Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Start up Grant

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Start up Grant

I applied for the £250 start up grant a while ago but have been waiting ages for Ofsted to register me. Now I'm finally registered I can at last receive it. I checked with them and although it was supposed to finish in March, It's been extended. Can I put the £250 towards my costs from last march/April when I did my first aid and LA course, or can it not be backdated like that? I've got loads to buy still so no doubt I will spend that in the coming months, just wondered how far start up costs can be counted?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I can't help as I am in the same boat but would love to hear other peoples thoughts

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Stupidly I didn't apply for the £250 start up grant but are you talking about whether you can offset your start up costs against your tax ?

4. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read it's completely separate to offsetting the tax - they'll want to see evidence at a later date as to how the £250 was spent but whether I can use my start up costs from a year prior to receiving the grant. I hope that makes sense!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do you applie for the grant?x

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

If you google 'childcare business grants' (sorry can't do links on my phone) that will bring it up. You can apply online then as soon as you are in possession of your registration certificate you email them a copy. You need to put in details of your first aid and LA course to be eligible. X

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow I didn't realise! I'v spent loads getting set up! Lol thank you I'll take a look x

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah have a look and apply, it's worth it. It definitely says on their website that it can be used for the cost of the LA course, first aid, medical, insurance and cost of toys/resources needed. Hopefully they'll see my registration date is recently so the start up costs I incurred 1year prior to being registered count towards now! Hopefully, otherwise I'm going on a £250 spending spree on toys as I have pretty much all equipment I need! :-)

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Also covers the cost of the DBS. X

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

So you cant just spend the money on what you want it has to be child minding related items?
    I viewed it as money back for the cost of my courses and dbs to spend how I want am I wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah covers the courses ect , you will have receipts for these so your fine .

Post Thanks / Like

The course we did CYPOP5 and first aid was all free with Barnardos. Can the grant be used to buy storage etc?

Jen x