Setting up
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Setting up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setting up

Hi,

We currently live in Surrey, however we are planning on moving away due to house prices and so I can bring up our 13 month old daughter, Eden.

Anyway, I have always wanted to childmind so I think this is what I'm going to do. I have looked into it a lot but will want to get set up ASAP when I get up there. Am I able to apply for our DBS anytime or can I only do this for childminding if I've attended a course or in the process of registering? It appears the DBS takes a while so I was thinking if I could get this done its one less thing to worry about!

Tour help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmyWatty View Post
    Hi,

We currently live in Surrey, however we are planning on moving away due to house prices and so I can bring up our 13 month old daughter, Eden.

Anyway, I have always wanted to childmind so I think this is what I'm going to do. I have looked into it a lot but will want to get set up ASAP when I get up there. Am I able to apply for our DBS anytime or can I only do this for childminding if I've attended a course or in the process of registering? It appears the DBS takes a while so I was thinking if I could get this done its one less thing to worry about!

Tour help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
    I would not do anything that involves costs until you have attended the Local Authority free intro session for those interested in being a CMer, in the new area you are living. There is a lot to consider, the demand in the place you are living, competition from other services, what kind of house/flat you are living in etc., when you are actually going to be moved and set up ready etc

I don't think getting a DBS done way ahead of time is going to help much in terms of time. You could start researching what course the LA is going to require you to do (CYPOP5 or other?) and see how/where you are going to do that. Start researching the area you are moving too- check out demand, look on childcare.co.uk for that area, find out average CM fees, what school clubs are there (your competition). Start looking at your business plan- cost to set up and what income you need to generate, how many/ages/hours of children you will need to care for or you want to care for.

You can get the DBS happening while you study for the CYPOP5 course (or whatever the LA demand) and while the medical declaration is being done.

Good luck with it all.

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi im in pre-reg and I agree with moggy first attend your local authority CM course (mine took 5 weeks and a cost of £100). then there is paediatric first aid cost (£90) DBS for every adult in your home (£52.10 each) your medical assessment by the doctor (mine £87). Then you need ICO membership + insurance (I haven't completed these so don't know how much i paid). Look at other CM in your area to see if this is a finical viability for yourself in your new area, as different areas have different prices and competition.

Just a note on the DBS i just checked mine and it took 10days to complete and its going to be with me next week. Doctors medical can take a few weeks as well as this is a 'private' thing and not done on the NHS.
    Also you need to write policies, procedures and risk assessments.

You probably may know all of this but just in case you don't. Main point is LA course this is the main thing and study the EYFS! baring in mind it changes in Sept.