All new to this...confused.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All new to this...confused.

Hi Im hoping for some friendly advice. I currently work in yr one as a TA level three, with 16 yr of working in nurseries etc. and really want to hopefully start childminding, however I am currently due to finish my workshops (Lancashire area), my first aid isn't yet its april may time before I can actually book on that (more money) I don't have! I currently already have the level two first aid and also the dbs checks am I right in thinking even though I have a crb from 8 yr ago when I started working in schoo land work with children now I still have to apply for a new dbs??and the amount of advice and how to do things eg policies or what to write in policies, how to go about them or what even how to write and planning and the big Ofsted terrifies me I haven't a clue where to start, the other thing is I cant give up my job without full time children and so hoping to start of still working in school but offering holiday care and hoping word of mouth and me advertising may gain some interest, is there anyone who can relate to me or is it just me that finds all this mind boggling???? thanks for reading x.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When you do your childminding qualification course you will cover policy writing, so don't worry too much about that yet.

DBS - I think you will need a new one and you need the DBS-update service too, and for all adults living with you.

No need to think about planning yet- once you have done the childminding qualification course and have a good understanding of the EYFS and the learning and development requirements you can start to think about how you want to record children's progress (scrap book, online system, folder, diary etc) and find what works for you. At pre-reg you do not need to have that ready and you are not inspected until nearer 30mths after registration so you have plenty of time to work out your own system, we all change how we do it all the time anyway and look for improvements.

Starting with holiday care is a good idea, try to get to know local minders so you can get an idea of local demand, speak to your LA and see what support there is locally.

Good luck with it!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome.

When I first stared childminding, I worked in retail during the day, and did before and after schoolers.

I can take months ( and months ) for all your training, DBS checks etc to be done, so I would agree that is too early to give notice at your school.

September and January are often busy times for new childminding work.

You will find loads of information on this site to help you.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't hand my notice in at work until my pre reg visit had been booked as the whole process takes forever!
    Once I knew the inspection was happening and that I'd be able to advertise I could set a date to stop work, couldn't afford to take a break between jobs

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your replies. My current situation is at the moment financially I have to have that regular income every month from my school job. I need several things in place yet before my pre registration visit such as I do need the first aid as I only currently have the refresher level two, that will be March/april time, Then I need to send off the dbs checks more money for me and my husband, then with the workshops I only have one more to attend I get a visit wihin the course to check I have everything in place. She did say I need to show my planning of how I would do it examples and daily diaries etc. No idea how to start these yet!
    My house isn't ready either though it looks like a normal home apart from my new ikea storage units, I am hoping not to change it to look like a nursery setting I just want a nice friendly home which I can sort of convert back to my home at weekends.
    Can I become registered and just offer school holiday care and carry on working employed within school until there is demand where I could possibly give up my job but as said I would have to be full to allow to do this, because I just could not afford to live without a regular income at the moment coming in, we would definatly be in the trouble if I did. I am wondering if it is possible to carry on working full time plus just offer holidays. ?
    thank you for reading x