Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many of you work term time only?

I'm due to start childminding in September (eeek!) and I have 2 children signed up who are term time only. To be honest they are perfect for me to start with - aged 1 and 3...3 days a week and term time.

I have a meeting with my DO on Wednesday to talk about the funded places....but basically I'm wondering whether I could stick to term time only? It would really suit me as obviously it wouldn't impact on my children (I've always been self employed so up to now have never worked in holidays).

I just wondered how many of you successfully work term time?

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

After 25+ years of minding I nearly got to term time only with only 2 mindees who came as babies and now go to school , but not my local school, but needs must and now it's creeping up to all year round again arghh! however I have just started offering the funded places and as they only cover 38 weeks of the year
    you may only need to work term time as parents may not want (or be able ) to afford all year childcare. Saying that though you can stretch the funding to cover all year, just get less each week/month as it's spread over more weeks. I would prefer term time only but finances won't allow.

3. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I only work term time, mon - thurs. Parents are aware of this before signing up and tbh it's never been a problem. Most of my parents have older children that don't come to me so a parent or someone else always has to be around for holidays anyway.

And the families that don't have other children usually have plenty of family or friends who will help out in holidays.

I will occasionally work the odd day here and there during holidays but it's always on my terms and I make it clear it's not to be a regular thing. I'm working today as it's the last day with me for one LO so we've had a lovely day doing all her choices (currently at soft play!)

5. Likes Ripeberry, Maza, NinkyNonk liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been very lucky. In 24 years of childminding, I've only ever worked had one family during the school holidays and that was only for a year, 2 days a week. All the rest have been term time only. The last 11 years I've had teachers children and they have never sent the kids to me during the holidays.

My kids are now grown up and flying the nest, but I still love having the holidays off. The downside is, I find it very difficult to go away during term time, even for a day or two.
    littletreasures xx

7. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm term-time only and wish to keep it that way! It sounds like hell having even more kids during the holidays. My own would be mortified!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

9. Likes Maza, NinkyNonk liked this post
    Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it might be worth me trying to stay term time...I'm more than happy to stick with my 2, at least to start with and once they're settled I could maybe bring the funding in.

Thanks all.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I work longish hours at full capacity 3 days a week term time but only have 1 school child 1 day a week in the holidays so barely feels like I'm working. It's heaven & I'd happily keep working at this pace but can't afford so much time off so just taken on a year round pre-schooler who will be doing 2 days a week.

I couldn't go back to working FT in the holidays though. My kids hated it & I found it very restrictive for visiting friends & family and doing things to suit younger mindees & older DC (ie cinema, swimming etc)

12. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    Apr 99
    Post Thanks / Like

I have worked term time only for last 13 years. I've had 11 children from age 4 - 9 this year spread over a working week- all attending the same school. Some days 6, some days 2. Some parents are teachers, some have other arrangements with family members and clubs. I don't charge for holidays as I am not offering the service. It has been great to spend uninterrupted time with my own family.
    Last edited by gwm; 29-07-2014 at 04:16 PM.

14. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My goal is to become TTO in 2 years, I just need to clear some debt first. This is the first year I have worked the big holidays and I'm not enjoying it and feel housebound. I am expecting to lose a couple of kids when I change over but once iv got term timers I will be relieved. I have four of my own and feel they need a break too from other peoples kids.

16. Likes NinkyNonk liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My plan is to become term time only. I started childminding in order to be around for my children but often they get overlooked as I am so busy!

I currently have a number of children who will be 3 years and they may all head to nursery next year (even though I often the funded hours!).

We have also been asked to look after a couple of sibling babies, but to apart from that I am not going to take on anyone other than term time only.

I work with my husband so we might need to think about 1 of us working in the holidays and taking turns looking after our children. Going to be a year or two until we get completely term time only. I find this job so exhausting that making it term time only will make it more sustainable over the long term.

This summer we have been taking in young foreign students to bump up the summer money which seems to work well. :-)

Sept 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cockatoos View Post
    My plan is to become term time only. I started childminding in order to be around for my children but often they get overlooked as I am so busy!

I currently have a number of children who will be 3 years and they may all head to nursery next year (even though I often the funded hours!).

We have also been asked to look after a couple of sibling babies, but to apart from that I am not going to take on anyone other than term time only.

I work with my husband so we might need to think about 1 of us working in the holidays and taking turns looking after our children. Going to be a year or two until we get completely term time only. I find this job so exhausting that making it term time only will make it more sustainable over the long term.

This summer we have been taking in young foreign students to bump up the summer money which seems to work well. :-)

I've been working towards this for a couple of years too and this month is the month I am going to make the break!
    It will only affect 2 of my part timers and I'm preparing myself for the fact that they may move on.
    I'm letting everyone know that as of September I will be term time only.
    Not sure how to start my letter, eek!

Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, sounds like some of you really have it sorted! I think I might start off with my 2 in September and look at offering the funded hours. Hopefully I'll get some enquiries there if I offer term time only. I'm not looking to be madly busy as I'm also doing my level 3.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JulieH View Post
    I'm due to start childminding in September (eeek!) and I have 2 children signed up who are term time only. To be honest they are perfect for me to start with - aged 1 and 3...3 days a week and term time.

I have a meeting with my DO on Wednesday to talk about the funded places....but basically I'm wondering whether I could stick to term time only? It would really suit me as obviously it wouldn't impact on my children (I've always been self employed so up to now have never worked in holidays).

I just wondered how many of you successfully work term time?

Good Luck at your DO turning up I'm still waiting since May for mine to turn up to discuss funded places I'm the same as you would love to be tto as want to spend quality time with my own in holidays.

Aug 14
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    Good Luck at your DO turning up I'm still waiting since May for mine to turn up to discuss funded places I'm the same as you would love to be tto as want to spend quality time with my own in holidays.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good! Luckily mine is great, she only lives round the corner and has been in touch loads. We went through the forms together for the funded places.

22. Likes mum67 liked this post