Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Safety glass...

Registered Childminder since
    July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safety glass...

I guys, just a question regarding safety glass. We have 2 doors with glass on the lower half and upper half of the doors. They dont have the safety markings. One door had safety film put on it as the council woman picked up on it. The other door wasnt done and I'm worried with our reg visit on Friday that it will be picked up and failed for it? We have had 2 diff council women visit us and the first never said anything but the 2nd did. We are waiting for the other door to be sorted but it won't be done in time. I thought maybe we could temporary take the door down and put a stairgate up but its the kitchen door and there probably should be a door for fire safety reasons?? Help... Anyone got any ideas??

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I have similar doors and all they said to me was not all glass have the kite symbol on and if I have any doubts then put the film cover on the glass panels but in all honesty mine have been fine x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It looks good if you have already done it but I am sure if you say you have risk assessed and will add the film it will be ok.
    Surely it isn't the council's job to do things we all have to do to our homes in order to make it ultra safe for LO's in our business.
    Could you pick up some film and do it before the pre reg visit?

Good luck.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You won't 'fail' because of glass- you may be asked to sort it out- like a 'recommendation'. Or she may not notice it at all. You can tell her when it will be done and show her the one which is done.

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies guys that's good to know! It's just we were told that Ofsted don't do any 'recommendations' anymore and if you fail then you fail and have to go through the process all over again!

Won't have time to get the other door done before the visit, the men that did it didn't realise it was both doors. Never mind. Hopefully the woman doesn't notice

Also, we have a pond which we have fenced off but we have not put netting over the top of it. Will that be enough? To me it is enough as the children will be supervised outside, and we will notice if they go through the gate. But you know how some people can be a bit over the top with regulations etc....

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Apr 99
    Post Thanks / Like

Cover the pond or lock the gate.....a tie wrap would be ok in the short term. It is not a risk worth taking.

8. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRabbits View Post
    Thanks for your replies guys that's good to know! It's just we were told that Ofsted don't do any 'recommendations' anymore and if you fail then you fail and have to go through the process all over again!

Won't have time to get the other door done before the visit, the men that did it didn't realise it was both doors. Never mind. Hopefully the woman doesn't notice

Also, we have a pond which we have fenced off but we have not put netting over the top of it. Will that be enough? To me it is enough as the children will be supervised outside, and we will notice if they go through the gate. But you know how some people can be a bit over the top with regulations etc....

With the best will in the world there are bound to be occasions when you just cannot watch everyone in the garden for every minute they are out there. Either you have to nip indoors to do something quick or turn your back to attend to another child for some reason. It only takes a few seconds for a child to slip through somewhere they shouldn't be and you can't take that risk with a pond.

xxx

10. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same doors and ordered some safety film of eBay and it was here today (ordered mon). So can be done quite quickly. I think it shows you are proactive in sorting this out but again if u remove the door and safety gate it again this is the same thing u r being proactive in the dangers but this would be cost effective if u already have one.