Looking after 2 under 1 (family friend)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking after 2 under 1 (family friend)

Hi

I am in the process of registering and one of our family friends have asked whether I can look after her child when I am registered, as she would prefer to give her to someone she knows . Currently her dd is 5 months and mine is 2 months and our children spend a lot of time together.

I explained to her that it is very unlikely for Ofsted to grant a variation to a new business, but I would enquire all the same.

By the time I am registered maybe June time, her daughter will be closer to the 1yr+ age bracket. Am I wasting my time in applying for a variation or should I attempt and explain to Ofsted how I would plan to take care of the both of them successfully?

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! As you said it is quite unlikely but you could maybe argue continuity of care if you already looked after her daughter frequently.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A variation for 2 under 1s is treated differently to a variation to increase you EYFS numbers, so there is more chance of you being granted it. It often doesn't matter if it is for new business. You would need to demonstrate how you would be able to look after 2 babies, how you would ensure each child in your care had individual attention, what equipment you would have etc.

The fact that it's a sibling of an older child would also go in your favour.

There's no guarantee you'll get it, but it's definitely worth a try

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    A variation for 2 under 1s is treated differently to a variation to increase you EYFS numbers, so there is more chance of you being granted it. It often doesn't matter if it is for new business. You would need to demonstrate how you would be able to look after 2 babies, how you would ensure each child in your care had individual attention, what equipment you would have etc.

The fact that it's a sibling of an older child would also go in your favour.

There's no guarantee you'll get it, but it's definitely worth a try
    How soon after registration can I apply for the variation?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How far are you through the registration process? If you haven't actually completed it yet you can ask to be registered for 2 under 1s from the beginning. If Ofsted haven't been to visit you yet you can ask about it when they come out.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, I would go for it, as long as you can demonstate how you would be able to care for them you should be okay. I do know a cminder who got a variation for 2 under 1's when she was newly registered, she was in the same situation as you, had baby of her own and a friend wanted her to mind their baby. Ofsted will probably ask you about equipment as well, where you would put both babies down for naps, how you would get out and about etc. I got a variation for 2 under 1's, I had been minding a couple of years but as long as you demonstrate that you have thought it all through properly, you should be okay. Good luck x

Post Thanks / Like

I would apply straight away, you have nothing to lose by doing that and, as your friend's baby will be almost one by the time you are registered that should go in your favour too.

Good luck

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you had your pre visit, a friend of mine asked about it when she had hers and they did i there and then, worth a try. I have a variation for two under 1 and i was new childminder they did come out and i just talked about how i have double buggy, three high chairs, two travel cots ect. Go for it.

onceinabluemoon Guest

I had a variation for two under one's within 3 weeks of being registered so they definitely do it but you do have to show how you can cope with 2 under one year (and remember that they then become two 2 year olds!! )

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    How far are you through the registration process? If you haven't actually completed it yet you can ask to be registered for 2 under 1s from the beginning. If Ofsted haven't been to visit you yet you can ask about it when they come out.
    Application has gone in, but no pre-reg visit yet.

Thanks for advice, I will enquire at pre-reg visit.

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba-mum View Post
    Have you had your pre visit, a friend of mine asked about it when she had hers and they did i there and then, worth a try. I have a variation for two under 1 and i was new childminder they did come out and i just talked about how i have double buggy, three high chairs, two travel cots ect. Go for it.
    Why three high chairs?

Also my dd has her own cot, so would look to get an additional one (travel) for the additional baby.

Was thinking of getting another bouncer, playmat etc. Are there any other key equipment I would need to get?

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just to update...

Just to update...

I had my pre-reg visit on Friday and I was approved for max numbers, but not for 2 under one as she said I didn't meet the criteria.

She did say however in September when the EYFS framework changes I will be able to decide what make up of ages I want. By that time the potential mindee will be almost be one, so it will be irrelevant at that point.

She was nice though and I am glad I asked the question.