Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vegetarian childminder

I am in the process of registering (Ofsted is coming Tuesday), am a vegetarian and only planning on serving vegetarian food. Wondering if there are any other vegetarian childminders out there, and what your experince might be with parents when you tell them.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vegetarian childminder

Hi Trine, I'm vegetarian too, but I've let my kids choose once they're old enough to understand where meat comes from, and now all 3 of them eat meat. My youngest is nearly 2, and we haven't waited with her, because we went on holiday in June and the food was so bad, there was hardly anything for vegetarians and I couldn't see her starving every night, so she started eating meat and loves it.

I do serve meat to the children I mind, but as I do it for my own, it's not too much of a problem. I must admit though, I gag when I cook mince, the smell is revolting!! And I don't do things that would need lots of handling of raw meat. I do fish fingers, shepherds pie, sausages. I also do lots of Quorn dishes and serve to the meat-eating children, most of them like it.

I think if I wanted my children to eat meat, but the childminder didn't eat it, if it's just one meal a day, or only a couple of days a week, they're not missing out on much meat, so shouldn't be a problem? See what Ofsted say, but I'm sure they come across different religions that have beliefs about certain meats, so can't see why this would be any different. Let us know what they say.

xxx

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am vegetarian for religious and moral reasons, so would think Ofsted will understand but not sure if parents will.

Jul 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I'm not sure and only a meat-eating parent could comment on how they'd feel... hopefully one will help you out. I don't think I would mind, as long as the child was getting a balanced and healthy variety of food, and I'd serve meat at the mealtimes when the child/ren were home with me. I'm sure some parents will be fine with it. Why not advertise as a vegetarian minder, see what response you get?xxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be fine with my dd not eating meat with a cm as long as the food was healthy and plenty of veg etc..

She would eat meat at home so I dont think its a problem plus I think vegetarian parents would like it.

jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

hiya.

as a meat eating mum of 2, i would have no problem with my kids not having meat at a childminders. I dont always serve meat with every meal anyway and if its healthy and tasty im sure the children wont mind.

In fact it could well be a bonus for vegetarian parents.

x

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a vegetarian, but am happy to heat up food containing meat supplied by a parent if they prefer to do that. Though fish pie baby food was sent in once and my daughter had to go eat in the other room while i fed the mindee, as the smell made her feel sick. lol
    The mindee i have at the moment is vegetarian, so her parents were really happy to find me, i have a parent coming to meet me next week who doesn't eat pork for religious reasons, and is happy that i serve vegetarian food as it saves the hassle of her daughters working out what does and doesn't have pork in. Though any other childminder would serve pork free food anyway.

So after that waffle, being a vegetarian childminding household hasn't caused any problems but been an advantage

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am vegetarian and I only provide veggie food (I do fish sometimes). I have said I am happy to reheat and serve meat if sent by parents but wont do stuff like sausages from raw as I am scared of poisoning someone! I dont charge extra for meals if the child is here for 4 or more hours, no one has yet sent food with their child. The parents have the choice that way.

My own kids have the choice when they get to the right age but I still wont cook it at home. However they can choose it for school dinners or if we go to a restaurant. 2 eat it, 1 doesnt.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I suppose it depends on whether or not the child is having a cooked meal with you or not.

As a meat eater I would respect a vegetarain family and either serve the food they sent in or provide the veggie option.

So I would expect a vegetarian family to respect my views
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot serve meat for religious reasons. I have raised my own 5 children vegetarian and have said they can choose when they are older, but the older 3 all say they will never eat meat (the of youngest 2 are too young to tell). I serve a balanced and varied diet with plenty veg, lentils, beans, seeds ect. and all my children are perfectly healthy. I will just have to hope parents will understand, or even better appreciate it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am expected by Ofsted to offer an inclusive menu to all children.

I must take account of their dietary needs, likes and dislikes and parents wishes.

This is how it must be, regardless of my own religion, culture or food preferences.

I think it is very important to be prepared to compromise. For example, at the moment I have a number of menus including...

one menu for me and 1 of my children

one menu for a vegan child

another menu for a child with multiple allergies

another menu for a child who chooses not to eat certain fruit and vegetables

another menu for my daughter who is the fussiest eater in the world

I am prepared to cook vegetarian and vegan meals and meet any other dietary requirements because that is my job.

jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm vegetarian and it has never been a problem with any of my parents. I'm quite open about the fact that I daren't try and cook meat in case I poison anyone! I can just about manage fishfingers and dh got some frozen chicken things I could just put in the oven (probably over cooked cos scared of under cooking!!)

Mostly though I just use quorn in place of meat. Have managed to make the odd ham sandwich by holding it very gingerly and not looking!!!

Don't stress it, really don't think anyone would bother too much as long as you are providing healthy food.

Hth x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My Daughter-in-law is a vegetarian and gave up childminding when little'un was on the way. She never had a problem with the parents - they were happy to let her feed them whatever she'd prepared

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We're a veggie household. Meals are included in my fees. Parents have the choice of their child eating the homecooked veggie meals that I prepare or sending food themselves.

I've only been minding since March but I have provided food for the five children that I have looked after. Most parents do ask what we eat and I have a sample menu to show them. So far, to my knowledge nobody has had a problem with this.

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I am expected by Ofsted to offer an inclusive menu to all children.

I must take account of their dietary needs, likes and dislikes and parents wishes.

This is how it must be, regardless of my own religion, culture or food preferences.

I think it is very important to be prepared to compromise. For example, at the moment I have a number of menus including...

one menu for me and 1 of my children

one menu for a vegan child

another menu for a child with multiple allergies

another menu for a child who chooses not to eat certain fruit and vegetables

another menu for my daughter who is the fussiest eater in the world

I am prepared to cook vegetarian and vegan meals and meet any other dietary requirements because that is my job.
    I guess you are not religious, since you dont understand there is things one will not do if they have faith in their religion. I would not have a problem ommitting foods from a childs diet if the parent wished so, but as I said, I cannot because of my beliefs serve meat. I do respect that other people choose to serve and eat meat, but I suppose I will have to say I would also expect the parents to respect my choice not to. Would you expect a muslim to serve pork? I would imagine there are muslims who wouldnt be happy doing that.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trine View Post
    I guess you are not religious, since you dont understand there is things one will not do if they have faith in their religion. I would not have a problem ommitting foods from a childs diet if the parent wished so, but as I said, I cannot because of my beliefs serve meat. I do respect that other people choose to serve and eat meat, but I suppose I will have to say I would also expect the parents to respect my choice not to. Would you expect a muslim to serve pork? I would imagine there are muslims who wouldnt be happy doing that.
    I think the problem you may encounter is that you could be seen as discriminating against the child if you refused to go along with their parents beliefs and wishes because you are putting your own first. What will you do if a child comes who has other beliefs that clash with yours?

As those of us who have posted have never had a problem I would be tempted to try not to make an issue out of it when ofsted come and if it ever crops up with a parent see if you can accomodate them at the time. Creating a problem now probably wont help much. Would you be willing to give a chid their lunch box if it had meat in? What would you do if a child would only eat ham sandwiches and the parent insisted on sending them? You dont have to know exactly what you will do in every situation as you cant guess what may come up but its a good idea have have a think about potential problems. My way around this is that parents can send it and I will put it out without having to do any preparation.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gigglinggoblin View Post
    I think the problem you may encounter is that you could be seen as discriminating against the child if you refused to go along with their parents beliefs and wishes because you are putting your own first. What will you do if a child comes who has other beliefs that clash with yours?

As those of us who have posted have never had a problem I would be tempted to try not to make an issue out of it when ofsted come and if it ever crops up with a parent see if you can accomodate them at the time. Creating a problem now probably wont help much. Would you be willing to give a chid their lunch box if it had meat in? What would you do if a child would only eat ham sandwiches and the parent insisted on sending them? You dont have to know exactly what you will do in every situation as you cant guess what may come up but its a good idea have have a think about potential problems. My way around this is that parents can send it and I will put it out without having to do any preparation.
    This is what the OFSTED inspector asked me during my recent inspection. She asked about our meals so I explained we are veggie and she questioned what meals I offer. She asked if I was happy for parents to send a lunch containing meat, I am fine with this.

As I said above, I've not encountered any problems. I think I am one of the few minders in this area offering meals. For working parents it is one less thing for them to worry about.

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I will ring Ofsted Monday and ask. I dont want to be in the situation where I have to go against my beliefs. Maybe this is not a job for someone with strong religious beliefs. Wish I had this conversation earlier in the process as I am nearly there now.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a look through your EYFS guide for inclusive practice. There is also a thread on here you could search for by christian child minder who was concerned about minding and being able to practice her beliefs at the same time, there might be some relevant advice on there.

You have to be willing to welcome children with beliefs that are different to your own and teach acceptance of others religions and cultures. If you are unwilling to do that you are likely to have a problem with ofsted. If you can do that then you will be fine, I guess only you know if that is something you are able and willing to do. Food might be the biggest problem in which case it might be easily overcome, if its the tip of the iceberg you may need to have a think about things before your visit. You can ask ofsted questions when they are with you, the inspectors I have met have all been lovely.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trine View Post
    I guess you are not religious, since you dont understand there is things one will not do if they have faith in their religion.
    With respect, I have very strong religious beliefs.

However I also have a job which requires me by law to be inclusive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast