Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Unsure if Certificate is right

Hi,

I have received my certificate today and when Ofsted visited on Monday she said that I could have up to 5 children, 1 under 1, 3 between 1 and 5 and 1 between 5 & 8 as I already have a 5 and 8yr old myself but my certificate says i may care for no more than 4 children under 8 years, of these not more than 3 can be in the early years group and of these not more than 1 may be under 1 year. So now I am a bit confused. Does the certificate sound right or is it something I should question? Or can someone just explain it to me?

Thanks

Mel x

aly Guest

your own child will take up a space so they will reduce your numbers.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think its right... Reason being your 8 year old shouldnt be in your numbers...

You would normally be allowed 3 age 0-5, 1 of which can be under 1
    and
    3 age 5-8 (but when they turn 8 they dont count in your numbers and a 4 year old in full time school goes into this age group)

I would give Ofsted a call Monday

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add - your own 5 year old would count and be reduced from your numbers so you would only be allowed a max of 5 children under 8

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Your certificate doesn't sound right. It shows the number of minded children you can have as your children are already taken into account.

Including your own children you can have a maximum of 6 children under 8, so that means you could have a maximum of 5 minded children under 8 as one of your children is under 8, but the other is older.

That is unless there is any limit put on it by the space you have etc.
    Last edited by Mouse; 17-02-2012 at 11:17 PM.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Your certificate doesn't sound right. It shows the number of minded children you can have as your children are already taken into account.

Including your own children you can have a maximum of 6 children under 8, so that means you could have a maximum of 5 minded children under 8 as one of your children is under 8, but the other is older.

That is unless there is any limit put on it by the space you have etc.
    I agree, i would def query it. x

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help, I have a 5 yr old and a 7yr old but Ofsted said they will put her down as an 8 yr old as she will be in a couple of months. So I should still be allowed a child between 5 & 8? If so thats the bit they have not put on my certificate, they have just put the 4 under the age of 5. 1 under 1 and 3 between 1 & 5. Also Ofsted did say I could have 5. Does that make sense? Will query it on Monday and if they have to send a new one its not a problem as I have no mindees yet!!

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I would query it to, or youll lose a valuable place

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melco View Post
    Thanks for your help, I have a 5 yr old and a 7yr old but Ofsted said they will put her down as an 8 yr old as she will be in a couple of months. So I should still be allowed a child between 5 & 8? If so thats the bit they have not put on my certificate, they have just put the 4 under the age of 5. 1 under 1 and 3 between 1 & 5. Also Ofsted did say I could have 5. Does that make sense? Will query it on Monday and if they have to send a new one its not a problem as I have no mindees yet!!
    As your child is only 7, your certificate is technically correct. The inspector may well have told you the wrong thing and Ofsted can't count them as being out of your numbers until the actually are. Once your child has their 8th birthday, phone ofsted and they will increase your numbers by one.

You are also a bit confused about the ages of children. It is not spilt into under 1, 1-5, and 5-8. It is misleading if inspectors word it that way and it leads to confusion.

Your numbers are split into EYFS children and children out of the EYFS, but still under 8.

Your certificate says you can have 4 children under 8 (technically correct as you have 2 children of your own under ). Of these 4 children, a maximum of 3 may be in the Early Years age group (that is, from birth up until the 31st August following their 5th birthday. It is not just until their 5th birthday.) Of those 3 children, only 1 may be under 1. It does not mean you can have an under 1 as well as those 3 children. It means you can only have 3 EY children, and only one of those can be under 1. That then leaves 1 space for you to have a child who is out of the EY age group and under 8.

So, for example, you could have:

a 10mth old
    a 2yr old
    a 3yr old
    and a 7yr old.

The 10mth, 2yr old & 3yr old would be your "maximum of 3 children in the EY age range, only only of which can be under 1".

But, to confuse things more, you are not limited to only 1 child in what you call the "5-8 range". You could have, for example, four 7yr olds if you wanted. This would them fit your numbers as being the "maximum of 4 children under 8yrs of age". You would then not be able to have any younger children though as you had your maximum of 4 in total.

Does that make sense, or does it just confuse you even more

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mouse xx

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That does make sense. So basically Ofsted told me wrong with my eldest putting her down as 8 and I can have 3 children in the EY but only 1 of these under the age of 1 and 1 child between 5 & 8? I think I was more confused with the way certificate worded and what Ofsted said as she told me I could have 5 children, but would that be once my eldest turns 8? To be honest I don't want my full amount but do not want to turn people down so just want to confirm. Have I got it now?