Thinking of giving up!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Thinking of giving up!!

I registered in June, I have advertised in shops, schoold, doctors, tot groups. I have delivered 800 leaflets (and I have blisters to prove it!) and after all that I have only had interest from 2 people. Both decided not to go back to work. I even called one back and droped my price by 50p/hour out of desperation. Im now starting to get into debt and my overdraght can't take many more months with no pay. If anyone has any suggestions please help, or if you know of a good childminder near sharnbrook bedford please help I may need one soon so as I can go back to work.

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thinking of giving up!!

Please don't give up... it can take a while to get up and running - it was 6 months for me and a year before I was full.

Can you get something part-time to tide you over?

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I was the same as Holly, but I had to take a part- tme job on which I did for 6 months, hated every minute, but brought the money in untill the vacancies started to fill. I'm now full after 9 months.
    Dont give up hope, they will come.
    Have you tried contacting your local early years service, they might be able to help, or do some voluntary work at a school, nursery etc, just to get you into the community.
    Hope that helps.

Sarah xx

Post Thanks / Like

It does take a while to get going. Do you have a sticker in your car?

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is one of those jobs unfortunately that you never know when you will or won't be working. I've had my two mindees (brother and sister) since July and Dad did mention that they would like to get the little boy who's 2.5 to nursery when he's 3 in January so I get in a bit of a panic worrying about that. They live 12 miles from me so he wouldn't be in a nursery around here.

I suppose the supermarkets might be wanting people soon with the run up to Christmas but I wouldn't want to do that. I'd have to if there was no cm work though. My dils friend gets £8 ph working nights in Tesco.
    Sue

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

call your cis coz they can bump your add up to top of their website (well think it them lol)

DONT GIVE UP PLEASE, as the others say can you not get a p/t job in eves or when ever you can just for now?

things take time hun so dont give upi befre you have started im sure soemthing will coem soon x
    To Dare Is To Do

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another place which is good for advertising is your local soft play centre, mums drinking coffee discussing the future is good for business. So far I have one potential for Feb through word of mouth at school.

Do you have a business forum in your town. We have a local small business forum that I am going to join as they will help advertise your business and its usually free to join.

I've got one of those car magnets from vistaprint and make sure I park my car with it showing! Have you got a website too? ***** is good for advertising for free.

Good luck!
    Paula W
    Paula

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaza28 View Post
    I registered in June, I have advertised in shops, schoold, doctors, tot groups. I have delivered 800 leaflets (and I have blisters to prove it!) and after all that I have only had interest from 2 people. Both decided not to go back to work. I even called one back and droped my price by 50p/hour out of desperation. Im now starting to get into debt and my overdraght can't take many more months with no pay. If anyone has any suggestions please help, or if you know of a good childminder near sharnbrook bedford please help I may need one soon so as I can go back to work.
    Hi, im in exactly the same position hun, ive had to get a full time job in the mean time as we too are maxed up to over draft limit, got mortgage holiday period, havn't paid a few bills, just ignoring them for now
    Hope things turn round for you soon and you can get straight........ i know how you feel, we have nothing in our fridge at all!!! xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you have had no luck yet

It can take a while when you first start out although you do start with great expectations its not always like that

Hope you decide to wait a bit longer

Hope something turns up for you soon

Good luck vibes being send to you

Keep us posted

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you get more mindees soon! It can be disheartening when business is slow, but this does happen... try and not let it get you down... hugs!
    Jen

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi hun,

I just came on here to post the same as you have. I registered 2 weeks ago so not quite as bad as June but I had expectations of getting filled up quickly.

My support childminder keeps saying I will get work but I am getting impatient and skint!!!

I have even applied for a nanny job up the road from me and believe that if I get it its fate and my childminding will have to go on hold for a bit.

Its so depressing though. I've cried plenty of tears as you get this far after waiting so long and then theres no work.

Trust me I know how you feel.

Good luck though hunny and keep us posted.

Sarah xxxx

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was up and running last December. I got my 1st mindee lined up immediately and my 2nd a week later (my 2nd mindee was the half-sister of the 1st mindee).

My 2nd mindee has just started school and I've had a new part-timer start today.

Business has been VERY slow despite loads of advertising and I just haven't been able to fill my 3rd space at all. I feel the places I have filled have been down to sheer luck rather than advertising (my new part-timer is the child of a mum I know through my tots group).

I'm hanging in there but it's very tough. The credit crunch is affecting a lot of us.

06/08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel I also got my registration through in June. I have advertised in all the local shops, had t shirts printed to wear to do the school run and stay and play groups that i go to with my son (9months). So far I have one school drop off/pick up for 3 days a week hardly enough to be worth while.
    I have got in contact with a family centre who has introduced me to other childminders and mother and toddler groups another avenue for work so i am holding out hope for finding something soon. If you have one by you speak to them and see what they have for childminders or you could try the inclusion scheme, they pay £6 per hour!!
    All the childminders i have spoken to have told me it took 9 -12 months for them to get established.
    good luck