Help please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help please

I've completed the childminding course, am now looking into the health checks, first aid etc. and am wondering if I can get a visit (official or otherwise) before shelling out around £200 on the 'extras'. Seems a lot of money if there's something wrong with the house/area or anything that will mean I just plain can't do it. And how would I go about getting such a visit? Thanks x

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You can talk to your local authority early years dept, they might be able to visit you or put you in touch with local CMers who can put your mind at ease?
    What is your situation- do you own or rent? If rent, do you have landlord's permission?
    Do you have your own children- do you feel your home is generally safe and a happy and healthy place for children to be? Do you have a secure outside space? It is not essential as you can use parks etc but if you have a garden it should be secure so children can not escape.
    You can also email any specific question to Ofsted and you might get a useful answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks moggy, I rent from the local HA, they've told me it's fine, and I do have kids, but they're 17 & 18 now, so not an issue! My garden is surrounded by a 6 foot fence on all sides, with a locked gate. I have lots of plans, I guess I just need reassurance that there're no unpleasant surprises waiting for me somewhere down the line (other than £80 for a health declaration, ouch!).

December 2007
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

This book might be worth a read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/step--throug...tration+ofsted

Good luck with everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, more questions! I know the dbs checks have to be completed for everyone over 16, but do we have to pay for every one? There's four of us! And what sort of thing will the health checks be looking for? I have high blood pressure, and take tablets to reduce migraines, will that affect the outcome? Last (for now!) but not least, I saw somewhere on here about ss checks; I had ss involved a few of times when my kids were younger, due to the house being a mess, they haven't been involved for a few years now, will that affect whether or not I can do childminding? I have no idea how to find out, or who to ask!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

You will need a DBS for each person over the age of 16. They are £54, from memory, but amount may have changed, plus you need to pay further £12 each per year for the DBS update service. This needs to be paid during the application process or within 19 days of DBS being printed.

I don't envy anyone new applying for themselves plus their families DBS's all in one go. What a huge expense?

There may be a start up grant you can apply for, I hope someone will post the details.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faysey View Post
    Sorry, more questions! I know the dbs checks have to be completed for everyone over 16, but do we have to pay for every one? There's four of us! And what sort of thing will the health checks be looking for? I have high blood pressure, and take tablets to reduce migraines, will that affect the outcome? Last (for now!) but not least, I saw somewhere on here about ss checks; I had ss involved a few of times when my kids were younger, due to the house being a mess, they haven't been involved for a few years now, will that affect whether or not I can do childminding? I have no idea how to find out, or who to ask!
    For the health and ss issues, I think it is a case of be prepared to discuss whatever they ask you- they have to make their checks but if all is fine, your health is not a risk factor to anyone and if the ss issue is closed and not relevant to your situation now then you are in a good position to have those conversations if they come up.