Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New children starting - what to do?!

I'm starting childminding in September and have 2 children signed up...1 year old and 3 year old siblings. Now I'm expecting for the first couple of weeks (they are coming for 3 days a week - 6 hours a time) they will just be settling in. Should I plan to do anything in particular? I guess if it's nice we'll go to the local park and in the garden, but should I do activities?

Also, at the moment I have toys which are in boxes/units in my playroom (smaller bits are higher up on shelves/in tubs) but nothing is labelled and the toys aren't sectioned as such. Should they be? I have all my arts/crafts in one area, and the more baby items are together but otherwise it's just all in boxes.

I keep thinking about sorting them out but it hurts my head to think about it...plus I imagine they will undo it every day...

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I started with 1 &3 year old siblings too, only 1 day a week for 9 hours.
    I planned an outing eaxh time to usual toddler group etc I go to normally so I know the place already as I found getting out distracted them from being upset. Also went to local playground and walks and let them play with what they choose. I asked favourite toys on all about me forms and had those out first few times then let them lead.
    Once more settled I started to plan activities like painting etc but was no point first couple of days and they were more than happy to explore all the toys!

3. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thank you. I've met them twice and they're really friendly and easy going (the little one wanting cuddles straight away). The parents don't want settling in days, so it's straight in at the deep end. I'm sure they'll be fine just exploring the place really, but I just wanted to see what other people would do.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do a settling in period but this is more of a guided by them sessions when they do what they enjoy and go from there so to establish trust and relationship. This way you will also know where they are with there development x

6. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    Mar 14
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I am on my 2nd full day with 3 year old, she is suppose to be 12-6 but the nan normally has her in the morning so away, so for this week only I got her 8-6, its a long day, my own child is 20 months, old and doesn't understand playing and goes over and knocks her bricks or messes with her toy she is playing, at the moment just had dinner so tv time of peppa pig, and the Gardner is in the garden ,then at 2pm I got 2 older boys so going to the park, its hard work entertaining then...

Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by covgalxxx View Post
    I am on my 2nd full day with 3 year old, she is suppose to be 12-6 but the nan normally has her in the morning so away, so for this week only I got her 8-6, its a long day, my own child is 20 months, old and doesn't understand playing and goes over and knocks her bricks or messes with her toy she is playing, at the moment just had dinner so tv time of peppa pig, and the Gardner is in the garden ,then at 2pm I got 2 older boys so going to the park, its hard work entertaining then...
    Oh bless you, that sounds like a hard day! Thankfully mine are older (9 and 11) so will be at school mostly while I'm working. My daughter can't wait as she wants to help looking after the little ones. Enjoy your day!