anyone childminded with 2 children under 5
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone childminded with 2 children under 5

So ive already started the process of registering but me and OH have since decided that in the next year we want to try for another baby meaning we would have 2 under 5.
    I really want to cm but no sure if it will be worth it if I can only have one mindie under 5 for the next 4 years. For all the effort that is involved and outgoings will I make a profit? Or am I better off waiting to register once my children are a bit older?
    As you can tell im really unsure what is the best thing to do.
    Anyone been in a situation like this I would really love some input please.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

that decision sits entirely with you. maybe if you dont need the income it might be a great time to start up as you will have experience under your belt before you wish to take on more children?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I started the registration process many years ago, I had 3 children under 5. I didn't complete it until my eldest went to school and then I only had one space. By the time my second started school I was expecting my 4th, so I still only had one place. And again, when the third went to school I was pregnant with number 5! I worked for years with only one space.

It wasn't until my 4th went to school that I could start to up my numbers. Back in the early days I was hardly earning anything, but at least I was working. It wouldn't have suited me being a stay at home mum, so childminding suited me perfectly. I also used the time while I was quiet to study, so I did my NVQ3 and various other courses.

By the time I got my second space I had been childminding for quite a while and had built up a good reputation. It meant I had no problem filing my second, and then third, spaces when they became available.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Worked for a long time with 2 under 5s spaces taken by my children. I was lucky that I had before and after schoolies as well
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the same as Mouse, as I had my own 3 children in 4 yrs. I started the reg. process while pregnant with my 3rd, but started minding a year later when my eldest began school, then just took on one pre schooler and a couple of schoolies that were the same age as eldest (5). I also used this ' gentle start ' time to do alot of training too. So perhaps you too could take on a couple of schoolies too to add more income xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I went out to work when I only had one child, however when I had 2 it wasn't worth it as would have paid more in childcare than I earnt (before tax credits etc), so I started childminding - only had one space, but at least I was earning something and staying at home with my own children. I had my 3rd child when the other 2 were older and at school - I worked until the day she was due, had 6 weeks summer hols off as *****minded for teachers and started again in the Sept.

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm due with my second in May and looking to start up. Had done the cypop5 cert. when my little one was about 1. Then found we couldn't childmind in flat we were in, block regulations(?). So we moved out to a different county to get cheaper rent, and garden etc. in the end I found a nanny job that I could take my little one with me. Had been doing that for over a year until I got pregnant again. They found a nanny they like d who wanted to start ASAP. So I finished up last week at 25 weeks pregnant.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone youve made things a lot clearer for me now. Hearing other peoples experiences helps me see its possible for me to do it too x

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I started off minding one child whilst my own two were very young. To me I was still earning whilst being at home for my own children. Also I didnt need to find or pay for childcare for my own children, so to me it really was beneficial to have just one and not have to go out to work. Good luck whatever you decide. (ps my 2 are now 18 & 21. Believe me the time goes soooo quickly) xx
    Julie X X

10. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I started childminding 20 years ago with an 11 month old and a nearly 3 year old of my own.

However I did it for what these days are considered the wrong reasons for starting up. I was a fairly senior Catering Manager earning a very good salary and much more than my teacher husband was. We had decided that when we had number 2 it would not be worth me going back to work because of the cost of paying childcare for two. (my daughters childminder in 1993 has cost 60% of my high salary and parents today complain about 24%!) My SIL was a cm and had done it because of the cost of childcare for two and it was a way to be at home with her two.

I started off with one 16 week old baby 1pm to 5pm everyday term time only. Suited me fine because it gave me the morning with my two and we had the holidays as a family. I looked after this little one until he was 3 and had his baby brother as well.

However we had no aspirations that I would replace my Catering Manager Salary. We knew that we would have a few years where we would have to really watch the pennies but it meant that I could stay at home with our two and for us that was more than worth the scarifies.

I do see on threads on here and in other places that new cms seem to have a very unrealistic expectation of what they can 'earn' and expect to do that from day one.

In my 20 years I have learnt it doesn't happen like that. Childminding is not like being employed and having a regular income. It can change in an instant and has for me. A couple of years ago I had 3 full timers who had been with me for 5 years and would have been with me for 5 more, one Dad was made redundant and the other two, siblings, moved 300 miles away because of Mums job. I lost them all within 3 months and it took me 18 months to built back to a similar income taking on many bits and pieces on the way to make ends meet.

The moral of the tale is that you have to work out if cm is for you bearing in mind that you will be limited in the number of children you can have and if you have another one you will be on maternity for some time so you need to take into account the impact this could have. Also you need to take into account if you could manage for a time if you lost a child and were unable to fill the vacancy immediately.

Sorry to be so blunt but sometimes we have to look at things as they are not as we would like them to be.

12. Likes hectors house, The Juggler, Jayse74 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rickysmiths - I certainly didn't go into childminding to make a living! When I started out I was earning £40 a week

14. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I agree with Rickysmiths - I certainly didn't go into childminding to make a living! When I started out I was earning £40 a week
    Im still not making money
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

16. Likes Mouse, The Juggler liked this post
    Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I started out childminding 24yrs ago I worked a 50hr week for £70, but as I mentioned I had my own children aged 5,3 and 1 so I added the fact that I was always there for them to my 'income' and I knew that no other job could give me this priceless benefit xx

18. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    I started off minding one child whilst my own two were very young. To me I was still earning whilst being at home for my own children. Also I didnt need to find or pay for childcare for my own children, so to me it really was beneficial to have just one and not have to go out to work. Good luck whatever you decide. (ps my 2 are now 18 & 21. Believe me the time goes soooo quickly) xx
    Doesn't it just. Mine are 21 and 19 now! My son, my baby, started Uni last Sept so he is 150 miles away, he has just been selected to go to Japan next year as part of the International Adult Support Team at the World Scout Jamboree. He has applied to go to China for his second year at Uni, we are waiting to hear if he has a place. I am so glad I was able to be at home for my two it what I had always wanted to do and to find a job that allowed me to do it was a real bonus. The fact that I found I enjoy it and am still doing it long after I could have stopped is even better. I just hope the actions of Gove and Truss don't put the kibosh on it all.

20. Likes julie w liked this post
    Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I mind my grandchildren at times I had 2 so only leaving me 1 space (I don't charge for my grandchildren) but I say how lucky I am spending so much time with the grandchildren completely out weighs the money I could earn by not having them
    So if you look at it you can be home looking after your children and earning a little bit of money (if you can manage on that) then great, time will soon go and you will be down to one of your own then start earning more money I have never resented not earning more I am now for the first time in 12 years earning reasonable money I may evan pay a bit of tax this year.
    Go for it
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank yoy for your honest replies.
    Ive alway wanted to childmind. I really missing working with children but I have alway been pretty determined that I wouldnt go back to work till my children started school. Money is tight for us so im really having to save to pay for the registration (I know its not that hard for some people). What I dont want to do is pay to register and pay for outgoings if im going to be making a loss which would be money I could spend on my family. As long as I can cover my costs and come up at least even im happy. After doing some sums tonight I can see it is possible for me.
    I hope in 20 years time I can still be childminding and be saying similar comments to some of yours :-)

23. Likes julie w liked this post
    Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I startes with two under 5. My son was 3 and daughter was new born. It was hard as many have said it was really slow but I have built up a good reoutation my children are now in full time school and I have a new baby who is just 8 months old. It certainly is a way to have the best of both as long as you dont go into it purely for the money as you have to see the benefits of being with your children as the pay for this job.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one child atm who is 2 years old. When I was teaching my husband and I wanted to try for another and have 2-3 years between them. That didn't work out, I hated teaching and struggled to secure more than year long contracts as that was all that was advertised in my area. I quit and decided to do the childminding and put child number 2 on hold for the same reasons as you; that I didn't feel I'd earn enough with one space. Now I'm thinking I'd rather be a bit more skint but happy and have no regrets so after discussing it I think we're going to try towards the end of the year and let nature take its course (took me two years to conceive last one!) I'm just going to try and get as much work in til then, work as much as I feel able to whilst pregnant to cushion us a bit and when/if we are lucky enough to have another focus more on out of school work and older ones to boost earnings. The downside to that would be if I ended up with twins! lol. No history in the family but would be just my luck lol. We also considered respite fostering and adoption but decided against for now because of the impact on the childminding. good luck in making the decision.