Hello!  I'm thinking of becoming a childminder and have a question.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello! I'm thinking of becoming a childminder and have a question.

Hello my name is Rebecca. This is my first post, so I apologise if I've put it in the wrong place!

I'm currently on maternity leave with my second son and I have been thinking of retraining as a childminder. One initial question I'm hoping someone can answer...my husband is likely to be working from home permanently in the not too distant future. Would this affect my ability to childmind? I know he would need to have his own DBS check and I expect Ofsted would need to assess this as well. He would be working upstairs away from the children, but will inevitably come into contact with them when using the kitchen etc.

Your advice is appreciated.

Rebecca

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is fine to have husband about, can be very helpful too- depending on the husband! But if he does not want to 'help' then just the DBS he needs anyway is fine.

I actually registered my husband as my assistant as he was around a lot when I first registered- I thought it might just help make parents feel more at ease about him being around and make it more 'acceptable' that he helps out with the children, come on days out with us, is with mindees alone in a room without me in the same room, plays with them, reads them stories on the sofa, helps with their meals, carries little ones about etc etc.

He does not have the paediatric first aid so I am always on the premises, or with mindees when we are out of the house.

He has a full time job away from the house now but still gets involved when he is here.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's fine. My husband now works from home too. x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My husband is retired so around all the time, ofsted inspectors have not discussed him - but I do call him my chef/ secretary and caretaker as he does lots of jobs around my business.

Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies. That's put my mind at rest on that issue. I've now had confirmation from my local authority that they no longer provide pre-registration courses so need to look elsewhere! They have provided me with details of Pacey and Trio.

Thanks again.

May 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding.
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree it is fine but warn your husband it can get noisy at times! Good luck with your future business.

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    prospective childmin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck setting up!
    A friend of mine has her husband registered as her assistant so he can help when he's working from home and she doesn't need to be worried about leaving the children alone with him They are always very excited to see him!