Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Breastfeeding!

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Breastfeeding!

Hey,

its early days to worry about this and it may not even be an issue when the time comes, but...

my 13 month old son is breastfed as and when he likes it still! He seems to be weaning himself off day-time feeds although some days he seems to go back to tiny baby mode and asks for it all the time! I know that by the time I'm registered he could be 18 months or more and may have completely weaned himself by then but I plan to have more children one day (not too soon tho ) and they will be breastfed too!

So my dilema is, what is ofsteads take on this kind of thing? Would I have to hide away in another room to feed my son or should I just let potential parents know that I breastfeed and if they are not ok with it then suggest they found someone else? And just let the kids ask questions if the subject arises?

I have a mummy who is keen for me to take her 5 year old son once I'm registered, but she has already said she has no issue with it as she is still breastfeeding her daughter the same age as my son!

Phew... this was a long-winded post! And I'm sure I have many more important things to be worrying about as far as registration goes... just wanted to get it off my chest (no pun intended ) so that I wasn't worrying about it!

Thanks you muchly in advance for any replies!

Rach xx

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Breastfeeding!

I wouldn't have thought that you would have any parents that object as its a natural part of bringing up children and they have chosen a childminder because they want a home environment and everything that goes with it.

The only time I might foresee a problemm is if you have older mindees especially boys who might get a bit silly/uncomfortable if you were breastfeeding.

I wouldn't worry too much.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not be very happy if Ofsted had a problem with this! Breastfeeding needs to be promoted alot more than it is as such a small amount of mothers actually breastfeed at all, let alone the recomended full 6 months plus.

I would be quite happy for you to breastfeed in front of my children, sitting on the floor next to them while they were playing, with you joining in if you had a free hand. And if my 5 year old felt awkward I would hope you could explain what you were doing to help him feel comfortable.
    ''We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.''

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am pre-reg still, but posted a similar question a few weeks back. My DD is nearly 18 months, and I still feed her.

Her feeds are quire short, probably just once or twice a day, and to the untrained eye it probably just looks like a little cuddle.

Frankly I can't see why a toddler or even an older child, even a boy, would feel uncomfortable about it. It is a natural thing to do, and a simple explanation, if required, will be offered. BF can be done so discreetly, I doubt anyone would even notice, unless it had been brought to their attention.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Perhaps mention to parents but other than that just get on with it

ddw

aly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rachelmarno View Post

my 13 month old son is breastfed as and when he likes it still! He seems to be weaning himself off day-time feeds although some days he seems to go back to tiny baby mode and asks for it all the time!
    My 20 mth old is exactlyt he same. just when I think she is weanign off bam she's on all the time.

As another has said as log as you are covered and not showing too much it shouldn't be a prolem...I have been known to sit out the kitchen quickly as my mindees 6&9 were int he room and I felt a bit uncomfortable with it.

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about it either but you probably need a policy for it!!!
    Liz xx

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt worry, my childminder friend still breastfeeds her younger 2 children at home and in public and they are 4 and 2, shes been a cm for 9 years so Oftsed mut be ok with it

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies ladies! Started my course last night and now realise I have MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY more things to worry about

Think as far as Breastfeeding I'm not as worried after all your encouragement! I'll just play it from ear from here in!

Thanks again

Rach xx

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this! I'm training this week and its been one of the things I've been worrying about too as I'm still feeding my 19mo son. Some days (especially with molars coming through) it seems like he's on all day.
    Wont be forever though and he will be pretty much 2 by the time I start so should be reducing his feeds by then

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still bf my 2nd dd, and I attend a bf group on Friday mornings. Have already spoken to the mum who wants me to care for her son on Friday mornings as asked if she minds him going to the group and she was more than happy. Ofsted never even asked and frankly its not their business anyway. Its not like you are parading around the house with your baps out and a child swinging from your nips.

The chances are the type of parent who wants to use you as a minder will probably have very similar parental views as you - so likely they will be more than happy with you bf in the company of their child.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uf353432 View Post
    Its not like you are parading around the house with your baps out and a child swinging from your nips.

Actually just gave my son a milkshake I'm laughing so much at that! I've just been bitten for the effort too !

Rach xx

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rachelmarno View Post

Actually just gave my son a milkshake I'm laughing so much at that! I've just been bitten for the effort too !

Rach xx
    Liz xx