Just had my pre-reg visit- 9 months after first starting the process!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just had my pre-reg visit- 9 months after first starting the process!!

Well, the inspector left an hour ago so I'm going to post about this now before I forget anything as I know people find these useful!

The inspector called me last Thursday to arrange a day and said she would be here after 1pm. I figured I'd have an early lunch with my boy and was half way through when she came at 12:05!!! She was very lovely though and told me to take my time and finish our lunch as she needed to get organised anyway. She was here for nearly three and a half hours! (Although it didn't feel that long really). The first thing she did was check all of my ID (marriage cert, passport, DBS etc). She then went through my certificates (think she had a checklist on her laptop and was just working through that so not too bad), first aid, safeguarding, childminder course. She then wanted to see my teaching qualifications and degree certificates. This took about half an hour. She then went through the other paperwork stuff, noting certain policies and procedures and I just said "yes" and opened my file at the right page- she didn't read through any of them or skim read them and seemed quite happy with my acknowledgement of them. One thing I do need to do is add a paragraph about bullying onto my behaviour and biting policies. She asked if I had a paper copy of statutory EYFS curriculum, development matters and Know How guide. Fire drills, complaints book, visitors book and other paperwork (My QI officer leant me the NCMA box with attendance records, child records, contracts, accident and incident forms etc.- the box was on my windowsill and the inspector was happy and said "I assume you'll be using all the paperwork in there so you'll have attendance etc.") permission forms etc. This all took about 45 mins.

She spent about 10 minutes going through my history and experience and another 10-15 minutes looking at why I had left teaching and my medical history. My doctor (after charging me £100 for two sentences) hadn't written very legibly and so Ofsted had asked the inspector to question what URS was (should have been Work Related Stress) and so a few things on my medical form had ended up looking like seperate things but actually were all from that one work place (being off sick, being referred to occ health etc). She said that it made much more sense and as a past teacher she knew exactly that there were a LOT of schools like that, shouldn't affect the decision at all as there's not been several episodes.

We looked at risk assessments for around 10 minutes. Again she didn't read my assessments, she was happy that I had them to hand and I rattled off some key points to show I knew it well, mainly what I'd changed specifically for childminding or since starting my documents e.g. replacing my old decking, keeping alcohol out of view, removing toiletries from bathroom etc. and my outings one showing one I'd printed off from a local museum as well as my general outings one.

We spent about 20 minutes going round the house looking at the rooms to be registered, not in huge detail really checking my blind cords were really secure, window locks. She didn't go into my garden although you can see all the back garden from my conservatory and she said that it's an ideal set up, I guess she'd have asked more questions if she'd been concerned. She did say I need to cover my outside tap in case a child fell on it.

We spent around 30 minutes then talking about the learning and development. She asked about what local opportunities there were about, if I'd made any links with local childminders, how I would work with other settings, how I would cover diversity, how I would show next steps, using all about me and baseline assessments, involving parents with baseline assessment. She said she wouldnt go into the safeguarding and activities bit too much with me coming from early years teaching as I had obviously practised that.

The remainder of the time was dotted about seeing to my son who was very well behaved today actually, although a bit hyper and in full on entertaining mode with a stranger about!

She has told me she is recommending that I meet the criteria for childminding but Ofsted will make the decision based on everything, she can't see me having any problems, wished me well and suggested I consider in a few years becoming an Ofsted inspector freelance to get to go round different settings! lol (I'd remarked how varied and interesting it must be getting to look round sooooo many places). Because of the bank holiday she has said I won't get my certificate next week it will be the week after :-( but hoping this means I will be crossing over to "registered" vv soon!

Hope this helps anyone waiting on inspection. I have to say I wasn't nervous as I'd been waiting months to get to this stage, if I wasn't prepared by today I was never going to be! (NB A graded inspection will be very different lol. I will no doubt be a wreck haha). She did tell me when it comes to my graded inspection to just make sure I had really good paperwork particularly the learning journeys because the more the inspector can find out just from reading those, the less of a grilling they have to give you to get the information they need. So you can then focus on the children and hardly speak to them Good luck to anyone waiting!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done! Hope the certificate comes really soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done! I bet you're so glad you've finally had your visit! Thank-you so much for the feedback, I've found this really helpful! Xx

Post Thanks / Like

Well Done I'm so pleased for you xx

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations....
    Thanks for the feedback too

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Post Thanks / Like

yeah,well done congratulation...

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations and glad it went well for you!! I'm pre reg so your feedback is really appreciated thank you x

aug 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent news, well done!

Thanks for this info, all v helpful x

Post Thanks / Like

thank you. just cant wait to be able to advertise. most of the parents I had interested have had to go elsewhere with it taking so long :-( my others apart from one aren't starting til September and to be honest having no income for 5 extra months has sucked :-/ looking forward to being able to eat again :-) lol. plus my little boy is getting sick to death of just having me for company lol. he used to love nursery before I took him out at Christmas- think the novelty has worn well and truly off for him now lol.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats sounds like it was a really positive experience for you.
    Thank you for the good account of what happened. I will be saving this to look back over.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

well done and thank you so much for taking the time to provide the feedback, it is very useful for me as mine is on Friday!! xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wee_elf View Post
    well done and thank you so much for taking the time to provide the feedback, it is very useful for me as mine is on Friday!! xx
    Good luck for Friday x

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Good luck for Friday x
    Ditto

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Post Thanks / Like

ahhhhh good luck!!!! Well after stressing over the length of the process and being desperate to get registered so I can begin work I now have no parents lined up until september had one who "definitely" wanted to start asap but messed me round something chronic with diary dates and now has gone AWOL (So in hindsight perhaps a lucky escape) but also 4 others who have gone elsewhere in the last couple of months. *sigh* with jobseekers running out in two weeks I'm almost feeling a complete anticlimax. Should be celebrating when my certificate comes through but instead I'm worried I'll be regretting leaving the stress-house of teaching and worrying about mortgage payments etc. supposed to be on belated honeymoon in 10 weeks and have absolutely no spending money whatsoever for my once in a lifetime trip and had been hoping to at least get a couple of months wages in. Not to be it seems. Just when you think the frustration will end.....

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't panic, I know it depends on area and demand but since I was able to say I was registered my business took off, I'm now as full as I wish to be. It was childcare.co.uk that has worked for me. I look at all profiles in the locality and get in touch with everyone that is the right fit for me and it's worked really well, definitely worth paying for Gold even if just a month. Good luck I have my fingers crossed for you xx

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations

Post Thanks / Like

I (cheekily) placed an advert on childcare.co.uk a couple of days ago and just had a lovely mum visit me this afternoon wanting me to have her son through summer holidays for a couple of weeks and then schools pick ups/drop offs every day from Sept!!!! Rang Ofsted just now to chase/pester/mither/nag/rant at and......... ALL HAS BEEN APPROVED!! MY CERTIFICATE HAS BEEN PRINTED!!!!!Waaaaaaahhh! I DID IT!!! I'm an ofsted registered childminder. Only those who have experienced the endless, wrenching waiting that is the registration process could possibly imagine how I'm feeling right now... so I had to come on here to find such like minded peeps! Thank you all sooo sooo much for listening to my ranting for what feels like an eternity- it's been a rollercoaster but knowing I'm not the only one has kept me a little more sane Good luck to anyone still waiting. Have fun chasing, chasing, chasing!! xx

18. Likes danemi1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannes View Post
    I (cheekily) placed an advert on childcare.co.uk a couple of days ago and just had a lovely mum visit me this afternoon wanting me to have her son through summer holidays for a couple of weeks and then schools pick ups/drop offs every day from Sept!!!! Rang Ofsted just now to chase/pester/mither/nag/rant at and......... ALL HAS BEEN APPROVED!! MY CERTIFICATE HAS BEEN PRINTED!!!!!Waaaaaaahhh! I DID IT!!! I'm an ofsted registered childminder. Only those who have experienced the endless, wrenching waiting that is the registration process could possibly imagine how I'm feeling right now... so I had to come on here to find such like minded peeps! Thank you all sooo sooo much for listening to my ranting for what feels like an eternity- it's been a rollercoaster but knowing I'm not the only one has kept me a little more sane Good luck to anyone still waiting. Have fun chasing, chasing, chasing!! xx
    That's fantastic news! It's made me feel more positive about my application, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Good luck with your new business xx

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! It's been a loooonnnggg struggle BUT once my certificate comes through I can get my funding and I've finished all my paperwork for the jobseekers allowance enterprise scheme so can get off jobseekers finally. Also means I can buy my son some flipping clothes in a couple of weeks and have some spending money for our VERY belated honeymoon in August without having to worry about the mortgage :-D Still, all beats teaching :-p definitely light at the end of the tunnel, just more a Eurotunnel than a Mersey tunnel :-/

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well done ... and this is just the start.

best wishes for the future xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast