Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre reg safety questions

Hi,

I am expecting my pre reg visit this week. I wrote my policies and risk assessments months ago (it's been a slow process), but I'm now doubting myself and wondered if anyone had any advice.

I have stairgates up, a fire blanket, all dangerous substances out of children's reach, but I was wondering if I should do things like put locks on cupboard doors that contain craft materials (the most dangerous thing in there is bubble mix!) because children could get there fingers trapped in them? Do people use a TV strap to ensure the television cannot fall on toddlers? Table corner guards? I wonder if it's just best to err on the side of caution to make sure I am approved.

Thanks in advance.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted want to know how you will keep children safe - it's up to you how you do it.

Some childminders find it useful to crawl round and see what toddlers can touch - reach - grab - pull - climb on etc... and then make it safer

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I know my home is safe as I have a toddler but I also know from inspections in schools how petty Ofsted can be so I think I'll play it extra safe.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is up to you- I do use a stair gate but do not have any cupboard locks- I teach children not to open cupboards. I certainly do not have corner guards or anything like that. They learn to avoid corners! I do not believe in creating a padded cell... but it is completely up to you, no Ofsted inspector can tell you you have to have anything (unless actually stated in EYFS), it is whatever makes you feel confident and what you feel is necessary.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of my safety features come from risk assessing the specific children I look after.

So, I don't currently have stairgates up as I don't need them with the children I'm looking after at the moment. But then I have just fitted a few more cupboard locks as one child likes to open the doors and pull everything out. None of the other children have ever gone in the cupboards, so I've never needed locks, but I've now risked assessed that with this particular child I will need them. With your craft cupboard I wouldn't necessarily put a lock on now, but you can explain that if you took on a child who you observed trying to open the doors, you would risk assess and decide if locks were needed.

With your TV I would use a strap if there's any chance of it being knocked over. That's one risk where you wouldn't get a second chance. If there's any way it could be knocked over I would sort it now.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the advice.

I will put the TV strap on but leave the others. As you say moggy, it's our job to keep children safe but within that they have to learn about judging risks for themselves too. I'm a bit paranoid after some very picky Ofsted inspectors in school, but I think that was because they had very little knowledge of the EYFS.

Thanks again.