Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default start up costs???

Hi there,

I just had a quick question, I am trying to sort out my finances as I have been made redundant, so money will be tight. I just wanted a rough idea of start up costs, reg fee' s, insurance, etc. I have my pre reg course the beginning of July, not far off now, but am trying to do some bits and bobs now, to get me in the right mindset.

This is so I can get a rought idea in my head, and roughly set some money a side to lessen the impact.

Any imput will be appreciated

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have spent a fortune but I have been 'collecting' things for a few months and it soon adds up!

Do you have your own kids? Do you already have any equpiment etc

I have 2 daughters who are 6 & 4 so found i needed to re-buy alot of the younger things, highchair, buggy etc

As for fee's you might get some help with grants etc but there is nothing in my area so i have personally had to pay for:

First Aid course - £80
    Ofsted Fee - £35
    Cypop course (with ncma) - £190
    GP Health declaration - £30

Then there is public liability insurance, possible increase in your home and car insurance, signing up with the data protection people......that's all i can think of for now.

Sure someone will be along with a more definitive list x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

GP Health declaration - £30
    This can vary as GP's can charge from £35 some people on here have paid £100.

I wouldn't buy to much equipment until you actually need it high chairs etc see what age children you will be looking after as you may buy a load of baby stuff and not need it if you have 3 and 4 year olds. Especially with money being tight. I had to start from scratch as my two are teenagers so I got the safety equipment needed fire blanket/ first aid kit etc then some opened ended resources that everyone likes wooden blocks/animals/dolls/puppets/craft and have gradually built up. When I signed up a young baby I then went a bought the things I needed eg bouncy chair.
    Car boots are a good place to look as I got my travel cot from there it belonged to some grandparent that kept it for their grandson had hardly been used.
    Pixie Dust

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My total start up costs were £2864 but that included everything from fuel to get to courses and gp costs and toys ect. I probably got more than i needed to start with but hey ho
    Crazy Crackers

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Im quite lucky as i have 2 young children so the baby items and toys etc are covered, i have had to pay out £85 for 1st aid, £150 for my course, £35 ofsted, my council pay for my 1st years insurance which is a help

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems to be costing me a fortune:

- Ofsted fee: £35
    - First Aid Course: £117.50
    - CYPOP 5: £120 (I think, must chase them for a receipt)
    - Food safety course: £58
    - Health declaration: £61.50
    - First aid kits (one for home and one for out and about): £30.51
    - Fire blanket: £18
    - Mattress for existing travel cot: £30
    - Safety film for glass: £16.50
    - Safety locks, bolt for front door, other safety stuff: £50
    - Domain name and webspace to host my website for 1 year £35

So about £570 so far but I still have loads more to buy. I have decided to draw the line now and will not be spending a single penny more until I am registered and somebody is ready to sign a contract. I estimate it will cost me about £1500 in total, partly because I have my eye on a new Phil & Teds Explorer.

I still need to pay for:
    - insurance
    - NCMA membership (might not bother with this one)
    - contracts and possibly some other paperwork to get me started
    - lots of printer ink and folders for all the paperwork I have to print
    - double buggy
    - ICO registration
    - paper towel dispenser
    - fridge thermometer
    - toys for older children (mine two are still little)
    - an extra high chair or booster seat
    - multicultural resources
    - some advertising, maybe fliers or childcare.co.uk (not sure what yet)
    - who knows how many other millions of things

Luckily I have some toys, books, travel cot, safety gates, socket covers, children's plastic dishes, changing mat and some other things due to having young children of my own.

There is NO WAY I could have registered if I didn't have such a hard working hubby funding me So a big thanks to him!

When my friend registered a few yers ago she got loads of grants and free courses and hardly had to pay for anything.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbie1512 View Post
    My total start up costs were £2864
    Gosh that is a lot! I hope you have found lots of mindees and earn it all back quickly

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I feel really lucky compared to you guys! I have a 1 year old, 11 year old and 8 year old step children so already had many toys but still, I guess Gloucester is the place to be!

First aid: £40
    Health dec: £0
    Course: £0
    Ofsted: £35

I can't believe some areas are charging over £100 for the course!

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Free CHIP course
    Free Insurance (1 year after registration)
    Free paperwork (helps working in a preschool)
    Free CRBs

Ofsted reg - £35
    Health check - £74 (eh!!)

and essential Ikea spends (well thats what I have told the OH) £163

so far............................................... ....

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the replies

I already have an almost 2 year old, an almost 9 year old, and my eldest will be 16 in January.

I have gates etc. for my youngest, and her age group toys, and books toys for 6-9 years etc., don't have much baby stuff left, but I suppose that depends if I have a baby.

Hopefully it wont cost me ore than £1000 in all, the cheaper the better, as money really is very tight, hopefully my council are still offering some bits free, my fingers are definitely crossed

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i paid the following:-

course admin fee's £35
    Ofsted reg fee £35
    medical declaration £81
    First Aid £50
    First Aid Kit £15
    Fire Blanket £8.50
    Liability insurance £80
    NCMA admin and bis pack £50

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Im in Nottinghamshire and I get a grant for £295 but have to pay out first and claim it back with my receipts when im registered
    NCMA pack £144 but that has been paid for already by Council, this contains first year liability insurance, contract paperwork,medication administering paperwork, accident forms, fire blanket, NCMA membership for 1 year.
    Health Declaration £10
    Ofsted reg £35
    First aid kit £12
    safety locks, plug covers £8
    First aid course - free
    IHP Course - free
    I will have to purchase pushchair, highchair,car seat some younger toys. Have 2 girls aged 5 and 6 so have some toys, books etc that they dont need anymore. But I suppose costs are ongoing depending on the children I look after.

June11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi im under bradford council and we got

ofsted fees £35 refunded so didnt cost me anything plus health form fees, ncma insurance and kit free, fire blanket, about 60 pound voucher towards safety equiptment which i got a travel cot. A free multicultural resource pack including some books, soft teddys, instruments, posters etc.voucher for business cards and flyers a few hundred we could get.

All in all i was very lucky and i have lots of baby and toddler stuff already from my daughter so just need some resources for over 5's really. So cost wise i wont have to pay out much.
    First aid and other courses were all paid for too.

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nat222 View Post
    Hi im under bradford council and we got

ofsted fees £35 refunded so didnt cost me anything plus health form fees, ncma insurance and kit free, fire blanket, about 60 pound voucher towards safety equiptment which i got a travel cot. A free multicultural resource pack including some books, soft teddys, instruments, posters etc.voucher for business cards and flyers a few hundred we could get.

All in all i was very lucky and i have lots of baby and toddler stuff already from my daughter so just need some resources for over 5's really. So cost wise i wont have to pay out much.
    First aid and other courses were all paid for too.
    You were lucky! Would be nice to get more freebies but i get reimbursed for first aid and ofsted costs and we get the Ncma pack and free fire blanket and a years free insurance and membership i believe.

I dont have any children so this is costing me a lot of money considering i only work part time as it is. I've decided not to buy any major toys untill i know what children i've got signed up.

I'm saving plastic containers and empty toilet roll tubes for craft stuff.

Ive bought books mainly for varying ages.

I've printed off a few pictures for colouring in and ripped up old colouring in books i hadn't filled in from when i was younger and i'm making a folder for them all.

I bought a laminator so i can make my own long lasting learning resources.

I've got an easel and a mat with them roads and things printed on it for toy cars. Need to get the toy cars yet though.

I have an old nintendo Ds hanging about they can use.

My dad also gave me my little sisters old ladybird plastic pram too.

I've got a couple of small foam balls (gonna buy some small rackets too)

We bought a table tennis set today which works well on our kitchen table so that's there for kids to use too. It wasn't a CM buy, it was me and partner deciding we'd impulse buy. haha.

Can't think what else i've got i still need to get all the safety equipment! I'll probably buy one of those starter packs and see what else i need after.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

In my area we get no help what so ever so I have to pay it ALL out of my own pocket (well hubbys wages)

I really think the funding should be the same in all areas, it just doesnt seem right imo

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumto3 View Post
    In my area we get no help what so ever so I have to pay it ALL out of my own pocket (well hubbys wages)

I really think the funding should be the same in all areas, it just doesnt seem right imo
    Some area's may have cut the funding sooner than others for start up help. My area have just cut their funding for future CM's. They tried to hold off as long as possible. I was lucky to have got in when i did.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my pre reg course is in a few weeks, and I am expecting the funding to have been cut.

I am trying to do some bits to the house in preparation too, so dont want to spend a forutne on toys resources etc until I find out what age the mindees will be. Hopefully there is still some funding available but I am not holding my breath

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just totalled up my spends so far out of interest because of this thread and i've spent £322.97

thats mainly on books!(Fiction and activity ideas etc) Reg fee's, health check and first aid. Also some stationary. If i included the petrol costs at 40p per mile to all the courses, then it's £436.57!

I've not even bought any first aid kits or made my house child friendly yet with them safety kits. Neither have i really bought any toys untill i know age ranges! haha.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kezzle I forgot about milage costs, must make sur eto make a note of these

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharonmanc View Post
    Thanks Kezzle I forgot about milage costs, must make sur eto make a note of these
    Your welcome. For Start up i would include anything and everything i could.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast