After school care for a friend before being ofsted registered
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After school care for a friend before being ofsted registered

Hi Ladies, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am in the ofsted process at the moment and am just waiting for DBS forms before applying to ofsted. I everything else in place. A friend from school whose daughter is in my daughter's class has asked whether I could look after her from 28th April for two after school sessions a week (she is 7 and it would be 3.40-6pm). She knows I am not yet registered but as I know her very well, and I taught her daughter when I was doing my Level 3 training, she is not concerned and is happy to sign something to this effect. Is there a certain number of hours you can care for a child without being registered? I don't want to let her down, but likewise, I do not wish to land myself into trouble before I even start.

Thanks in advance

Emma.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You may look after a child for no more than 2 hours so you couldn't do it

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rick for the swift response.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you could if you didn't receive any payment of any kind. (This doesn't just include money, but chocs, flowers, wine etc are all counted as reimbursement)

See this sheet... http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloa...red.pdf&refer=

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I cared for my friend's children before my own registration came through, but was always careful to make sure it was only two hours a day (and told her very clearly that she would have to look elsewhere if she was ever late to pick up!). I think it was helpful in getting my first mindees after registration as I could say that I had a bit of experience (several months as it turned out) of looking after children other than my own.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Pre-reg stage and my Daughter has always got her friends round for tea for more than 2 hours, but I do this free of charge.

It will be a big shock for my Daughter once I am registered and she can no longer do this anymore!

On the other hand, it will be good to be getting paid for it!

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. They don't finish school until 3.40 and it takes me 20 minutes to walk home. Does that count as only 2 hours then

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont pick up until 3.40 and it takes 20 minutes to walk home. Would that count as only being 2 hours from when I get home till she leaves

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

unfortunately not, it is the time the responsibility for the child is transferred to you.

Imagine, would you only charge parents from when they got through your front door once you are registered?

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I know - I was just teasing ;-)

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taylored View Post
    I know - I was just teasing ;-)
    fair play x

12. Likes Taylored liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki5531 View Post
    I'm in Pre-reg stage and my Daughter has always got her friends round for tea for more than 2 hours, but I do this free of charge.

It will be a big shock for my Daughter once I am registered and she can no longer do this anymore!

On the other hand, it will be good to be getting paid for it! ?de03
    If you are having a friend to tea it doesn't matter how long you have them. As it is not being done for 'reward'. The only thing to consider is that you are within your ratio numbers.
    It was great once dd and her friends turned 8 and could come to play without me counting numbers all the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    If you are having a friend to tea it doesn't matter how long you have them. As it is not being done for 'reward'. The only thing to consider is that you are within your ratio numbers. It was great once dd and her friends turned 8 and could come to play without me counting numbers all the time!
    She never has more than 2 friends round for tea after school,

However, this will definitely stop after I'm registered, I'll be too busy trying to get used to my new mindees and getting into a routine without having to worry about my Daughters friends. Xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you not do it in the children's own house? It would then count as babysitting/nannying which doesn't have to be registered IIRC.

Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

THat wouldnt be possible. I have two children of my own, a dog and The child's dad works from home. There is a lack of after school care where I live and I am having to turn it away. Shame really.

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask if mum or dad could pick up at 5.40pm until your registered - if dad works from home and there is a shortage of childcare they might like to so this x