Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default update on first visit and potential mindees

Visit went very well. Mum arrived on time
    2yo was asleep so she was carried in and laid on couch to continue sleeping while we talked.

Considering how little time ive had and speed of things happening in last 24 hours i did very well. lol

So basically mum is happy with my house, me, policies, hourly rate etc
    She is going to college (got a last minute place as someone else pulled out)to do childcare lol
    2 girls 2yo and 3yo would be roughly 36 hours a week(each)
    m-f with wed being a half day. 3yo goes to nursery for 2.5 hours in the afternoons

She didnt know anything about retainers so had to explain that to keep her place in hols she would pay a % if she wasnt needing me and if she did want to use me those days / weeks she would top it up to normal fee
    The college is going to pay her childcare between £3 and £4 per hour - well my fees are £3.80 ph so thats ok- does anyone else have experience with that.

Anyway ive sent her away with questions to ask the college such as
    Do they just pay while she is at college for childcare what i mean is she would have to drop off at 8.30 but college starts at 9am? I know she will get travel expenses
    Will they pay weekly/fortnightly advance/arrears is it straight to my bank account
    Also wouldnt think they would pay hols as she is not there lol so is there a way round this eg charge £4 ph all time as college will pay that charge full fees while 3yo at nursery ( normally i would charge half fees to get the parent in the door IYKWIM cos dont do sibling discount)to top up the money and then give her a reduced retainer in hols - its mainly summer hols she would be worrying about as college hols are long and lots of money for her to pay out.

If im missing an obvious point please tell me my head is so mixed up lol

She says if she could have signed there and then she would have.

Any more ideas for handing notice in at work as dont want to do that and everything go pear shape

Thanks for reading
    XX Jill XX

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It sounds like you are organised ... I know how hard it must be deciding whether to give up work or not.

Toss a coin maybe?

Sleep on it over the weekend things happen for a reason and the right answer will come to you

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just make sure everything is OK with college paying you before you give your notice in (if that's possible).

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It does depend on the college as to how they deal with childcare payments. I have had one mum that was in arrears monthly paid by cheque from the college - no holiday payments.

I have had another at a different college that she was given the money and then she paid me in advance. This one paid a retainer over the holidays.

Both paid from the time the child was dropped off until collection.

I would definately wait to get the answers from the college until you make a decision. It is hard knowing when to hand your notice in. but with these 2 full time it is ideal.

Good luck

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got one thats just started, college is paying 85%. She is getting other funding for the rest. I had to work out the fees up until June for her and still have to invoice monthly. I don't charge a retainer, but my term time only rate is higher than normal to cover some of the shortfall. Other minders in my area charge a higher rate too. And i've been lucky enough to sign another "college family" this morning, so had to do it all again

AUG 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have been very organised, as for handing i your notice, I would make sure 100% that you get this parent, as I handed in my notice in thinking i had parents ready for when i had left my job, only to be let down by them all, now out of work for 1 and half months and struggling to find parents.

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beccles26 View Post
    Sounds like you have been very organised, as for handing i your notice, I would make sure 100% that you get this parent, as I handed in my notice in thinking i had parents ready for when i had left my job, only to be let down by them all, now out of work for 1 and half months and struggling to find parents.
    This is what scares me there are maybe things about my present job i dont like and i know i want to give the minding a good go but my job just now brings in money and you cant get past that IYKWIM
    Im just too nice lol cos other people i know have just left previous jobs without even telling them
    XX Jill XX