registration booklet too. We ended up having a really nice chat even after she put her laptop away.

My certificate arrived eleven days later!!! :-D

All I can say is, no matter how prepared you think you are you're probably not! But they are happy for you to be aware of changes that need to be implemented (The day after her visit we went and bought new locks and things for windows so they can only be opened so far, no kids throwing themselves out my kitchen window!!), know your policies inside out so you can answer confidently, know the EYFs and Safeguarding xx

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done, TabbyTuTu! you must be so relieved that you can finally start. I think one of the great things about the pre-reg is another pair of (experienced) eyes to help you think about the risks. Particularly in our own homes, we sometimes just don't see things.

Do you have LOs lined up and ready to go or are you advertising?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TabbyTuTu View Post
    Hey! Sorry, my pre-reg was the last day before Easter hols and my kids have kept me too busy to get on computer :-) She was here two and a half hours, to begin with it felt like I was going to fail. She kept pointing out things I needed to do/change to the flat to make it safer, she was concerned by the fact a child could climb on the stool in kitchen, crawl along shelf and throw themselves out the window (I live on a first floor flat but there is a flat roof directly below my kitchen) I pointed out the door is always locked unless I am in there within them so the chance was very small. She was concerned about the other windows too, when I said they were locked, she asked what I would do in the summer to let in air. I had a list of things I was aware of that needed doing to my property and she gave me another list to add to it! It was scary. She was lovely, but I wasn't optimistic.. Coming into living room she noticed I didn't have the upto date EYFs!! I felt so stupid as I had meant to print it off.. But then she looked at my policies etc and was impressed! Especially by my dental hygiene policy, use of photographic equipment and the fact I plan on providing homecooked meals. This helped me relax and act more myself, cue me waffling on about my opinions on nutrition! This all took 45 mins, she then saw my certificates for courses with my council was enthusiastic about the fact I had done levels 2&3 in safeguarding and sat down inputting info on her laptop for the other hour and 45 mins. She didn't ask many questions, symptoms of abuse, if i would have an assistant, how i would prevent kids coming into contact with cigerette smoke. I do talk a lot though so think I gave her enough without questioning. She read the preparing for your registration booklet too. We ended up having a really nice chat even after she put her laptop away. My certificate arrived eleven days later!!! :-D All I can say is, no matter how prepared you think you are you're probably not! But they are happy for you to be aware of changes that need to be implemented (The day after her visit we went and bought new locks and things for windows so they can only be opened so far, no kids throwing themselves out my kitchen window!!), know your policies inside out so you can answer confidently, know the EYFs and Safeguarding xx
    Well done tabby :-) I had spent ages covering every thing I could think of and the two things she mentioned were that I didn't have furniture corner guards (I'd asked around and most people said they were useless!) and that I didn't have socket covers (again Id done lots of research and found that British plugs are safe etc as they are). She didn't even go in my garden which is spent lots of time on (new lock on shed, water butt cover etc etc). She asked me for loads of information and forms to view which luckily i'd prepared but had been advised I wouldn't need them for the pre reg (but thank god I did!). So glad it's all over now, was one hell of a long and tedious process!!

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    She asked me for loads of information and forms to view which luckily i'd prepared but had been advised I wouldn't need them for the pre reg (but thank god I did!).
    Can I just be nosy and ask what those forms were? I'm always worried about staying on top of information when people are told different things. :S With me it was the insurance, I was told that I had to have it before pre reg inspection, and then Ofsted said I need not have bothered until after they'd passed me. Hmm.