Pre registration visit
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre registration visit

Please can someone tell me what happens at these? Thank you :-)

Registered Childminder since
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello mumofone

At my pre-reg visit we went through my answers on the pre reg handbook (which she was happy for me to refer to), checked certificates for dBs, cypop5, first aid and pli and did a tour of the rooms I wanted to register. A thorough look at the safeguarding procedure too.

She was very nice and gave lots of pointers along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Elkie Sorry what is pli?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Thanks Elkie Sorry what is pli?
    PLI- Public Liability Insurance, but I thought you needed to be registered to get it? Elkie- did you actually take out the insurance before pre-reg visit, or just have all the details ready to purchase insurance once you got certificate? Some say there is no point purchasing any CM insurance until you have certificate as the MIGHT not actually register you and then it is money wasted.

Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

My inspector made me purchase it before she left that day. She said it was a condition of registration.

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I second what Moggy has said!! Why would you purchase the insurance prior to Ofsted issuing the certificate? I have had recent discussions re this with both an Ofsted Early Years Inpector and LA Dev Officer and they both advised to wait until the certificate is issued!!

7. Likes moggy liked this post
    Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

I only purchased on the day as I was told to. she was happy to wait while I did it, so I wouldn't purchase until the meeting and then only get if needed

9. Likes moggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im stuck with the pre registration preparation handbook - can anyone help me please?!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im stuck with the pre registration preparation handbook - can anyone help me please?!
    Which question?

Post Thanks / Like

This will sound really bad but all of them do be honest! Do you know the ones I mean? I'm new to all of this and really don't know too much!

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi,
    I didn't start filling in the answers until I had done my training (CYPOP & Local Authority) and done lots of research. Also, reading this forum is fantastic research as everyone is so informative and supportive. If you don't mind me saying, if you have only just started you are perhaps filling in the booklet before you have done your research. Hope you don't think I'm being bossy saying that!! Once, you've done your research you will find it far easier to complete each answer.
    Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CSR no I welcome any thoughts and advice as I'm new to all of this. I have done everything though and am just waiting on my crab check to complete the process before I can register. But even through my course I'm still not clear on how I would do a 2 year olds progress check or really what the right kind of activities for each age range are or exactly how i should be observing and documenting as this wasn't taught On my course..

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CSR no I welcome any thoughts and advice as I'm new to all of this. I have done everything though and am just waiting on my crab check to complete the process before I can register. But even through my course I'm still not clear on how I would do a 2 year olds progress check or really what the right kind of activities for each age range are or exactly how i should be observing and documenting as this wasn't taught On my course..
    This might help with the documenting and 2yr progress check (the 2yr check is just a progress review, I do one every term although it is not a requirement to do any other than the one at 24-36mths).

Summary Assessments

Nov2014
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi,
    I would agree that the Local Authority training is very basic!!
    If you are still waiting for your DBS check to come back then you still have a little while to prepare for the pre-reg visit. I tried to split this into 3 areas:
    Paperwork - policies and procedures/risk assessments etc
    House - get it as safe and secure as you possibly can (and also a great environment for children)!
    Self - revise eyfs/safeguarding/learning and development areas etc
    The forum helped me with each of these areas because I did 'searches' on any queries I had. Others were once pre-reg too and had the same queries!!
    Try to do a little bit each day and try not to get overwhelmed by it all. Childcare and development is a massive area and I try to think of it as though I am just starting out on my journey of discovery!! Others on here have been on the journey for many years and so have a wealth of experience and knowledge. So too will we one day, I hope!!
    Good luck!!

Apr,14
    Post Thanks / Like

Development matters might give you some hints for activites... Good lyck

Post Thanks / Like

Hi elkie, could you help me with the answers for the questions posed in the pre reg handbook by any chance? Am really struggling!

Post Thanks / Like

these are the questions im struggling with - any help from you experts is appreciated! :-)) x

#1 - for each of the 7 areas of learning and development give an example of a play activity for a very young child and a four year old that would support their learning and development

#4 what will you do to ensure the children are ready for school

#7 how will you know that children are progressing in their learning and development and how will you use this knowledge to plan for their further development

#9 what arrangements will you put in place to develop and provide a written assessment of childrens progress between the ages of two and three

#10 what sources of help might you find for children who were not developing in line with expectations?

#12 how will you ensure children are never left alone with adults who have not been cleared/vetted , such as visitors to your setting/home.

#16 how will you assess risks and keep children safe when they are away from your premises, for example on outings

#17 how woul you ensure your ratios are maintained

#18 how will you make sure you meet the space requirements? how will you take into account the needs of children with special needs such as a physical disability?

#20 what sort of things shoudl be notified to OFSTED

Post Thanks / Like

Number 7 I would just put about how you would do observations on the children while doing a certain activity and use your EYFS to see if they are meeting the right stage of their development for their age.x

Post Thanks / Like

Number 20..any changes you make in terms of phone number,moving house,change of surname,any child protection issues,if a child as an accident that is serious enough for ofsted to be informed.