Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aaggghh Ive just had an enquiry

Oh my goodness

Ive just had an enquiry from a lady on the phone who had seen my website. It's for a little boy of 5yrs for mon - fri shool run and holiday time. she said she would speak to hubbie and call me back to arrange a visit next week in the evening. Im gonna have to go out and buy a few things for that age group now. Ive been buying toys but mainly for under 5s. What are the best toys for a 5 yr old boy these days? hee hee im so giddy now.

Fingers crossed she was genuine

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aaggghh Ive just had an enquiry

my son is 5 and into

lego
    cars
    drawing
    dressing up
    football
    scooter
    skittles
    puzzles
    board games ie snakes and ladders
    dominos

hope these help and you get the contract

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, well done with your enquiry.

I would wait until the boy starts before buying too much and see what he likes.

But you could invest in lego which always goes down well, and also the magnetic toys, but you have to be careful when little ones around.

The boy I look after who has just turned six loves drawing, and also playing with my dinosaurs. He plays with a lot of toys the younger children play with, but just plays differently as he is that bit older.

He also enjoys any arts and crafts and cooking that we do.

Hope this helps.

Maureen

June 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember when I first started out I purchased bits and bobs but when a child started with me I went out and purchased some age appropriate resourses, my favourite line when the parents came for an interview was that toys wereon a rota system ones out were appropriate to the age's I was currently minding and should their lo start I would fetch the rest from the loft

so my advice is dont buy too much before you have actually signed a contract and good luck keeping fingers crossed for you
    Michelle x:current loss to date - 100lb clapping:

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies

Forgot to say this was my very FIRST enquiry!!

My nephew is 5 but all he plays with is Dinosaurs and pirates. Good idea not to go mad and buy lots. Probably go to Asda or Tesco and see what they have as they hvae some good bargains.

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Leanne,I am so excited for you, I notice you are pre-reg can I just ask how far along you are and when did you start advertising?
    I have done my 1st aid ,I am half way through my icp and am just about to send off my forms.I am itching to start advertising!!!!!
    thank you and well done

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations - hope they sign up

I'd wait until the child starts too before you buy too many new things then you can get some idea what he likes

Miffy xx

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab news Leanne. See, I told you that website was good

I'm in the same boat, only really have toys for under 5's as my lo's are 4 and 23 months. Will take advice here and wait before getting anything else. Thanks for asking that question!

jo x x x

Post Thanks / Like

Well done you! Most of the 5 year olds I know are into animals and dinosaurs and things like that - and think the construction things are always a good bet like people said lego and also k'nex that was the most popular thing in the primary school i worked at and stuff like that will last aswell and be popular with any older kids as well as the younger ones.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got 2 boys of my own (7 & 2) that are complete opposites so I would wait and see. You could go and buy lots of expensive stuff then discover he just loves junk modelling!

Good luck

Esther xx

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jessiebessie View Post
    Hi Leanne,I am so excited for you, I notice you are pre-reg can I just ask how far along you are and when did you start advertising?
    I have done my 1st aid ,I am half way through my icp and am just about to send off my forms.I am itching to start advertising!!!!!
    thank you and well done
    Hiya Jessiebessie, thanks.
    I'm actually done I called Ofsted today too and my cert had been posted recorded delivery so i should get it tomorrow woohoo!

Im not actually starting though until March/April as my current job (contract) ends in March.

Good luck to you, start advertising now it will pay off parents around my area are looking for places for summer hols already!!

XX Leanne

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

She called this morning and her and her husband are visiting on Tuesday evening
    They are not bringing the little boy though, was a bit dissappointed about that but they dont want him to blab lol to the present minder. he will meet with me in the next meeting.

Sooooo, now im wondering

how do i start off my whole "sell myself routine" how do you normall start off. Im going to give them my portfolio to read through and then hopefully if they want a brew. Should I show them round the house first???

Any help would be much appreciated on this... all i have ever done was show people round my house when ive been selling it. So never about me really.

xxx Leanne

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Goodluck I have a potential mindee visiting tuesday too

What I did last time (1st time) was I invitied them in, offered a drink and then gave then said would you like me to show you around the house, during the tour I explained about the toys/rotation (hehe as I dont have much boys stuff) and food/eating/craft etc activities on offer, when we got back in the lounge I asked if they had any questions, then answered them and then chatted about LO's interests, likes/dislikes and we talked about where we will go in the day/routines/sleeps and gave them a copy of my policies (I know some only give a few details but the bit about me and everything like that is included in my policies and they seemed so keen. I spent a long time going into why I started childminding as they asked me and lots of other questions that needed fuller answers. Then the LO played and the mum just chatted about her life, what she wants to do when baby arrives etc etc then they left with the promise to get in touch.

GOOD LUCK, try and relax, be yourself and just be interested in what they have to say. I will be re-reading this to calm myself down on Tuesday!
    Paula

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to you both

Let us know how it goes

Angel xx

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singlewiththree View Post
    Goodluck I have a potential mindee visiting tuesday too

What I did last time (1st time) was I invitied them in, offered a drink and then gave then said would you like me to show you around the house, during the tour I explained about the toys/rotation (hehe as I dont have much boys stuff) and food/eating/craft etc activities on offer, when we got back in the lounge I asked if they had any questions, then answered them and then chatted about LO's interests, likes/dislikes and we talked about where we will go in the day/routines/sleeps and gave them a copy of my policies (I know some only give a few details but the bit about me and everything like that is included in my policies and they seemed so keen. I spent a long time going into why I started childminding as they asked me and lots of other questions that needed fuller answers. Then the LO played and the mum just chatted about her life, what she wants to do when baby arrives etc etc then they left with the promise to get in touch.

GOOD LUCK, try and relax, be yourself and just be interested in what they have to say. I will be re-reading this to calm myself down on Tuesday!

Aww thanks hun, great advice there. I have her frined and her son coming on thursday aswell now. So its all go here. fingers crossed for you too xx

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to you both

Hope you get the work

Miffy xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumtodaniel View Post
    Hi, well done with your enquiry.

I would wait until the boy starts before buying too much and see what he likes.

But you could invest in lego which always goes down well, and also the magnetic toys, but you have to be careful when little ones around.

The boy I look after who has just turned six loves drawing, and also playing with my dinosaurs. He plays with a lot of toys the younger children play with, but just plays differently as he is that bit older.

He also enjoys any arts and crafts and cooking that we do.

Hope this helps.

Maureen
    I would also agree here and wait. Children can be so different and if he is in reception class the chances are that he will want to sit and chill when he comes in. Good luck.
    Debbie

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They showed up and they have agreed for their little boy to come woohoo!!

Wont get to excited until i sign contracts with them but they are really keen and they actually said we have made our minds up and we want him to come here.

1 down, 1 to go - oooh what a day

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats great - well done

Katickles