Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: cypop 5?

Registered Childminder since
    Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cypop 5?

I'm new to childminding, Got a parent coming to see me tomorrow night regarding me looking after her child, however i'm starting to panic as I was just reading through a few posts and came across one which said you have to do a cypop5 course before you can become a registered childminder? I have never heard of this course, the lady from ofsted never mentioned it to me? Help!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to speak to the Local Authority who are dealing with your Registration they should be telling you what you need to do.

My understanding is CYPOP5 or something similar and First Aid, enhansed CRB for you and all those over 16 in your setting, Insurance, Register with your local authority through Environmental Health as a Food Business and they may inspect you, Register with the Information Commissioners Office for Data Protection as a min before you can start minding.

I am surprised you can interview prospective parents yet. Do you know when you will be fully registered it sounds as if you are in very early stages?

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

No, i already have my certificate. thats why im confused

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

How odd! Do you have an equivilant qualification? If not get in touch with the people who did the Registration for you in your area and ask them.

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

No, no other qualifications. It was never mentioned, not on my briefing session, pre reg or when ofsted came in do my inspection. the lady from ofsted asked to see all my certificates I had, like first aid and that but she never mentioned anything to do with the cypop5. Could it be that different areas dont require it?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought all new Cms in England had to do something.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to have first aid and crb before getting registered and complete the first unit of 'diploma in home based childcare' within 6 months of being registered.

Anthea

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

afyer ur briefing meeting, did u sign up for a pre reg course, some areas it is an evening a week 2-3 hrs for 6 weeks but in my area its now 12 weeks.

u must of done some sort of home base childcare course, it may not have been called cypop 5?

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

mumto3. I went on a briefing session, then a pre reg course, it was spread over 4 days 9am-5pm. That is the only course I have done, expect from my first aid.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi, i started using the name CYPOP5 (course code) as i could not be bothered to write 'How to set up a home based child care practice' (new name)
    Also known as the ICP 'Introduction to Childcare Practice'. (old name)

As far as i know all of us must do it within 6 mths of being registered (8mths in i'm just starting!)

You should have heard about it. My funding support officer for Lewes, Mid sussex sent me the info, have you some kind of contact like that?

Its not a 'qualification' like the first aid but it means you know how to 'set up a home based child care practice'.
    hope that helped??

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

No no one has told me about that at all. I have no one to contact either, should I have some one I can contact?? Im so confused Ive been registered 3 months now so that leaves me 3 months to get it done Where do I go to do the training? Is it something I can do online?

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

dont worry about it, as i say i've been registed 8 mths and just started 2 weeks ago. I've done 4 of the 9 tasks!

I would try your local council as they may(?) subsidise it.
    Or call your local childminder contact, in your very very first meeting there would have been a contact list of you area Chidminder co-ordinator.

Worst come to worst do it yourself. The course is from the NCMA and its £190 and you do it at home on the computer and internet. I went through council and will get £100 refund when i'm finished.

www.ncma.vctms.co.uk is the site but you may not get any info off that as you need log on details i think.

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I will call tomorrow see what they can do. Thanks for your help

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The pre-reg course you did over the 4 days 9am-5pm, will have been the homebased childcare/cypop5/ICP. It is called different things across the country and is done over different hours. SOme people seem to do it over 12 weeks a couple hours a week, I am in the middle of doing it over 3 days. You should have had some evidenced based work to do and an assignment to hand in (ours doesn't have to be handed in for 6 weeks).

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

doing in online now but the class room learning was one saturday a month for 5 mths, diverse isn't it?

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kblake View Post
    mumto3. I went on a briefing session, then a pre reg course, it was spread over 4 days 9am-5pm. That is the only course I have done, expect from my first aid.
    The pre reg course you did over 4 days, did you learn, amongst other things, about safeguarding/the EYFS/how to set up your business/what policies and procedures are, which ones you MUST have and ones that help you run your business effectively?
    Did you then have to submit written work to be assessed to either your tutor or someone else?

If you suspected a child was being abused, do you know who to contact? If so, where did you get that information from?

If you're still unsure, then contact your early years team through your local council who will I'm sure be able to explain/confirm what the course you did was

Chrissie

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the replies. I called Ofsted and they confirmed the 4 day course I did was all I needed to do, I was just confused as I have read different people saying they have to hand their assesments in etc. I never had to do any of that, we had home work to do after each day but it was just answering questions. But all is good.

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont get why different counties do it all different ways, after all it's ofsted that regulate us seems really unfair