Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! I am panicking over the pre-reg visit :-/

Hi all....

after 5 months of waiting, I have my pre reg visit this week...and I have gone into panic mode!

I have produced numerous policies already, but having just started going thru the pre-reg booklet, and filling it in (which I thought I wouldnt need to do, as I was sure I had all the answers firmly in my head, but they appear to have gone AWOL now!!). I am stuck on a few things, and wonder if anyone can offer some advice please? Also - my risk assessment for my home and garden....I just dont know what to inlude in it...and I cant seem to find any examples anywhere....I am sure I am overthinking everything, but I am going to have an anxiety attack at this rate! I feel so silly, but please if anyone can offer any advice, it will be HUGELY appreciated!

7. How will you know that children are progressing in their learning and development, and how will you use this knowledge to plan for their further development?

9. What arrangements will you put in place to develop a written assessment of childrens progress between the ages of 2 and 3?

And.....I know we can refer to notes during the registration visit, but can I refer to the Development Matters booklet, regards activities for the 7 areas of learning etc?

The inspector told me on the phone to have my Safeguarding Policy and Complaints Procedure ready......is that really all the P&Ps she needs to see?? I do have some others ready (Non collection; Accident and Injury; Behaviour Management; Equal Opportunities; Illness & Medications; Lost/Missing Child) but I am worrying that I may be missing something.

Please someone put my mind at rest or point me in the right direction PLEEEEEAAAASE xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Childminders only need 2 written policies - safeguarding / child protection and complaints.

Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy Contents

Sarahs complaints form

there are a few others we should have in writing such as fees, medication and behaviour but they are not statutory.

It concerns me that you say you have numerous policies...

Childminders do not need risk assessments in writing - as long as you can explain them verbally they are fine.

Risk assessment is simple - what might hurt a child or adult and how can it be minimised?

Don't over-think it...

You know a child is making progress because you are tracking their progress - you use Early Years Outcomes guidance to do this...

This explains the 2 year progress check which is statutory - http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/fi...-How-Guide.pdf

Use Early Years Outcomes rather than DM - http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/fi...s_Outcomes.pdf it is Ofsted's tracker of choice...

You'll be fine! Take it slowly and the answers will come to you

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome - don't panic x

Quote Originally Posted by wondrwoman View Post
    Hi all....

after 5 months of waiting, I have my pre reg visit this week...and I have gone into panic mode!

I have produced numerous policies already, but having just started going thru the pre-reg booklet, and filling it in (which I thought I wouldnt need to do, as I was sure I had all the answers firmly in my head, but they appear to have gone AWOL now!!). I am stuck on a few things, and wonder if anyone can offer some advice please? Also - my risk assessment for my home and garden....I just dont know what to inlude in it...and I cant seem to find any examples anywhere....I am sure I am overthinking everything, but I am going to have an anxiety attack at this rate! I feel so silly, but please if anyone can offer any advice, it will be HUGELY appreciated!Look at each room of your house individually and look for any dangers that could affect a child - BATHROOM risk razors, chemicals -Risk of injury/poisoning low risk - all razors and chemicals put away out of sight and reach of children. Hot water -risk of scalding - low risk - water temperature set at lower temperature. Water - risk of drowning - low risk - children supervised, water never left in bath etc etc

7. How will you know that children are progressing in their learning and development, and how will you use this knowledge to plan for their further development? You will follow their development through the areas of the EYFS

9. What arrangements will you put in place to develop a written assessment of childrens progress between the ages of 2 and 3? For all children that attend the setting who are between the ages of 2 and three you will complete a two year check for the parent to share with the Health visitor. This is in files from 2012 and may be updated somewhere http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...ss%20check.pdf and http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...k%20-%20A5.pdf

And.....I know we can refer to notes during the registration visit, but can I refer to the Development Matters booklet, regards activities for the 7 areas of learning etc?

The inspector told me on the phone to have my Safeguarding Policy and Complaints Procedure ready......is that really all the P&Ps she needs to see?? I do have some others ready (Non collection; Accident and Injury; Behaviour Management; Equal Opportunities; Illness & Medications; Lost/Missing Child) but I am worrying that I may be missing something.If they want you to do anything more they will tell you and give you a chance to put it in place

Please someone put my mind at rest or point me in the right direction PLEEEEEAAAASE xxx

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't panic- it'll be fine. Sarah and Tulip have already given you lots of helpful advice. Good luck

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all...The answers are so obvious when you see them there, but I am over thinking everything right now!

On the phone, the inspector asked for the two mentioned policies, but then said if I had any other paperwork ready, that would be helpful too...... I assumed she meant other policies & procedures? On my ChIP course, we were advised to get some other policies in place.....Behaviour Management, Sickness, Non-collection of child, accident & incident, equality etc - so I have done these too.

I know I am probably just panicking too much.....but if she thinks I am missing some paperwork, or I flap over EYFS questions and she doesnt think I am ready...what happens next? Do I have to wait so long before I can be visited again? Do I need to start the process again??