Disposable gloves at nappy time - totally necessary???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disposable gloves at nappy time - totally necessary???

Was jut wondering if some of the more experienced childminders can please tell me why we have to wear gloves when changing mindees nappies?

i dont wear any to change my own babys' nappy and alwasy scrub hands afterwards so why do I need to be wearing gloves??

Sorry if its a bit of thick question

Jo xx

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

To help protect yourself from horrible things like hepititis, hiv, and other things that are in bodily fluids. it doesnt mean any child has these but they could.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I always wear gloves for the reasons above but also because I get bad ezcema and washing my hands every five minutes kills them :-(

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit I don't wear gloves I hate them!!! I always make sure I wash my hands well before and after nappy changes! Very occasionally use them if I have a REALLY messy nappy, but just can't seem to get on with them to use all the time!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I always wear gloves I think it demonstrates good practice protects yourself and the baby ie you could have a cut on your hand and the baby may have hepititus or another ailment that you are not aware of. It was in the press a while ago that a grandfather caught polio from changing his grandaughters nappy. Also as the girl says it also protects you from excessive handwashing
    Linda

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't ever used to wear them as I couldn't get on with them and didn't see the need. That was way back when I first started minding and all you could really get were the plastic ones like you use when you dye your hair Then I was given a box of vinyl gloves that actually fitted properly and thought I might as well try them. Well, now I could never go back to changing a nappy without them It makes it all so much easier and less icky! I use gloves for all sorts of messy jobs now and wouldn't be without them

June 10
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks ladies,

I was talking to my paramedic friend about it andthis is what she said -

"Amazing isnt it that this rule exists and yet now as medical staff we are not advised to wear gloves unless blood etc, as its been proven that good hygeine beats gloves .. Wonder why they didnt listen to us, we have been telling the management this for years "

So if paramedics are being told not to use them why do we?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i only use gloves for really yucky nappies! ( or for injuries with lots of blood etc )

i wash my hands before and after, and use a quick squirt of antibac gel.

much better for the environment that filling it up with gloves! bad enough with all the nappies!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_nanny_uk2 View Post
    thanks ladies,

I was talking to my paramedic friend about it andthis is what she said -

"Amazing isnt it that this rule exists and yet now as medical staff we are not advised to wear gloves unless blood etc, as its been proven that good hygeine beats gloves .. Wonder why they didnt listen to us, we have been telling the management this for years "

So if paramedics are being told not to use them why do we?
    We're don't HAVE to use them (though they might have to in Wales), but I prefer to. I still wash my hands well before & after nappy changes, but I now hate the thought of child wee or poop on my hands! I definitely use them through personal choice, nothing at all to do with being told to, or even from a hygiene point of view.

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

oooo just reminded me to buy some! thanks!

Oct 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use with a very dirty nappy, I still wash my hands after so it doesn't save my hands and as mentioned its extra going into landfill and they can't be recycled.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

i use gloves for soiled nappies but not just wet ones - much nicer than having baby poo on your fingers
    Blessed Be!

Post Thanks / Like

OfSTED will want to see that you have effective hygeine measures in place, but you don't have to have them. It's not just for your protection but for anyone else in your setting.

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    We're don't HAVE to use them (though they might have to in Wales), but I prefer to. I still wash my hands well before & after nappy changes, but I now hate the thought of child wee or poop on my hands! I definitely use them through personal choice, nothing at all to do with being told to, or even from a hygiene point of view.
    I'm the same as you mouse, the thought of poo under my finger nails makes me quite ill, especially as an ex nurse know that most peoples hand washing is not sufficient (including my own when pushed for time). I have always worn them for wiping bottoms when working so couldn't see the difference when childminding and changing dirty nappies. I sometimes change 6 dirty nappies in a morning. The thought of the cross infection issue, or the the state of my hands after being washed with hot soapy water for at least 2 mins after each one, if I didn't wear gloves doesn't bear thinking about
    Another issue that often comes up on here is mindees passing on D&V to CM's and their families. Much of this comes down to good hygiene. I have been minding on and off for 19 years and can safely say I have never caught D&V off a mindee or one of my own children come to that. I wear gloves for loads of things and wouldn't be with out them.
    Sorry I will get off my soap box now, didn't mean to preach, just infection control has always been a passion

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

The other thing that's grim to get up your nails is nappy rash cream!! I've discovered it's a much less disgusting experience putting the cream on a child whilst wearing gloves lol!!

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

thing is its possible to pass on blood through stools - likewise with vomit. I'm recently converted to be honest I felt tit too clinical a step too far - but you know with dirty nappies i'm actually converted - just wet nappies I agree nothing beats a good handwash.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

onceinabluemoon Guest

I use one glove, on the hand the does the wiping (the other one is holding the legs up). Less for landfill but no poopy fingers