Lease states no business to be run from flat.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lease states no business to be run from flat.

Hi there

I own my flat and have noticed the lease states I cannot run a business. It is a share of freehold with 24 directors. Has anyone had experience with this? Essentially I will be self-employed and not a registered business.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you google 'self employed' then the word 'business' comes up on most explanations.
    Sorry.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It can't hurt to ask. They may make an exception, especially if you explain you'll have to keep it in good order for Ofsted.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that. It defiantly doesn't hurt to ask. Unfortunately it is classed as a business but I see what you mean. Try explaining that to them. Good luck x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Holmes View Post
    Hi there

I own my flat and have noticed the lease states I cannot run a business. It is a share of freehold with 24 directors. Has anyone had experience with this? Essentially I will be self-employed and not a registered business.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you
    High there yes I have. We bought the Freehold of my block of 24 flats and we all had a Share in the Freehold and a Board of Directors. I was the Chair of the Board for a while!

I would advise you to at the very least write to the Board explaining what you want to do and the possible impact it could have on your neighbours. Even better ask if you could meet with the Board (who will be your Neighbours anyway) for a few mins before their next meeting. I find it easier to explain what I do than to write it down, but still take a letter that they can look at and reply to. You need their consent in writing to work as a childminder. One of your strongest arguments is that as long as you never exceed 6 children you are not considered a business by local planning, you do not need a change of use of the flat to work as a sole childminder. You need to explain to them that you need a letter from them confirming they are happy for you to work as a sole childminder in the flat and the permission is for you alone and is not transferable. I worked in a Leasehold flat for 10 years with permission like this and in fact Ofsted never asked to see the permission though i wouldn't have felt happy without it.

6. Likes bunyip liked this post