First parent visit this afternoon!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First parent visit this afternoon!

I've got my first set of parents visiting at 3pm (only arranged an hour ago) any last minute tips as I'm feeling quite nervous as I blitz the house!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My top tip is to remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.
    Ask questions- where do they work, have they used childcare before, have they left the child with other people before, what is child's routine roughly... get a feeling for what the whole family is like, can you work with them, do you like them? Make sure you are clear on hours/days/termtime or all year, short term/ad-hoc or long term etc
    I do not get bogged down in policies at first visit- I say I can send them over by email for them to read.
    Never give an answer about offering them a place- just say you will have a think and get back to them. Always sleep on it!
    Email afterwards saying how nice to meet them/child, ask them if any other questions, ask if they want a 2nd visit, send any documents like policies/fees info if they want to read them.

Good luck and relax!

3. Likes Sammy Jo T, Hoopster liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    My top tip is to remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.
    Ask questions- where do they work, have they used childcare before, have they left the child with other people before, what is child's routine roughly... get a feeling for what the whole family is like, can you work with them, do you like them? Make sure you are clear on hours/days/termtime or all year, short term/ad-hoc or long term etc
    I do not get bogged down in policies at first visit- I say I can send them over by email for them to read.
    Never give an answer about offering them a place- just say you will have a think and get back to them. Always sleep on it!
    Email afterwards saying how nice to meet them/child, ask them if any other questions, ask if they want a 2nd visit, send any documents like policies/fees info if they want to read them.

Good luck and relax!
    Thank you Moggy for all your advice! I'm so nervous they are going to ask me something and my mind will go blank. They have two children so could potentially be a good contract if the hours are good.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree with all moggy's said. Also, if they ask something you're not sure about don't feel you have to agree. 'Let me get back to you on that one' or 'I'll have to think about it' e.g. If they want to negotiate fees. Be careful about agreeing to something you may regret later just to get the contract. Good luck. Come and report back!

6. Likes Sammy Jo T liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Agree with all moggy's said. Also, if they ask something you're not sure about don't feel you have to agree. 'Let me get back to you on that one' or 'I'll have to think about it' e.g. If they want to negotiate fees. Be careful about agreeing to something you may regret later just to get the contract. Good luck. Come and report back!
    Thank you! I will do! Currently getting my husband to fire questions at me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Jo T View Post
    Thank you! I will do! Currently getting my husband to fire questions at me!
    Good luck sanmyjo, let me know how it goes :-) X

9. Likes Sammy Jo T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say good luck :-)

11. Likes Sammy Jo T liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! I think it went ok. They're only looking for about two days a week but it's two full days for both children so although it would fill both EYFS spaces I have spare it would leave me 3 full days which is easier than odd hours every day I've previously getting enquiries for.

I'm the first person they've seen but they didn't seem off I'm new to it and said "everyone has to start somewhere" which was nice. Their oldest child is only a month younger than my daughter which is nice.

They seemed a nice family so fingers crossed!

Thanks again for the advice and good luck wishes x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on surviving a first visit - I like to send parents a text the next day (in your case wait until Monday), thanking them for coming and telling them to contact me if they have any further questions or would like to visit to again. Hope they choose you, it's so much easier to fill spaces after you have mindees.

14. Likes Sammy Jo T liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Well done on surviving a first visit - I like to send parents a text the next day (in your case wait until Monday), thanking them for coming and telling them to contact me if they have any further questions or would like to visit to again. Hope they choose you, it's so much easier to fill spaces after you have mindees.
    Thank you! Yes I guess it must be as people must feel more reassured if other patents have chosen you. I'm well prepared for the fact it could take a while to get business but it does make you feel pressured when everyone you meet asks if you have mindees yet!

16. Likes Ellisha liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Did they get back to you?
    I will be so nervous for my first parents meeting !

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
    Did they get back to you?
    I will be so nervous for my first parents meeting !
    Yes they came back to me the other day. They don't need care until June amd said they will contact me closer to the time to arrange another visit so we'll see. I was so nervous too. I think I will be for them all lol!