Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do pets need to be vaccinated?

Hi,

I live slightly rurally and although I have my horses on basic vaccinations I do not have my dogs vaccinated. Well I think they had a rabies vaccination about four years ago when I thought I may travel with them but thats about it. My questions is do I need to have them vaccinated to be a childminder? They are wormed and I treat them for fleas when necessary.

The children would have very limited supervised access to one dog unless we were all going out for a walk. The other dog is very old and frail and sleeps upstairs all day.

Thank you in advance!

sep 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, apologies if I'm wrong but I think the only thing to keep on top of is the worming and flea treatment for them, x

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgetting about CM for a moment. Isn't vaccination a responsible thing to do as a pet owner? What if you had to put them in kennels? They MUST be vaccinated if mixing with other dogs. And the Parvo virus is horrible. Don't think that being rural means they will never catch anything.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe it is an Ofsted requirement, I live in quite a rural area too so I don't get my cat vaccinated anymore as she is old and doesn't often leave our garden but I still get my dogs vaccinated as we do meet lots of other dogs when out and about.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Parvovirus is highly contagious and a really awful issue if your dog gets it, it's life threatening and at the minimum it affects the heart big time.
    It is often transmitted through faeces - so you don't even have to meet other dogs, it could be on the path where someone has walked in it or on a field... Any vet will tell you that it is a core immunisation that most responsible owners have done.

As far as childminding goes then there is no requirement but I keep my pets records in my file as I think it adds to the impression that I am a responsible caring person. I don't cut corners with my pets...I certainly wouldn't with their child.

JUN 16
    Post Thanks / Like

Im so sorry for delay in thanking you for your responses. My threads have only just started showing under my settings else i was searching for them with my name. Finally got pre reg visit this week ahhhhhhhhh.

7. Likes Ripeberry liked this post