Small house
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Small house

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small house

I have just sent off my application to ofsted. I'd like others opinions on whether you think it's possible to childmind from a small home with no playroom? I have a big garden with lots of toys but my living room and kitchen aren't huge. I have a bookcase full of books and other toys and an Ikea unit with 4 boxes full of toys.a dressing up/role play box and few other little things. All the childminders I know have playrooms and can kind of create a mini nursery which is lovely but I just don't have the space. Does anyone think this would really go against me ? I do t know of I'm worrying over nothing !?

Registered Childminder since
    Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dont worry. I live in a flat with no garden.
    My lounge is where i mind from and bedroom doors lead off from there. I have one baby toy box out all the time. Small table and chairs with mark making stuff on. Then some ikea drawer storage with toys in. My boys room is a no go area, but i do store toys in there and take them out and rotate.
    I make good use of library, toy library and get out most days to groups and parks.
    It os workablr, just got to be super organised abd plan your week -where to go, things to do etc so not stuck in or will go mad!
    You can makr really good uae of your garden.
    Just need to tell parents that you get out and about and are not in every day. It will be fine good luck.

3. Likes TabbyTuTu liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of in the same boat. My house isn't titchy small, but I don't have a separate room to use, and I don't have lots of space to store toys. I'm looking to keeping toys to a bare minimum - it's hard to know what I'll really need.

I also plan to be out a lot! It is how I do things with my own kids anyway.

My garage is going to be my store room, with toys in plastic boxes, which I will select from and bring in to the house on the morning and (in theory) tidy back away each night.

Currently I'm concerned I don't have enough stuff to keep older children (before and after school) amused, I don't want to resort to tv and computer too much.

Good luck!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in a 3 bed mid-terrace, and have 3 children of my own so the house is pretty full even before you add 3 toddlers! There's a sitting room and kitchen diner downstairs - neither is huge but they are light and airy. It's a small city garden, but there are 2 playgrounds within 5 minutes walk which helps. The mindees seem to spend their days here happily though

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I've found with having a small house and only having the lounge/diner to use for everything is I have changed when I dry my washing. I can't use my indoor washing airer when I'm minding as it takes up too much space. So when its wet I tumble anything which will tumble and the rest goes out on the airer over night and then spread over upstairs radiators in the morning.

I think minding in a small space makes you really think about what you need and how you store stuff- both for minding and your family.

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    It's great if you've got loads of space but not everyone has so don't worry about it. It's your care of the children that's important, you can still provide an 'enabling environment' whatever your space!
    Good luck!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Childcare happens in all sorts of buildings - from beautiful purpose built nurseries to run down church halls where you have to pack everything away each night. It's what you do with the space that counts. I live in a first floor flat and don't have a playroom. Good luck. x

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    July 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, its what you do with your resources that counts!

I live in a small house and don't have a separate playroom, it's taken a while to short out what I REALLY need and what I'm hoarding!
    I store childminding toys in the loft and rotate toy boxes every few weeks or so, it works very well and having a small house has made me stop buying more from the charity shop/boot sale. I have everything I need, just not TONS of it. I also have a covered patio area which helps as I store some bits out there-great for putting clothes driers out too

FF

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the washing! I don't have a tumble dryer, so have to have a big clothes airer up in the bedroom. I'm saving for a 'roof' for the patio - mainly for the mindees to play under, but also to help dry clothes!

12. Likes Lal liked this post
    July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in a static caravan so have a very small space for childminding but as long as you're organised it works fine, and make great use of outside space

14. Likes Maza, Sammy Jo T, FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lu 2010 View Post
    I live in a static caravan so have a very small space for childminding but as long as you're organised it works fine, and make great use of outside space
    Lu,

I'm so glad I read you post as I was wondering if Ofsted allow childminding from caravans. We've just built a house but will be looking to build again next year and I was worried about having to take a break from childminding. (Crrently pre-reg but planning ahead ) If we're allowed to childmind from caravans that will be perfect.

Was there anything particular Ofsted stipulate on or is it treated the same way as any other residential property?

PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been worrying that a lack of play room will go against me but these posts are reassuring. My lounge/diner is 17ft by 14ft so not a bad size at all but with my 2 medium sized sofa's, dining table & 6 chairs, 2 book cases and tv unit I'm left with about 6 square metres of free space. I have an almost 6yr old and almost 4yr old of my own and once they are included in the ratios i'm worried they won't allow me 2 young full timers which i'd like.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I have acknowledge is
    That Ofsted does not care if your space is small or large
    As long as it is safe and an enabling environment which challenges children learning. The rest is just you.
    So don't stress yourself. I have heard of childminders in high rise building still making a living.