Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ratios for a 5 and 6 yr old

hi,

i've just become registered and got a 9 yr old starting next week, and in January have a 5 and a 6 yr old.
    I am aware that you are allowed pretty much as many over 8s as you want as long as it doesnt compromise the other children and I am allowed 5 under 5's etc, but where do the 5 and 6 yr old come in? what ratio do they take up etc?

and do I have to do the EYFS on the 5 and 6 yr old?

many thanks!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure where you get the 5 under 5 from unless your working with someone else.

Usually you are allowed 6 under the age of 8. No more than 3 may be in the early years group (0-5) and within this no more than 1 may under 1 at any time. Then you are allowed 3 between the age of 5-8.

Your own children will affect these numbers.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Your certificate will state your exact conditions and if it says 6 under 8 that is the total number of children in that age group and how you range the ages and numbers is up to.

i.e. 2 under 5 and 4 5-8 years

Children have to have the EYFS completed on them until 31st August after their 5th birthday so it all depends on when you 5 year old turned 5. I use the rule, I do the EYFS until they finish Reception class

BUT

make sure your certificate shows a clause about children being classed as 5 once they attend school full time (10 sessions per week) or they may still be classed in your under 5 numbers if you take on a school aged 4 year old

Hope that isn't too confusing
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the wording on your certificate about how many children you can care for?

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

i think i got the 5 under 5's bit wrong, im at my paretns at the mo so can't look at my certificate - need to read it properly i think! i no im allowed the maximum children i am allowed becuase i have enough space etc - i just struggle getting my head round the ratios x

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Not sure where you get the 5 under 5 from unless your working with someone else.

Usually you are allowed 6 under the age of 8. No more than 3 may be in the early years group (0-5) and within this no more than 1 may under 1 at any time. Then you are allowed 3 between the age of 5-8.

Your own children will affect these numbers.
    I agree with Elmo

Be thankful you are not in Scotland We are only allowed max 8 under 16!! but then i suppose i dont want to be a nursery
    XX Jill XX

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

right, ive read my certificiate and it says that i can care for no more than 5 children under 8, not more then 2 of these may be in the early years age group (is this under 5 yrs old??) and not more then one of these may be under one i have my own 18 month old too.

it says when caring for a 4 or 5 yr old who is in full time education (which the 5 yr old startin in jan will be) then i may increase the numebr in the early yrs age group by the number of childrne in full time education, providing the maximum number is not exceeded. PLEASE HELP I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS BIT?

please can any one help me get my head round this.

i have an 18 month old daugher, a 9 yr old mindee starting next week after school and a 5 and 6 yr old starting in jan after school. how will this affect me if someone wants me to look after their child all day say 8-6pm? how many children and at what ages am i allowed to look after? thanks!!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiross1 View Post
    right, ive read my certificiate and it says that i can care for no more than 5 children under 8, not more then 2 of these may be in the early years age group (is this under 5 yrs old??) and not more then one of these may be under one i have my own 18 month old too.

it says when caring for a 4 or 5 yr old who is in full time education (which the 5 yr old startin in jan will be) then i may increase the numebr in the early yrs age group by the number of childrne in full time education, providing the maximum number is not exceeded. PLEASE HELP I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS BIT?

please can any one help me get my head round this.

i have an 18 month old daugher, a 9 yr old mindee starting next week after school and a 5 and 6 yr old starting in jan after school. how will this affect me if someone wants me to look after their child all day say 8-6pm? how many children and at what ages am i allowed to look after? thanks!!

Ok, taking the above into account, you will currently have

Early Years Group - 1 child (your DD)
    You therefore potentially have 2 further EY spaces available, so aged 0 - 5yrs

School age children you have
    5yr old school child
    6yr old school child

You potentially have 1 space for another school age child

9yr old - Doesn't count in your numbers so can be ignored (not literally)

Does this help?

xxxx

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree with Alice K.

With the children that you have starting You will still have 2 spaces available for children 0-5 years and 1 space available for a school age child 5-8 years.

The 9 year old only counts on inurance grounds which will say something like you can only care for 12 children at a time!

You may have to do EYFS on the 5 year old until next september as Debbie said.

If you only wanted to work with after-schoolies only you could fill all 5 spaces with 5-8 year olds but that would limit your income as you would have no-one all day to be paid for IYSWIM!

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, that makes it clearer thanks so much!!!

i had a lady come to look round today who only needs me for an hr and a half in the morning, from 7.30-9 for her three yr old, as i don't have any other under 5's i feel like i can't turn her away, and the 7.30 doesnt put me off as i'm up early with my daughter anyway - however, this may affect me later on if i recieve enquiries as i have stated my start time is 8am so if i get two enquiries for say a 3 yr old and a baby to start at 8am i wouldnt be able to as i'd have this child until 9 - if that does happen am i then able to give notice to the parent and explain my reasons why (this is if she chooses me of course!) x

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiross1 View Post
    ok, that makes it clearer thanks so much!!!

i had a lady come to look round today who only needs me for an hr and a half in the morning, from 7.30-9 for her three yr old, as i don't have any other under 5's i feel like i can't turn her away, and the 7.30 doesnt put me off as i'm up early with my daughter anyway - however, this may affect me later on if i recieve enquiries as i have stated my start time is 8am so if i get two enquiries for say a 3 yr old and a baby to start at 8am i wouldnt be able to as i'd have this child until 9 - if that does happen am i then able to give notice to the parent and explain my reasons why (this is if she chooses me of course!) x
    I would take it for the moment and see how it goes - it could be a while before you get more enquiries it depends on demand in your area. I have a LO that starts at 10.00 so if you were lucky to get one with a later start like this you would not need to give notice.

You can give notice at any time for any reason without actually giving a reason IYSWIM- it is often best just to say "due to a change in circumstance". You need to follow the notice that you set in the contract so if it is 4 week notice then you give 4 weeks.