Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Struggling

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Struggling

Ladies I need a little help if you dont mind and it got me thinking.

I have worked with children for the last ten years but in a nursery, I then took two years off when my son was born and now I have started childminding. I have found getting my living room to look like a home as well as a setting very hard.

We rent our property and we do not have a large amount of room. At the moment I have three small units which are slowly filling with toys but need to make the area more welcoming to the children. Any tips?

Penny1959 Guest

Think portable

So hang posters on picture frames or stick to the back of picture - then just have to take down or turn round. If you have a fireguard use it as a display -I found that I cound leave a string tied end to end and it was not that visable when not being used but with the aid of some mini pegs I could used it to display number lines etc.

I used a clothes airer to display the childrens art wiork - again with aid of pegs - used to stand in front of tele when not on as also then made a barrier for the tele.

Find a friend who will share resources - or join a toy library so can rotate without having to store everything.

Get one of those over door hangers then use those net storage bags or those jumper hanging things (you know canvas thing divided into boxes that supposed to hang in wardrobe) use to store light things like puppets, teddies, and small things like a threading set and so on.

Hope that is a starting point

Penny

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't just think floorspace but Walls, windowsills, doors and ceiling too!
    Is your sofa high enough to store shallow boxes underneath? If the kids know they're there and can pull them out themselves it would be ideal for puzzles. If it is very low, like ours you could fix up a board with beading / edging around it to stop things falling off, and put jigsaws and puzzles on, or shapes, large letters and numbers, or use it as an instant roadmap for driving cars around.
    We have a hook in the ceiling which alternately holds a hammock seat (ikea) or a mosquito net / tent thing
    You could also use hooks in the ceiling to hang round mesh storage solutions on
    Bunting can be quickly tied on to curtain poles etc and taken down again.
    Ikea do door hangers / storage things.
    You can get magnetic paint which you could use on one of your Walls - then paint over it with your Normal wall colour for magnetic shapes etc.
    I use a over the door shoe storage which has 30 pockets to store various items in.
    Tescos are selling brightly coloured bath mats at the moment - I bought a few in different colours for a splash of colour an individual mats for the kids to sit on. Plus: they're easily washable and easy to move away if needed.
    Mobiles can be hung from little hooks and you could connect two hooks or screws by string to hang paintings or displays from.
    Utilise lost space like behind TVA, chairs, sofas, etc, to store flat packed things like pop up tents or boardgames.
    Have you got a. Coffee table? Make use of it for arts / crafts or role play by covering it with a wipeable table cloth in bright colours.

Hope some of this helps

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I find this hard too as don't have a playroom and don't want to live in a nursery.
    Over the door hooks with those plastic photo pockets or notice boards for artwork / posters / parent notices, they hook on in the morning and come back off and get shoved in a cupboard at night. Nice wicker baskets on wooden shelving to hide all the bright coloured plastic.
    Thanks to the two previous posters for some fab ideas which I will be pinching!!!

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got these http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...86/#/10103088/
    with these boxes
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00109477/
    and on the boxes I've got picture labels of the toys in there, so when I'm working that side is facing out, and in the evening I turn them around so nobody can see the labels. I've also got these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Picture-Pock...8190120&sr=8-2
    with pictures of the children one side, and pictures of my family and friends the other side - easy peasy to flip over.
    And I have got this
    where I display their art work. It comes down at night and I put my picture up again on the hook.

I must say I enjoy finding solutions like these. I also have a folding dining table, so when I'm working it is usually folded down as most of my children are very young and just need lots of space to play.

xx

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I just thought if something else! If you've got a rug in your living room you could put a car / road map underneath it for "storage, then simply take it out and put it on top to play with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post

I used a clothes airer to display the childrens art wiork - again with aid of pegs - used to stand in front of tele when not on as also then made a barrier for the tele.

Penny
    I really like that idea Penny, thanks

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

great thread! you all seem so inventive! any ideas what i can use to display all my certificates, as i was thinking of a notice board and pin them all to that, but ofsted told me not to use safety pins as they could fall out etc!
    I want to have quite a big display and cant drill too much into my wall! x

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Some really great ideas thanks for sharing

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiross1 View Post
    great thread! you all seem so inventive! any ideas what i can use to display all my certificates, as i was thinking of a notice board and pin them all to that, but ofsted told me not to use safety pins as they could fall out etc!
    I want to have quite a big display and cant drill too much into my wall! x
    What about a large magnetic board?

Or you actually get magnetic paint now
    XX Jill XX

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a thought tonight. I sometimes use a shower curtain to save my carpet when doing messy activities but what about hooking one up on the wall and using it as a display board. May be cut it into two for seperate displays. What do you think?

I thought they could be removed easily the only thing is making sure the display does not fall off the curtain.

Adele x
    playfullearners.com

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keeks View Post
    I've got these http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/pr...86/#/10103088/
    with these boxes
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00109477/
    and on the boxes I've got picture labels of the toys in there, so when I'm working that side is facing out, and in the evening I turn them around so nobody can see the labels. I've also got these
    with pictures of the children one side, and pictures of my family and friends the other side - easy peasy to flip over.
    And I have got this
    where I display their art work. It comes down at night and I put my picture up again on the hook.

I must say I enjoy finding solutions like these. I also have a folding dining table, so when I'm working it is usually folded down as most of my children are very young and just need lots of space to play.

xx
    I have the same IKEA expedit bookcase with the box inserts and LOVE it. I have the largest one, which has 25 spaces for boxes. I leave some open so the kids can get to the books and some toys and have some designated to each child with their picture and name on them, along with picture and written labels on others for the type of toys in them. I love it because it's super easy to care for, tidy and hides everything.

Best of luck!

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyingaround View Post
    Ladies I need a little help if you dont mind and it got me thinking.

I have worked with children for the last ten years but in a nursery, I then took two years off when my son was born and now I have started childminding. I have found getting my living room to look like a home as well as a setting very hard.

We rent our property and we do not have a large amount of room. At the moment I have three small units which are slowly filling with toys but need to make the area more welcoming to the children. Any tips?
    Hi guys i'm in the same boat as you but i'm sort of managing. There are Pictures of my setting on my website taraschildminding.webs.com on the me, my family and our home page x Link to this forum is on my links page xx
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tara_louise1990 View Post
    Hi guys i'm in the same boat as you but i'm sort of managing. There are Pictures of my setting on my website taraschildminding.webs.com on the me, my family and our home page x Link to this forum is on my links page xx
    Hi Tara,

I looked at your pics and i've been looking everywhere for somehting like your storage unit - can you also tell me where you got the clear boxes that fit inside it? many thanks!