Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: £80.00!!!!

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default £80.00!!!!

Im shocked at how much I have just had to pay my doctors to fill in my health declaration form (£80.00). Is this around the usual price that anybody else has had to pay?

This is turning into a very expensive set up. Its cost me £190 for the childminding course, £162.00 for 3 DBS's, £75.00 for my First aid course, and now £80 for the health declaration form. I will have to pay £39.00 for the DBS update service and £35.00 when I apply to Ofsted, in total £581 and that's without any resources and safety equipment OMG!! The only good thing is that I can apply for the £500 grant and hope I get that, that's if Ofsted register me of course, if they don't then I have lost a lot of money. I already have business use on my car insurance so that's a bonus I suppose.

Sorry for babbling on but just needed to get it off my chest.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda70 View Post
    Im shocked at how much I have just had to pay my doctors to fill in my health declaration form (£80.00). Is this around the usual price that anybody else has had to pay?

This is turning into a very expensive set up. Its cost me £190 for the childminding course, £162.00 for 3 DBS's, £75.00 for my First aid course, and now £80 for the health declaration form. I will have to pay £39.00 for the DBS update service and £35.00 when I apply to Ofsted, in total £581 and that's without any resources and safety equipment OMG!! The only good thing is that I can apply for the £500 grant and hope I get that, that's if Ofsted register me of course, if they don't then I have lost a lot of money. I already have business use on my car insurance so that's a bonus I suppose.

Doctors can charge what they like and I have heard of people paying £150 for it! Don't forget to save all your receipts as they can go through your accounts as start-up costs when you actually start minding

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    Doctors can charge what they like and I have heard of people paying £150 for it! Don't forget to save all your receipts as they can go through your accounts as start-up costs when you actually start minding
    I was under the impression that doctors are limited as to what they can charge for the CMs' health declaration form, but that the limit was pretty high and had actually encouraged most doctors to charge more than previously.

When I was registering, I mentioned to another CM in the village that I'd paid close to £100, and it worked out at about £5 per word for what they'd written on the form. She laughed darkly and said I had NCMA to thank for that. The vast majority of GPs used to do it for a nominal £10-£20: hers had done it for nothing. Then NCM stuck their oar in and "campaigned" for a limit because a tiny handful of GPs were charging a lot more. A limit was duly agreed and practice managers the length and breadth of the UK suddenly realised how much more they could get away with charging, so we all suffered.

It does seem a lot, but tbf it's a pittance next to most small businesses, and we don't even have to consider business premises and rent.

My friend runs a small business making hobby items from home. Any CM could be fully up and running for less thanhalf what it cost him to convert his loft into a workspace, never mind the fact that the cheapest piece of essential (second hand) equipment he had to buy was close to £1000.

You can easily be set up for less than £1000, especially with a £500 grant. Most bank managers would fall off their swivel-chairs if asked for anything less than £5k to set up a small business.

4. Likes Ripeberry, rickysmiths liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda70 View Post

There's also £15 for the data handling thingy. Do check that you have the correct business insurance, as although you have business, we are not going to and from our place of work, but driving is our business, if you see that I mean.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    There's also £15 for the data handling thingy.
    If you mean the ICO data handling thingy (Information Commissioners Office) it's £35 not £15

You also don't need to register until you are actually registered, and it is of course, a legitimate annual business expense

Post Thanks / Like

It cost me £300 for local authority courses £75 for drs thing DBS £56 each x2 then OFSTED reg ins and first aid kit and contracts attendance registers account books pushchairs toys etc all on top it cost me just short of £1500 to set up and the grant was only £250 for me at the time.