Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childminders with dogs

Do any of you own larger breeds of dog? Just wondering if you find you lose business due to have a dog? Thanks!!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dolly1985 View Post
    Do any of you own larger breeds of dog? Just wondering if you find you lose business due to have a dog? Thanks!!
    I have a labrador retriever - mid to large but not huge. He hasn't caused a problem yet. I don't think it is about the breed of the dog but the way the dog responds to visitors, I personally hate visiting someone who has a small terrier who yaps and scuffles around me the whole time I am there.

Some people just don't like dogs and don't want their children around them - the media and all the tales of dogs biting encourages this ...so if you are up front in your advertisement about having one they don't come near. Then you are left with those that are not against dogs but when they see some homes and their dogs they are put off for some reason.
    Someone recently on the forum was turned down because the parents were not happy with their alsation and somebody else said that their families were saying they don't want to go to a house with a dog.

I have had numerous enquiries and dissapointments on the parents side when I have said I am not available to them ...so my experience is that it hasn't affected my business but my 13 year old dog who still occasionally thinks he is sprightly and young ( don't we all) is very people friendly and a breed that is often suggested as good with children so he does a good PR job for himself .

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I have a big dog - Rottweiler cross American bulldog - she's so soppy with my own 3 children - youngest just turned 1. I'm still waiting to be registered - applied in April, so can't say from childminding side, but I have a waiting list of 3 kiddies waiting for me to be registered and the parents have told me that they love that I have a dog as their own children either have one as a pet or generally just love dogs! I'm sorry I can't comment about it putting anyone off or being a factor in choosing me as I haven't got to that stage yet - all my interest so far is 2 friends and a word of mouth that I would be registering. Are you thinking of getting one? Which one if you are? X

sept 12
    Non childminder member
    Please select
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a border collie. Have had 2 parents and 3 children all afraid of dogs and managed to 'convert' them all lol. I find if I keep him in the kitchen when people arrive and then introduce him rather then have him running barking at the door they are less likely to be intimidated. He's such a softie that he soon wins everyone over and i haven't lost any business through him. Having said that I'd be put off leaving my kids with anyone with a rottweiler, alsation, mastiff etc which I suppose makes me hypicritical (sorry i know I've spelt that wrong but it's been a long day!) Good luck with whatever you decide x

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

We are thinking about a Dobermann - i have grown up with large breeds all my life and I understand certain dogs seem scary / dangerous but I believe any dog can be dangerous and i would risk assess and obviously children would never be left alone with a dog! Just worried about other parents misconceptions!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 12 month old black Labrador. I have only been minding a few months so he was (and still is a puppy). But he is rather large! I make it clear to parents almost as soon as they enquire that we have a dog and how I manage him and the children. First family I minded for have since got a Labrador pup of their own. 2nd family don't have a dog but mum says after seeing him and speaking to me about my management of dog and children she is happy for her baby to be here (and says it saves her getting a dog at home as even though she loves them she wouldn't want one). Third family said no problem.

Obviously it does depend on the dog and also how you present the dog to the family and how you manage the dog with the children. Mostly ours are kept apart and gradually introduced at a time when both child and dog are having a calm moment. I believe having a dog in my setting can be a great experience for a child. It won't be for everyone but after reading another thread on here about things that put people off it seems there will always be something that makes a parent chose one person over another and you just can't please everyone.

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a v large Bernese mountain dog, she is a real softy, many of the new parents want to take her home with them when they visit, never really had any issues about parents not signing up, most have their own animals if not they want their children to grow up around them. I always tell inquiring parents on the phone when I have enquiries that I have pets so then it doesn't waste any ones time if they are not keen.

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been minding for many years and have not experienced any problems with having a dog. I always explain to parents on their initial contact that I have a dog, I have only ever had one parent say they would not use my services because of him and then it was an allergy problem. I have two parents who are frightened of dogs who have said that it has helped them and the love the fact that their children are not afraid of dogs. All this said I take basic precautions to ensure no problems can occur, for example dog is not in the room with the children unless I am present, children don't tease the dog or offer him sweets. Simple things really.

Mar 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for all your replies :-)

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

we have soppy black lab who loves everyone and they love her
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Good question as we are planning on getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback soon after we move (I will then be registering to become a childminder). I do also think it is very much dependant on how a dog is trained and what setting it grows up in.

Hooray for dogs

X

13. Likes dolly1985 liked this post