Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I mind with my hubby and we have 2 dogs too! We are always full, and have parents coming back out tomorrow eve to sign contracts for the one space we have becoming available in Sept.

Most parents love the fact we work together, and the different aspects we each bring. They all love the fact we have dogs too, (2 Cav King charles), who are brilliant with the kids.

I like working with him (most of the time! ) as it can be a lonely job sometimes. It's nice to have someone to support me too, when I'm having a 'bad day' and vice versa.

xx

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My hubby works as my assistant, and I have to say that, on the whole there have been lots of positive responses from people

We have a number of single parent families who love the fact that there is a positive male role model for their child and we have discussed on many an occasion, with parents, all the different things we bring to the setting. ie I am more creative and good at planning and paperwork and he is good with construction toys, lego/duplo, charging around the park like a nutter, etc etc

I think there have been one or two people put off but on the whole, it has been positive. It did take a while to fill all the vacancies (added when dh registered), but it took me a while on my own to become full

I think that it can be harder for a man working on his own though. I do remember when I was looking in to childcare for my 6yo, that I looked at a nursery with a friend and there was a man working there. I thought it was a great idea and she turned around and said "what's his game?" I was so shocked that that was her attitude, she just assumed that a man can only want to work with children if there is an ulterior motive

Can't comment on the dog front but I know a lot of people have found it to be a benefit rather than getting negative responses - but remember, you can not please everyone, there will always be someone put off by a dog or cat or pet of any description

I want fish now but have no-to put a tank

HX

jun 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Helcatt View Post
    ie I am more creative and good at planning and paperwork and he is good with construction toys, lego/duplo, charging around the park like a nutter, etc etc

That sounds familiar.
    Graham
    Assistant to d' ex boss

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rayberrys View Post
    I hate to say it but in all honesty I would not send my children to a male childminder unless I had known him well as a friend perhaps, before he became a childminder. I would feel different if it was a couple working together. I hope you don't all shout at me for saying it but I would not leave my children with a single man childminding.
    At the risk of upsetting a few people i do sort of agree with this comment. I would not leave one of my children with a new male childminder with no references from previous parents. We all know what has been going on with the press the last few years and how bad things have become, i mean who would have thought that letting a priest of all people have contact with your child could end up being a bad decision. However i would happily leave my child with a male childminder who has got a lot of experience and has many references, in all honestly i think there isnt enough men. Maybe the best thing would he worked with you for a bit and when he has built up a reputation then go off his own was and become a registered childminder in his own right. Its just an idea but i would happily leave my child with a new male childminder if these were the circumstances.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon01 View Post
    At the risk of upsetting a few people i do sort of agree with this comment. I would not leave one of my children with a new male childminder with no references from previous parents. We all know what has been going on with the press the last few years and how bad things have become, i mean who would have thought that letting a priest of all people have contact with your child could end up being a bad decision. However i would happily leave my child with a male childminder who has got a lot of experience and has many references, in all honestly i think there isnt enough men. Maybe the best thing would he worked with you for a bit and when he has built up a reputation then go off his own was and become a registered childminder in his own right. Its just an idea but i would happily leave my child with a new male childminder if these were the circumstances.
    I am upset by this remark, not because I am a male childminder but the fact that I believe gender is not the issue, wasn't it several woman that was involved in taking inappropriate pictures at a nursery only last year and sent to prison, plus there have been several other incidents of child abuse involving woman.

Would you leave your children with a new female childminder with no references from previous parents, if so may I ask what is the differance?

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I am upset by this remark, not because I am a male childminder but the fact that I believe gender is not the issue, wasn't it several woman that was involved in taking inappropriate pictures at a nursery only last year and sent to prison, plus there have been several other incidents of child abuse involving woman.

Would you leave your children with a new female childminder with no references from previous parents, if so may I ask what is the differance?
    I agree Dave

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Dave;1038300]I am upset by this remark, not because I am a male childminder but the fact that I believe gender is not the issue, wasn't it several woman that was involved in taking inappropriate pictures at a nursery only last year and sent to prison, plus there have been several other incidents of child abuse involving woman.

This was just what I was thinking, I think people always think a childminder is going to be a woman the same as people always think a midwife is going to be a woman, I had a male midwife and he was fantastic much better than the female midwife I had the second time round. I would be happy for my children to go to a male childminder, I have seen some terrible behaviour from female childminders over the past couple of months. I think if you are good at your job and the children are happy in your care it doesn't matter your gender.
    Sam xxx

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Dave, gender would not be an issue as far as I would be concerned if I were leaving my child with a childminder - I would be looking for references/recommendations.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SamBaker;1038318]

This was just what I was thinking, I think people always think a childminder is going to be a woman the same as people always think a midwife is going to be a woman, I had a male midwife and he was fantastic much better than the female midwife I had the second time round. I would be happy for my children to go to a male childminder, I have seen some terrible behaviour from female childminders over the past couple of months. I think if you are good at your job and the children are happy in your care it doesn't matter your gender.
    So true Sam, I came into minding from nursing which again is another female orienated profession. The best nurses I worked with were men. I always said I wanted a male midwife, but there wern't any where I had my children
    like you say, some of the attitudes of female minders in my area are awful and quite honestly I would not recomend or leave my own children with many of them

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good point Dave, and exactly what I was thinking!

HX

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave you do make a good poin, and the fact is i haven't thought about if a female childminder has no previous experience, and I guess if i had children then i would not leave them with a female childminder who did not have any refetrences. I have never come across a male childminder, nither have i come across any men in the nursery's i know. All of my male friends and relatives would not be very good at childminding, they havent got that emotional kinda of attachment, maybe they will develop it later in life, but i would happily leave children with my male friends for say an hour but i wouldnt leave them all day every day. I know there are men out there that will be great at the job, and i do think they can do a better job than many women. Having heard the rest of the comments on here i can think of a quite a few female childminders in my area who i would never consider to look after my children if i had them.

There is a lot of predudice out there though, and i was just saying maybe it would be easier to build up a good reputation as an assistant first then go on to becoming a full child minder. This is what im having to do as I am well aware there are many parents who will not want to bring there child to me as a 23 year old, without children, no younger family, and no previous experience at working with children. Like ive said above if i was a parent i would not leave my kids with someone like me, if i was to become a childminder on my own that is. As it is i have a few people waiting for me too look after their children because i will be working alongside my mother-in-law who has about 20 years experience and turns many people away. Its just something to think about but maybe a route like this would be better for yourself.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly the society we live in still sees males as the people who would do something to a child no matter how many stories in the paper feature just women and again sadly I think this will never change. I also think people will accept a couple working together more than a male working on his own.

An interesting point from my point of view is that I have two paretns previously question why I work as a childminder when I don't have children of my own as if to say I was doing it for an ulterior motive. I also have had childminders question why I do it as well.

I do find it sad though that one of the replies saying they wouldn't leave their child with a make childminder was from someone involved in child care although I respect their right to their opinion.
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

sep-09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally believe that some parents would have a problem with a male minder but then I think you will find some parents against most things for example some will be not so keen on a minder who is overweight - will they over feed/keep up with my children, house is too big - will my child be kept an eye on, house is too small - is there room for my child, a setting that is very busy - will my child be noticed, a setting that is quiet - whats everyone else spotted, a childminder who is gay - will my child turn gay. House is too tidy, house is too messy, not enough toys, too many toys, too many older kids, pets, no pets
    etc ...

In truth we all face discrimination and are sterotyped at times, but we have to be ableto show the parents that their child will be loved valued and be safe.

I would be very keen on a male minder for our children, as a gay lady I will be looking to surround my child in male role models to support them being well balanced young people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12