Pre-reg feedback
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre-reg feedback

Well I finally had my pre-reg visit yesterday, and I passed! Yaaaay!

It took about 2 and a half hours, and to be honest it felt more like a job interview than a chat. I wasn't at all nervous, which helped, but I definitely got the impression she was testing me.

So, she started by asking if I'd completed the Preparing for your Registration Visit booklet, which I had. I had a pile of notes half an inch thick but she didn't actually ask me any of the questions in the booklet!

She looked at my Safeguarding Policy - recommended a couple of minor tweaks, including putting some of the signs of abuse in there to share with parents, which I hadn't wanted to do. I asked her to read my Mobile Phone and Camera policy too, as it's so closely linked, and because my DO hadnt liked it (i think my LA dont want us to use cameras on phones, but I fully intend to) and she was fine with that. She liked that I'd put in about ds's/iPods/iPads etc. She also looked at Complaints policy, Medication and Lost Child. Btw, She said that a lot of people have a sentence in the Lost Child policy saying that they would alert people around them to help look for the child, but this is unacceptable from a safe guarding point of view and Ofsted don't like it.

She then gave me four safeguarding scenarios, all of which required me to notify appropriate authorities etc, and she seemed pleased with my answers.

Then she moved onto checking the house - all ok except for the gravel on the patio. I did argue it; said I had risk assessed, and would supervise little ones while teaching them not to eat it, but she wasn't having any of it. She said that if I had free flow between the house and garden it was too big a hazard for under threes, and I'd fail my graded inspection. I do see her point - so once I've finished writing this, I'm going to go and get shovelling....

Oh, and she wanted each lo to have their own towel or kitchen roll...

Then she asked me lots of questions on the EYFS and suitable activities for different ages for the different areas. The focus was very much on teaching rather than free play. She wanted independent activities tailored to gaps in children's learning and development, termly assessments to share with parents, Next Steps focused on skills rather than resources.... She also recommended use of a daily diary.

One thing I wasn't expecting was the amount of time she spent inputting stuff into her laptop. It did give me a bit of thinking time, but felt a little like being at the doctor. And I expected her to look around the garden, but she didnt venture off the patio and just asked me if I had any poisonous plants.

Oh, and she recommended reading local Ofsted inspection reports (i had, and had already read some of hers in preparation for her visit), and the Evaluation Schedule for Early Years Inspections. And then she asked me if I had any questions, told me I would pass and she was sure I'd be a good childminder!!

Job done! Hope this is useful to someone.
    Now to go and get my shovel out....

2. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done... but another example of Inspectors making up their own rules- gravel, for goodness sake!

I have gravel around our patio right up to the back patio doors where we go in and out, and I have toddlers/babies, yes they love picking it up but I supervise and no one's swallowed any yet! My inspector never mentioned it. What if you take them to beach/park with gravel? They need to learn what not to put in their mouths.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Why can't they all be the same?! I've heard stories on inspectors being lovely and friendly and a nice simple chat... Then full on scary interviews that take several hours. Bet I get a picky one..

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done ... But gravel ...??!! I have gravel in my children's play area. The children love digging in it, transporting it, making patterns etc.
    Xx

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have gravel too, it's quite big, so more like stones, but it has never been mentioned.....

I would say if it's actually been written down as a recommendation, then fine, change it, if not, then it can't be that serious an issue.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    I would say if it's actually been written down as a recommendation, then fine, change it, if not, then it can't be that serious an issue.
    Do I get a written report about my pre-reg visit? If so I'm sure she will mention the gravel on the patio - she was on a mission. To be honest I don't think it's worth the aggro, so it's already gone.

Although I still have a load more gravel down the bottom of the garden... which is staying...

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive actually done the opposite and made a gravel area for diggers and transporting etc. for one lo who would play this way all day!
    But in your place I would have done the same..even if it wasn't an action I wouldn't want to run the risk of the same inspector coming back for my first graded inspection!!!

9. Likes Bundle liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bundle View Post
    Do I get a written report about my pre-reg visit? If so I'm sure she will mention the gravel on the patio - she was on a mission. To be honest I don't think it's worth the aggro, so it's already gone.

Although I still have a load more gravel down the bottom of the garden... which is staying...
    No, if you are 'approved' you get your certificate. Not heard of any other outcome.
    Inspectors say these things (like gravel, fences needing attention etc) and expect it to be sorted by first graded inspection. But as that is now 30 months after being registered I don't know how they expect to keep check of any little 'concerns' they had at pre-reg visit.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    No, if you are 'approved' you get your certificate. Not heard of any other outcome.
    Inspectors say these things (like gravel, fences needing attention etc) and expect it to be sorted by first graded inspection. But as that is now 30 months after being registered I don't know how they expect to keep check of any little 'concerns' they had at pre-reg visit.
    That's a good point.
    Anyway with my luck the next one will probably complain that the concrete underneath is dangerously hard if they fall over
    and demand gravel....

Even so, I can't wait to get my certificate and get started

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    But as that is now 30 months after being registered I don't know how they expect to keep check of any little 'concerns' they had at pre-reg visit.

I thought they gave you a graded visit within three months?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TabbyTuTu View Post
    I thought they gave you a graded visit within three months?
    It used to be within 7 months of registration, but recently announced via a Nursery World article that it is now going to be within 30 months. They said this was so that inspectors can concentrate on getting round all the Inadequate and Requires Improvement settings who have not yet been re-inspected. Also they said it was so that settings can embed their practice or something like that- basically so settings have more time to be working before they are inspected.

There was a link on this Forum to it recently, OFSTED announce new inspections regime (26 Sept 2014)

There has not been an 'official' Ofsted announcement it seems.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bundle View Post
    She said that if I had free flow between the house and garden it was too big a hazard for under threes
    And yet my pre-reg inspector expected that I would always be in the garden with the children. I think the uncertainty that comes from inspectors' inconsistency is perhaps the most stressful aspect of the inspections process!

Glad that it went so well overall! x