Will my record stop be being registered?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Will my record stop be being registered?

Hi All,

I'm filling in the application for to start my registration but I've got myself all wound up about the police checks.

I have a record (assault, theft and breach of peace) from 2003 when I was 15/16. It sounds alot worse than it actually is but I'm worried SCSWIS (Scotlands Ofsted) will bin my application because of it. Will I be allowed to explain to them the circumstances around it? I was an awful teenager but not been in any trouble at all since then. I'm going with the honest approach and hoping they can see I'm not a bad person.

I'm so scared that being young and stupid will scupper my plans for my future

Does anyone have any advice or experience?

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't say from experience, but the general feeling I get is that OFSTED treat each case individually - at the end of the day you were 15/16 when it happened and have plenty of time to grow up and mature, they will see that! Also, really they're looking to avoid people that have a long history of abuse or anything child related. HTH x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be honest and put everything down, they may want to speak to you about it in more indepth and arrange a time to discuss it with you, it doesnt mean an automatic no, they will look at each case on their own and make a decision, hope it works out for you x
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Feb 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same worry, I was arrested when I was 15 for theft :S Was a stupid time and regretted it ever since, just hoping they won't turn me down for it x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Please let us know how you get on because I know someone in the same position. x

oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

What might happen is ofsted will come out and ask you to talk about all your stuff on your record ( they had to come out to me due to my hubby's crb from years ago) they will write down what you say then it will be put to a panel for them to decide. I'm sure your be fine, it's just hard not knowing, all you can do is send all your stuff off and wait.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You will be ok, it was a long time ago, Ofsted is actually very understanding about these situations....I've read posts with far worse worries about past records and they have been fine.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression that what you did before you were 18 was wiped clean once you turned 18 yrs.
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma4Ya View Post
    I was under the impression that what you did before you were 18 was wiped clean once you turned 18 yrs.
    Not for an enhanced CRB.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice!

I'll keep you updated with how it goes. After looking into it a bit more, I don't think it will write me off. I can only be honest about it and tell the inspectors everything so they can see that they can trust me.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Narnia34 View Post
    Not for an enhanced CRB.
    oh there we are you learn something every day
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

In Scotland It is now a PVG you get (you become a member of the protection of vulnerable groups and you will be checked against the sections relevant to children - as there is an adult version too) any other adults in house (well over 16) get enhanced disclosure.

The Care Inspectorate as it is now known will prob contact you to discuss things if the above does throw anything up but this might not be until your pre reg visit which is arranged after they have pvg, disclosures health checks and references all back and complete.

Good luck let us know how it goes
    XX Jill XX

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi not sure if its already been said as other posts arent showing but ofsted will normally ask to speak to you and hear what actually happened and being as u were only 15/16 Im sure that it wont hinder ur application it may just take a bit longer but best of luck xxxxxxx