Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default supervising in the garden

Hi there,

I haven't been childminding too long, and am only looking after a baby at the moment. I have after school children and a 2 yr old girl starting at the end of Jan. Could you please tell me - am I allowed to let them out in the garden on there own? Is has obviously been ofsteded.
    I have my own 20 month old who I will let out there, but will always keep an eye on out the kitchen window, but am not sure in the eyes of Ofsted, whether or not I am allowed to let them play out without me being out.
    I will be having a 9, 6 and 5 yr old too - surely it will be letting them be independant by letting them play out by themselves won't it? I can understnad maybe not letting my 20 month old and 2 yr old but just wanted some calrification on this matter. I am due my first inspection around march time and just filling out my SEF, so don't want to write that I will let them play out by themselves if that will get me in trouble!
    Thanks

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I let my older school age mindees play out on their own as long as I am in a position to keep an eye on them so I will leave the patio door open a bit so I can hear what's going on and will be in the kitchen a lot to keep looking out of the window as and when. Obviously I know all gates are locked and secure and I know I can trust these children. The younger mindees, 20mths, and 2 x 2yrs I probably wouldn't let out on their own especially as 1 is a climber and very accident prone. I think it's all about RA each child and showing that you are keeping them safe and monitoring them even though you might not actually be in the same physical space as them IYSWIM.

xxxxx

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If its secure and the children are within your sight or hearing its fine. I can see my garden from both downstairs rooms and unfortunately its not very big so they can't really go anywhere, (would love a bigger garden) Mrs O asked me how I managed outdoor play and I told her that they go out whenever they want to and that whether I go out with them depends on the balance and ages of children. If its freezing cold and one wants to go out but I have a baby that needs to stay warm I can meet both their needs simply by being near the window. In my own garden I would let an independent 2 year old out on their own, if I had a bigger garden with hidden areas or couldn't see them then I wouldn't. You need to risk assess (not necessarily written) what is approriate in your setting for each individual child.

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your replies, yes i think leaving the older ones is ok, but maybe not the 2 yr old and my 20 month old - thanks!